1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL or College Football?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Butterfingers, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

What do you personally enjoy more/think is better and why? Personally I am a huge fan of Defense(I even liked Gundy ball :) ) and the NFL and love watching the best of the best play the best game in the world. I also hate college football because I dont like all the 60-7 blowouts which makes the game boring to me. I will admit the Rose Bowl from 2 years ago was one of the greatest games of all time and definitely one of my favorite games ever. But how often does a Vince Young or a great game like that come? Plus the NFL is full of these close 3-7 point games because of all the parity.

Another HUGE reason I hate college football is because there are 119(IIRC) teams!!! When the NFL, NBA, and College Footballs seasons overlap ESPN is living hell. You have to watch through about 30 minutes of college football highlights just to finally see some NFL or NBA action on sportscenter. So which do you like more?

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

according to ESPN, there are only two teams.

USC and Notre Dame.

3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Well, in college they play harder and play more for love of the game, but I like the NFL better...probably because of fantasy football

4. Butterfingers

Oh believe me once the full season kicks in. You will be watching West Virginia, Texas, LSU, Oklahoma, Louisville, Georgia, Auburn, Ohio State, Michigan, Florida, Miami, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, California, UCLA and I'm pretty sure I am definitely missing some other teams that get good coverage.

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

in the NFL, players get paid.

in the NCAA, players get paid.

6. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

very true, but at least in college they don't get paid enough to retire on, so they either play hard b/c they love it or so that they one day will really get paid in the NFL

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Both. I think both league's have enough positives to make them both equally enoyable. However, I have noticed that I'm a little more excited about the NFL season than College this year.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate the NFL because of the media. The NCAA has not sold its soul like the NFL has.

9. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Is there even any reason to follow a team in the NFL anymore? The current NFL landscape calls for massive overhauls of teams year after year. I for one hate parody. It just makes having a team doing well a particular year to be more based on luck than anything else.

10. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I'll always be a NCAA fan over NFL. Growing up in a state with no pro teams, it makes the college teams very popular.

When the Oilers left Houston, I was through with the NFL and outside of Holidays and Superbowls, I hardly watched any other games. With the Texans - I'm watching again.

NCAA still wins.

11. tulexan

tulexan Member

It's close, but I think I will go with college football. The games seem to have so much more emotion and it's really tough to beat a huge rivalry game between closely matched teams.

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Completely disagree with you .. they are no different.

I love College Football all year until it gets to the end and no one wins. Its like an awesome movie with a terrible ending ... or just like the Sopranos. very disappointing.

13. WildSweet&Cool

I like the NFL. I don't like college football for the same reasons you've listed.

Additionally...

College players get paid and play for the betterment of their careers just like the pros do.

The NCAA has sold its soul to the media like the NFL has.

When I watch college football, I see sloppy offensive execution and sloppy defensive execution. It's just a sloppy game.

The teams represent schools. I have no affinity or loyalties to any school. So none of the teams are "my" team.

14. Asian Sensation

College Football all the way. The NFL IMHO wouldn't be nearly as popular without FANTASY FOOTBALL!

15. Butterfingers

The only team I am loyal to is Texas and that is because it is mainly my states school and I love Texas(the state) like no other. There is ONE good thing IMO about College Football, and that is the rivalries. Facing your schools archrival in High School or College is one of the greatest feelings/atmospheres ever. Always sold out, loud, and so much heart and passion. But that is only one game lol. Whereas the NFL actually has A PLAYOFF SYSTEM and every playoff game is pretty much the equivalent of each of those rivalry games lol. Not to mention there are no stupid controversies like when Auburn(13-0) got snubbed out of the championship game because there were 2 other undefeated teams. For christs sake, last year the only undefeated team was Boise State and it didnt even get a sniff at the BCS! At least NFL gives 12 teams a shot to fight it out for the undisputed champion and not let the stupid biased media affect the outcome of the championship. So NFL still rules! :p

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I love them both for different reasons. Living in Austin, the gameday atmosphere is so much fun. Tailgating is a blast. The passion seems to be there more. I can't stand the bowl system, however. Why they can't have a playoff is beyond me.

I love the NFL because it's the game at the highest level. I'm a huge Texans fan (even though I hardly get any coverage in Austin). I love fantasy football.

I just love football season. I can watch any game...pro or college.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

College all the way. Every game counts and once in a blue moon a nobody team like Boise St. punks a bunch of Dirt Burglers in a major bowl game.

Hook'em

18. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not even a contest. College Football all the way.

19. conquistador#11

when boise St. has a chance to start in the top 5, with USC,LSU, florida, and texas,then I will become a fan of college football.
    Some teams have already lost by beginning the season ranked at 18th. why even have a poll before a single game has been played? the beauty of the NfL is that everyone has a shot! Go Texans :)

20. Butterfingers

Amen my fellow spaniard!

To the people who say College Football all the way/its not even a contest?? I think a good majority of America disagrees with you, try not to be ignorant.