1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL - Mike Williams is going pro

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by keeley, Feb 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. tigereye

tigereye Member

This is great news for the Texans.

Williams is Top 10 pick material, there is no doubt about that. And the fact that more outstanding offensive underclassmen talent might declare......offensive players would then bombard the top 10 spots now making it much more likely that the top defensive talent like Sean Taylor, Keneche Udeze etc..........would slip and fall to the Texans at No. 10.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I was shocked to learn Roy was only 6'2", 208. He always looked 6'5" when he was on the field.

Larry Fitzgerald actually measured taller than Roy by an 1/8 or two. I was also shocked to see Fitz is expected to post a 4.4 40. I wouldn't have thought he could do 4.6. Heck Mike Williams Reggie Williams and Michael Clayton are all bigger than Roy and Rashaun Woods weighs more.

For you out-of towners here is McClain's Roy article from today:

Texas' Williams has few regrets
    Draft prospect says extra year helps
    By JOHN McCLAIN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

INDIANAPOLIS -- University of Texas receiver Roy Williams is determined to keep the past right where it belongs -- behind him. Williams is not interested in looking back at what might have been.

He might have been the second or third overall pick in last year's draft ahead of receivers Charles Rogers (Detroit) or Andre Johnson (Texans), but he decided to play one more season for the Longhorns because he wanted a national championship and the Heisman Trophy.

"There was some disappointment, just because we lost three games," Williams said Friday at the NFL scouting combine. "We usually lose only one or two. We didn't get the national championship. We lost the Oklahoma game. Those are the only things that bothered me.

"I think I did the right thing. I think I improved on and off the field. I got better in school and in my personal life. I think I made the right move."

Which was no move at all, really. Now Williams finds himself rated first or second with Pittsburgh sophomore Larry Fitzgerald.

With the possible addition of USC sophomore Mike Williams, the April 24-25 draft in New York is shaping up as the best and deepest in history for wide receivers. Broadcast reports on Friday said Mike Williams would bypass his last two years of college.

Roy Williams said he wasn't ready for the NFL last year.

"I still needed to improve my run blocking," he said. "I needed to learn to run crisper routes. I think I accomplished that."

Williams, 6-2 1/4 and 208 pounds, might not be drafted as high as he might have been last year, but he has become a better NFL prospect by staying in school for his senior year, according to Tennessee scout C.O. Brocato.

"I gave Roy the highest grade I've given a player since Ray Childress," Brocato said about the former Texas A&M defensive end, who was drafted third overall by the Oilers in 1985. "Roy's special, let me tell you.

"He's got the kind of size and speed you want. He's got great quickness. He catches the ball and makes quick moves like a smaller receiver. He's got a great change of direction. He's got big, powerful hands.

"Roy's got everything it takes to become a perennial Pro Bowl selection."

Williams' decision to wait for this year's draft might end up costing him a couple of million dollars, but he has no regrets. With B.J. Johnson and Sloan Thomas, the Longhorns had the best group of receivers in the nation.

Unfortunately for the receivers, rather than playing with a veteran quarterback such as the departed Chris Simms, they were breaking in a first-time starter in Chance Mock and a redshirt freshman in Vince Young.

"We groomed a young quarterback in Vincent, so I can say that this receiving class with me, B.J. and Sloan helped get him to be a little bit better," Williams said. "I think it was a great season overall."

Asked if Young, Johnson and Thomas convinced him to return for his senior year, Williams laughed and said: "Oh, no. They were trying to kick me out. It was in a joking way. Those guys really wanted me to stay. It was all fun and games."

Football is big business for Williams now. After he's drafted, he'll become a multimillionaire. The only questions are: where will he be drafted, who will draft him and how much money will he make?

"I'd like to be the No. 1 receiver drafted," he said. "I'd like to be the No. 1 overall pick, but this draft is so good, you have so many great players to choose from, so who knows?

"This is a great class of wide receivers with Fitzgerald, (LSU's Michael) Clayton and (Washington's) Reggie Williams. And Mike Williams makes this draft more interesting. He's so big, strong and athletic. He's a playmaker who can do everything.

"The list goes on and on, so we're all in this big pot. We all want to do the best we can to impress the teams."

With the Longhorns last season, Williams didn't have as many chances to impress NFL teams catching balls down the field as Fitzgerald did at Pitt. The Panthers' offensive philosophy was to send Fitzgerald on routes down the field. Scouts say Williams ran shorter routes.

"We were in different offenses," Williams said. "We ran and threw the ball. He had a lot of deep balls to my short balls. I can easily turn a short one into a long one, so that's the way I showcase my talent. It's a special talent that God gave me, and I try to use it to the best of my ability."

No matter what team drafts Williams, odds are he will get the ball down the field a lot more than he did at Texas.

"It just depends on what kind of style of offense and how they utilize me," he said. "I can make the plays whether they're long or short (routes)."

Williams played against some of the nation's best defensive backs but says the best was former UT cornerback Quentin Jammer.

"Quentin by far," he said about his former teammate who was San Diego's No. 1 pick. "He's big, fast and physical. He's the one that got me where I am today."

3. tozai

tozai Member

His size is fine. He's a solid 6'2 from seeing him in person, seemed a little taller. Probably because of shoes. Different people are giving different measurements. On the NFL site they said he was 6 2.5 and 212 and they said Fitz was over 6 2 and 225. But an ESPN guy said Fitz was only a little over 6'.

I think Roy ran a 4.46 last year. If Fitz can run in that range I'd be surprised.

4. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Hard to believe Reggie Williams is getting so little love. IMO, he's gonna be a stud.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Fitz is simply the best WR to come out in a while, even better than Charles Rogers last year. Both guys (Ftiz, Rogers) have things that seperate themselves from the Roy W, Mike W or Andre Johnson that go beyond size and speed, and that is playmaking ability even when opponents defensives know the ball is going to them.

Not sure between Roy and Mike, but I suspect they are the 2nd or 3rd Wrs taken and both in the early half of the first round.

Reggie Williams has a lot of talent too, probably a 1st rounder taken after the other Williams.

Both Claytons, Woods, probably good 2nd or later round picks.

Tons of good to great receivers in the draft.

6. Desert Scar

I am a long time Horn fan but this is very questionable. For LSU Clayton was very close to be being as good as Roy, and Henderson and Green make a more difficult 2nd and 3rd option to contend with than Johnson and Sloan.

You could make a case for USC's core for being better than UT's as well with Mike Williams and the other speed guys they had.

I am not saying UT doesn't have an argument, but I'd say they probably were not quite the best.

And the stuff that Roy W is the best prospect since Childress, well that reminds be of the guy saying our overrated DE from last year was a better player than Julius Peppers.

7. Desert Scar

The knock in his is his attitude, which is why Fitz, Roy and Mike will all go before him. I do think Reggie W is probably a top 4 WR talent in this year' draft and at worst will slip to the 2nd round (like Antonio Bryant) where a team says no matter what his attitude I can't not take a talent like this with my 2nd rounder.

8. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I've heard the attitude tag on him, but not specifics...is he a 'me' guy? A poor practice player? Off field problems? Do you know particulars?

9. tozai

tozai Member

You don't think Roy has playmaking ability. If he has an OC who lets him loose we'll see. What little touches he had were enough to show me.

Who said Redding was better than Peppers? I never ever heard that. I don't think we had THE best receiving corps. But talent wise they are up there in the top 5. I always thought Johnson was a little overrated and Thomas a little underrated. Too bad they were never used as much as they should have been.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Ummm,

I thought 2 weeks ago a majority of the people didn't think that wasn't 3 years out of HS was ready for the pros?

I guess all that thinking has changed

:)

11. tozai

tozai Member

Um, no. People think that out of HS or less than 2 yrs. out of college isn't ready. Anyway, it looks like Williams might not be entering. He might not be a top 10 pick. The consensus is that he wouldn't go as high this year as next year and is better served to going back for that reason as well as getting more experience. Unless he weighs in at 225 and runs a 4.4 (which he wouldn't), he should stay.