1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL or College Football?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Butterfingers, Aug 29, 2007.

1. BigAssBear

BigAssBear Member

I like both, and follow each of my teams (Longhorns and Texans) religiously. At the end of the day, I prefer NFL because of the higher level of competition... and I will forever hate the BCS. I'll never be happy until some sort of playoff system is input, and it can be done! But I watch both, hell... NCAA football, NFL and NBA are my life.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer the NFL. College rosters change too much every year, and I'd rather keep up with the 30 or so teams each year in the NFL rather than the 200 (or so it seems) in college football. But that's just me.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

College. I just love the pageantry, the tradition, the rivalries, and of course...the bands. The whole gameday atmosphere. Nothing like it.

I like the fact that different colleges run different offenses. I just wish the option would make a comeback. Maybe even the Wing-T. In the NFL, every offense looks exactly the same.

Once bowl season starts, I quit watching. Just a horrible way to end the regular season. A bunch of teams playing meaningless exhibition games in neutral stadiums. Yipee.....

Of course, with my excitement about the Texans this year, the NFL could very well overtake the NCAA for the first time since the Warren Moon days.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Definitely college.

NFL players come and go, switch teams, etc. Most players remain loyal to their school but not pro franchises - at that stage, it's all about the money.

5. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

College by a mile. You get to see so many things in college that just don't happen in the NFL. Last year, Arkansas played half their snaps without a real quarterback. Florida won a championship without a running back (unless you count Tim Tebow). Then the Boise State game, nuff said. I love the fact that when a visiting team goes to LSU, they can't hear the snap count. I love the idea that 150,000 people will show up for a Grambling-Southern game that 60,000 will get into, and nationally people only care about the bands.

Besides, for all the talk about poor execution in college, for the past 10 years the quality of play and execution in the NFL has went steadily downhill. Honestly, other than the Texans and occasional Monday Night Games, I rarely watch the NFL. But I don't miss a Saturday of College Football, and I start watching bowl games with the very first one.

6. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

I like both, actually. I guess I'd have to give the nod to college football, though. As a graduate of the University of Texas, I feel I have much more invested in my team -- I actually feel a true connection to the school. I live and die by those games on Saturdays. As a result of that connection (that I share with college graduates everywhere), the passion for individual games is much stronger than any given moment, for me, in the NFL. However, the NFL as a whole is much more interesting. The phrase "any given Sunday" really does mean something in that league. Teams like the Texans, Dolphins and Raiders have a legitimate chance of winning every week, regardless of whether or not they're playing the Patriots or the Browns. Where college football breaks down, in my opinion, is when schools like Texas and Arkansas State are forced to schedule each other because of a "mandatory" twelfth game. Also, the disparity between conferences (SEC v. Big East) and the differences in the structures within competing conferences (championship games in the Big XII and the SEC and none in the Pac 10 and Big Eleven) make it an uneven playing field.

Individual games in college (for me it's Texas)
    vs.
    Entire seasons in the NFL

Those are almost even.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Until the NCAA implements a playoff format, it's the NFL for me.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I miss NFL Primetime.

:(

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I think the New England Patriots might beg to differ with you.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I prefer the NFL on average, because the games on average are more contested. USC vs UT for the NC was the most entertaining gsme I've ever seen though, but I'm biased as a UT grad.

I just can't see the Texans getting involved in that type of game at the Super Bowl the way the game is played in the NFL.

11. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i find the NFL extremely boring, I can sit through maybe a couple of plays then I'm almost asleep. College football on the other hand, i love!

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

could not have said it better.

bcs = suckage

a lot of the guys in the nfl doing it just for money = suckage

13. Buck Turgidson

This is a joke, right? :confused:

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I love both, but for pure enjoyment, I love College...it just seems less tainted, if that makes any sense...

15. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I love my UH Cougars even more than the Texans, but since our exile to C-USA it hasn't been as easy to get jazzed about em. The East Carolina Pirates and Marshall Thundering Herd just aren't as easy for me to get passionate about hating as UT, AtM and Arkansas.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the big xii killed uofh athletics, its really sad. they used to compete, and sometimes win.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I go with the predictability factor. With the way the NFL is structured it can surprise you with a new champion every year. With the way college football is structured with the same 5-8 schools getting all the good players there really isn't much suspense.

18. conquistador#11

collegiate athletics make alberto and libby look like outstanding citizens.
    I have a couple of friends that played Basquet for UTPA and UTSA, all were given $ for food a week and trips to stilleto's, a strip club in Mcallen(from what I hear). And that was UTPA and UTSA, I can only imagine what goes on in the major universities.

19. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

this was a poll for college football vs pro football so why are you bringing up high school football ;)

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I too have a disdain for the BCS and they way the national title games are picked. But as a fan you have to admit that the bowl season is one of the funnest times of the year. So even though it can get frustrating the fun factor still remains. All those sexy matchups! So as a fan the bowls actually make for an enjoyable time. Which is a win for CFB over the NFL in my eyes.

Other things I love about CFB.
    Tradition, bigger offensive spectrum (spread, option, wildcats,) because the defenses aren't superhuman you see creative offenses and playcalls. Names typically aren't as big or bigger than the teams (its not typically marketed as "Payton vs Brady" in the NCAA). Overtime is much more exciting and fair.