1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Draft 2013

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Roxnostalgia, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

UPDATE: <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=7883082#post7883082">The start of the NFL Draft</a>
    <HR>
    I didn't see a thread for this. Really just wanted to post this news about Utah's Star Lotululei having been flagged for a heart condition yesterday at the combine. He will not be allowed to work out with the lineman pending other tests.

Star was Kiper's number 1 overall prospect. Already the PEDs allegations are swarming (disclaimer: I went to Utah so I can personally vouch for Star's integrity and say that he would NEVER do such a thing;)).

Star is a husband and father of two young girls so it's a good thing these types of tests are done as they can potentially save lives. As for his playing career? Who knows at this point?

2. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

This is my first year watching the combine and at first I was thinking to myself that there have been so many decent NFL players with horrible showings at the combine, but then I take a look at a couple of the offensive linemen a couple days ago and can see with my own two eyes that they are not moving/bending as well as others.

This does however help out guys who were projected in the 4th/5th rounds to maybe move up a round or two by impressing a couple gullible GMs.

I mainly want to keep my eyes on a couple of standouts to see if they fall to my team (Redskins.)

Today is the big day though with the DBs... you can never have enough DBs and the Redskins just might draft 2 of them this year.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

#3 emjohn, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

And Manti was almost 15 pounds less than listed. I think he's going to slide, though I think Harbaugh was shaking his head simply because he was wondering if Teo would beat his previous speed. I may be wrong.

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Teo stock is going to drop...could see him drop to mid late 2nd round...and its sad...who knows what the entire story is...but this kid was crucified by the media/national fans...

The kid from SMU 6 8 (Hunt??) is a freak, but he may just be a bit too big...might not be able to get low enough...but imagine the nightmare of throwing against JJ SWatt on one side and this 6' 8 beast on the other...

More and more, i see the Texans getting the best available player on the board if their WR of choice is not available with their first pick...

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Sorry to stay in the state of Utah but lookout for Ezekial Ansah from BYU. This guy is is a freak. A little real coaching and he is Jevon Kearse.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Raiders interested in Geno Smith?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on NFL 32 Wednesday that the Raiders have interest in West Virginia QB Geno Smith with the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

"Word around the NFL is the Raiders have interest in Geno Smith with that third overall pick in the draft," said Mort. "Now I can't get this confirmed by the team, but Geno Smith is a guy that everybody sees as a top-10 pick right now -- not everybody -- but he's got a chance to go in the top ten. And if the Raiders do like him, you better take him at No. 3." Mortensen indicated that Oakland would likely release Carson Palmer if Smith were drafted.

Oklahoma LT Lane Johnson described his Combine interview with the Bengals as "probably the weirdest meeting I've ever been a part of."

“One thing caught me off guard. I was meeting with Cincinnati, and I went in there and they told me to remember five things. They just listed five things like a bear, a flower, a tree, a man and like a dog. And they told me to remember those terms, at the end of the meeting to see if I could remember them. And from that point on, they listed numbers. They said, like, 9167, and then told me to repeat them in reverse order. So that was probably the weirdest meeting I’ve ever been a part of.”

8. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

lol @ the Cincy interview. He can't be the only one who had that type of experience with them. As for Geno going to the Radiers, I think it's a bad move. The QB class in this years isn't that great. If I were Oakland, I would either draft the best LT available or CB available OR trade back that 3rd overall pick for a few midround picks. They have holes everywhere on the team and the hole the QB sits in probably isn't as large as the hole in the Oline. How about a top corner to compete in the same division with Denver?

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I doubt the Raiders will draft Smith.

1.) Weak QB Class
    2.) They need help all over the place
    3.) Doesn't exactly reflect well on ownership if the current regime decides to cut a guy you just traded 1st and 2nd round picks for.
    4.) They are desperate need of upgrades all over the roster and trading down would be their ideal outcome.
    5.) Maybe take a longer look at Tyrelle Pryor

It would be in their best interests to leak information about taking Smith to try and coax Arizona to move up. Arizona tried to put out a smokescreen that they were interested in Matt Barkley 7th overall. Really? Barkley over Geno Smith? I doubt it. You'd be an idiot to take him over Geno Smith, especially with the recent success of RG3, Russell Wilson, etc.

I'd draft EJ Manuel over Matt Barkley. Matt Barkley is trash.

#9 moestavern19, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Interesting thing about this is Iast season Matt Barkley showed how big-headed he is by saying he would've been drafted in front of RGIII. He had a good year last year but even before he got hurt he wasn't on RGIII's level. I'm predicting he will get picked by the Raiders, Browns or the Vikings. The only one of those teams Barkley has a chance of taking to the playoffs is Minnesota and that's only because he has the same chance Ponder has and that chance gets better x20 because of AP.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

13. underoverup

underoverup Member

14. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Wasn't the Palmer trade all Hue Jackson's doing? The new gm Mckenzie hasn't been there that long.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Pro Football Weekly's Nolan Nawrocki is at it again! The same guy who made headlines & ripped Cam Newton is doing the same to Geno Smith.

Nawrocki on Smith:

Negatives: Operated an offense where he received adjustments from the sidelines and was often out of sync with receivers. Average field vision and coverage recognition — forces throws and does not work through progressions. Takes unnecessary sacks and does not feel pressure well. Not an elusive scrambler. Shaky lower-body mechanics — does not stand tall in the pocket (crouches, hops, dances and elevates to his toes when he throws). Has pin legs and bad pocket posture. Operated almost exclusively from the gun. Not a student of the game. Nonchalant field presence — does not command respect from teammates and cannot inspire. Mild practice demeanor — no urgency. Not committed or focused — marginal work ethic. Interviewed poorly at the Combine and did not show an understanding of concepts on the white board. Opted not to compete at the Senior Bowl and has approached offseason training as if he has already arrived and it shows in his body with minimal muscle definition or strength. Has small hands and glaring ball security issues (32 career fumbles). Really struggled handling the snow in Pinstripe Bowl (took two safeties) and will be troubled by the elements. Needed to be coddled in college — cannot handle hard coaching.

Summary: Started the season red-hot with the help of two playmaking receivers and created a national stir generating a lot of overexcitement in the scouting community. Quickly came down to earth after Kansas State disguised coverages and brought pressure he could not handle and he finished dropping six of his final eight games. A cross between Akili Smith and Aaron Brooks, Smith is a gimmick, overhyped product of the system lacking the football savvy, work habits and focus to cement a starting job and could drain energy from a QB room. Will be overdrafted and struggle to produce against NFL defensive complexities.

Nawrocki on Newton:

Negatives: Played in a simplified, run-first, dive-option read offense with very basic high-low reads. Worked exclusively out of the gun and was very quick to run at the first flash of coverage. Limited field vision — does not process the passing game. Inconsistent throwing mechanics with a flick delivery — generates all of his power from his upper-body strength and too often arms the ball. Streaky passer with spotty accuracy. Makes his receivers work hard and throws into coverage. Does not spin a tight spiral. Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and always will struggle to win a locker room. Only a one-year producer. Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable.

Summary: An extremely talented, dual-threat QB who carried Auburn to a national title, Newton has the arm and athletic talent desired in a rollout, play-action, bootleg vertical passing game and would fit ideally into an offense such as that of the Redskins or Raiders. However, he always will test the rules, be difficult to manage and lacks the intangibles to win the trust of a locker room. Will require a very strong-willed, demanding coach to live up to his potential and avoid the trappings of fame and fortune, but even the greatest taskmaster will not be able to keep away the drama that is still swirling from a stained Heisman Trophy and littered recruiting trail that Newton left in the SEC. Can provide an initial spark, but will quickly be dissected and contained by NFL defensive coordinators, struggle to sustain success and will not prove worthy of an early investment. An overhyped, high-risk, high-reward selection with a glaring bust factor, Newton is sure to be drafted more highly than he should and could foreclose a risk-taking GM's job and taint a locker room.

#15 J.R., Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

California's Keenan Allen, the No. 1-rated wide receiver on some teams' boards, was red-flagged for a drug test at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and ordered to undergo another test this month, league sources have said.

Allen's agent, J.T. Johnson, denied that his client has failed any drug test. One source said Allen had suspiciously high levels of water in his system.

The results of his most recent test are unknown at this time, but it will be another question that follows Allen as he tries to bounce back from the knee issues that prevented him from working out at Indianapolis.

ESPN.com's Mel Kiper Jr. has Allen ranked fourth among prospective receivers and going 40th overall to the Tennessee Titans in his latest mock draft.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

DeAndre Hopkins (& Mark Harrison ?) responsible for trashed hotel room

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who hasn't left a room covered in feces and piss when they were on the biggest job interview of their life?

19. 45souf

45souf Member

If detroit lands Austin..That offense will be slick...Megatron on one side, Austin on the other, Bush in the backfield...Wow

20. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

Oakland Raiders... were qb's go to die

unfornately if Geno doesnt pan out with the Raiders, this stupid black qb stereotype will only grow stronger