1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Missing Out on Texans, Cowboys Rivalry

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

As Houstonist anticipates this Friday's pre-season match-up in Irving, Texas between the Texans and Cowboys, Houstonist was wondering why it isn't an annual regular season game?

Since November 10, 1991, The Dallas Cowboys and the Houston Oilers and Houston Texans have met for a total of four times in a regular season game. Yeah, Houstonist knows the crazy NFL scheduling that you play teams not in your division every four years and that the city was without a football team for five years, but sometimes things need to change. The NFL needs to have the Texans and Cowboys playing every single year in a regular season game.

There's nothing else to debate. When you think of Houston v. Dallas in anything, you think of pure hatred for the other city. And it ain't pretty. Houstonist has been in the stands quite a few times when fisticuffs have broken out. And that includes Rockets, Mavericks and Astros, Rangers as well. If you were at last year's Texans, Cowboys pre-season game at Reliant Stadium, you know it didn't feel like a pre-season game. It was loud. It was rowdy. And 70,512 Texans fans were standing the entire game as they went home happy with a 28-16 victory.

When you think of the Lone Star State, you think of mad-hungry football fans. You think of Friday Night Lights. So it only makes sense to have two Texas teams battle it out year in and year out for Texas supremacy in the regular season. Heck, even MLB knew how powerful interstate rivalries could be and that's why they made it mandatory that it was part of the MLB scheduling. Astros and Rangers is no Cowboys and Texans rivalry, but it'll get there in time.

Mr. Roger Godell, Houstonist doesn't really favor on telling people how to do their jobs, but the NFL is missing out on a rivalry that could just be just as great as the Bears-Packers, Cowboys-Redskins, Bengals-Browns and even Colts-Patriots. 24 million Texans would thank and you and there is no doubt all of America would be hooked on this annual showdown.

Texas Stadium in Irving, Texas

Friday, August 22 at 7:00 p.m.
    Houston Texans v. Dallas Cowboys
    TV: CBS Channel 11
    Tickets: www.DallasCowboys.com

http://houstonist.com/2008/08/20/nfl_missing_out_on_texans_cowboys_r.php

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

THat's stupid. The NFL scheduling is perfect as is.

Division teams play 14 of the same opponents. The other games are determined by how the team finished the previous year. With only 16 games, you need to have a fair scheduling system.

3. Landlord Landry

Agreed. Cowboys arent a rival. If you go to Dallas I think most cowboy fans dont really care about the texans. they hate the eagles and redskins.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they're a rival the same way they were for the oilers...because they're from dallas. scheduling be damned. when houston and dallas play, it means something every time.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

exactly.

if you cant get behind an annual regular season Houston v. dallass game, i'm going to assume you're not a native houstonian, and - thusly - not give a damn what your opinion is.

6. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I am able to remain a fan of both teams because of the way it's currently scheduled. I also love how conveniently the Cowboys play 15 minutes right after the Texans finish up their game. Let's just leave it this way.

I don't think there will ever be a rivalry between these two teams. The Texans-only-fans will say otherwise, however.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This needs to happen -- it would be great for the Texans to get a true rival.

8. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Well, there IS a way we could play a meaningful game with the Cowboys every year...

9. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

lol no kidding.

It's pretty hard to argue with the way the NFL schedules games now.

I am a Cowboys, Astros, Rockets fan that's from Houston but goes to school in Dallas. I hate the Mavs but I really don't care about the Rangers or the Texans. I just don't see the rivalry between the two cities that so many Houstonians seem to be so consumed with.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's why its special every four years, like the olympics, I also agree that the nfl has a really scheduling system. its simple, everyone understands

11. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

I do. Anytime I mention anything Houston here in Dallas, it's always "Houston sucks!!". There is plenty of Houston hate in Dallas (mostly friendly, just like in Houston).

I'm a all Houston fan, but don't mind watching the Cowboys. I usually want them to lose because of Jerry Jones.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ditto, except I like the Texans too...and, the rivalry is there, but more so in basketball than football, IMHO...I'd love to see more regular season games against the Cowboys and Texans..

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cowboys, meh.

I want the Steelers, Browns, and Bengals.

14. Poloshirtbandit

His will be done.

[​IMG]

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Who says our hate for Dallas is friendly.

16. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

An all Texas Super Bowl.

17. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Member

It is friendly. When attacked on by outsiders, we band together. ;)

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I was born and raised. It would just **** up a perfect system. It's mathematically beautiful.

You wouldn't care if the Texans lose out on a playoff spot because they lost to the Cowboys instead of playing the Dolphins?

For those who don't know. This is how the schedule works:

Of the 16 games:
    6 games come from within the division

4 games come from a division within the conference (Ex. The AFC south plays the AFC North this year so the Texans, Colts, Titans and Jags will play ALL the same North Teams)

4 games come from a division outside the Conference. (ex The AFC south plays the NFC North this year)

The last 2 games are THE ONLY games that are different for each team in the division. They are determined by how the team finished in the division the previous year. So the Texans finished last year and will play the Raiders and Dolphins this year because those teams also finished last. That's why the Colts and Pats play every year...they are always first.

Every year, the division vs. division rotates.

19. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Steelers, Browns and Bengals= Meh, Meh and Meh. Those are the old Titans' rivals. Move on.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

we should play the Saints and the Cowboys every year.

why are we playing the entire NFC north this year?