1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] More than 10 players test positive for steroids

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Yao_Mac, Oct 24, 2008.

1. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

McAllister, Smith among players reportedly testing positive

ESPN.com news services

A number of NFL players -- including Deuce McAllister and Will Smith of the New Orleans Saints -- have tested positive under the NFL's steroid policy as a result of taking water pills to lose weight, according to a report from Fox 31-Denver reporter Josina Anderson.

Anderson's report cited "a rash of positive tests." The number is more than 10 and may exceed 15, two sources have told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Attorney David Cornwell told Mortensen he has been retained by "a number of players" to represent them in the NFL appeals process, but Cornwell wouldn't say who those players were or the exact number who have retained his legal services.

Smith's listed agent, Joel Segal, was not immediately available to comment, according to Fox 31-Denver. A representative for McAllister's agent, Jim Steiner, said the agent would call that station back.

Under the NFL's steroid policy, a player's first positive test results in a four-game suspension.

According to Anderson's report, McAllister and Smith are part of a group that tested positive for a diuretic known as Bumetanide. Others tested positive for a different substance.

"Most of them tested positive for Bumetanide," said the league source, according to Fox 31-Denver. "The last few tested positive for another substance that works similarly."

A source told Fox 31-Denver that Bumetanide "can also mask the use of other drugs or steroids."

Bumetanide is a drug belonging to a group of medicines called loop diuretics or "water pills." Its uses include the treatment of fluid retention and swelling caused by medical conditions such as congestive heart failure, liver disease, and kidney disease, Fox 31-Denver reported.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3661845

2. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Nobody will care.

The NFL gets away with murder. Quite literally, almost.

Club fiascos? Drugs? "The NBA is a bunch of thugs."

Steroids? "Man, nobody wants to watch baseball because they're a bunch of cheaters."

Ridiculous contracts? "MLB/NBA players make too much money."

All of the above plus dog fighting? "Are you ready for some football?!?"

:rolleyes:

3. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

water pills? never heard of them. I'm gonna have to look into that one out of sheer curiosity.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

so is the point of the story that these water pills shouldn't be treated as steroids?

5. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

the writer doesn't seem to have an end point - but that is the feeling i am walking away with after reading this story.

6. xcharged

xcharged Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8nOKJTL6Tg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D8nOKJTL6Tg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

To the NFL's defense, the NBA got their thug image because people saw Ron Artest going into the stands and fighting a fan in that debacle in Detroit.

However, the NFL has the most problems out of any other professional league out there.

-More arrests and incidents involving NFL players than any other league(mike vick, pacman jones, tank johnson, the bengals, etc.)
    -Steroids are being used

And they still do not get much heat from the media

8. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

I think some players are testing positive for the water pill, but I have a feeling that some other names may surface due to actual steroids test...just a hunch

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Actually the "thug" image was before Artest. If I had to pinpoint the turning point, I would say Allen Iverson. But I agree, the NFL had some many problems, including just this year alone and still don't get much heat.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, that looks pretty interesting. Watching a bunch of videos about it online now.

11. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

I think Artest just solidified the image; that it was there long before him, when hip-hop and basketball started getting tied together.

But that's social commentary, and this is a thread about big-ass guys using steroids. It really doesn't bother me, because you kind of expect it. I'm just tired of football being untouchable.

Maybe it's because I live in Texas, where it's entirely inescapable.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the water pills stuff can mask steroids and is not reasonably used for any maladies that these players would have, then I have no issue whatsoever punishing these players as if they tested positive for actual steroids. They wouldn't be taking these water pills if they weren't covering something up (going off the list of problems that a person would actually take the water pills for in the article, none of these guys are taking the pills legitimately).

I wonder if these pills are mentioned specifically in the NFL's drug policy? If so, then the players have no real defense.

13. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Water Pills?!?!? Whay are these b-tches trying to loose weight?

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

What about the incompetent, senile, and (sometimes) corrupt refs?

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Will the suspensions be effective immediately? I need to know if I should look at picking up Pierre Thomas.

16. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Loop diuretics pretty much make you piss alot, and the urine will be more water heavy than normal (less electrolytes, waste, etc). So it could potentially mess with anything that is tested through urine.

Maybe a bunch of players are trying to hide their mar1juana use, lets not all jump to conclusions just yet.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Haha Saints

18. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

[​IMG]

oops... my bad.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Nice plug!