1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL.com] Mike Jenkins hoping to be traded - more depth at CB for the Texans?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rookie34, May 22, 2012.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-skip-cowboys-otas?module=HP11_headline_stack

I was wondering if Mike Jenkins would be a decent CB/DB for this team. It's not that we have a lot of guys with experience and I still 'don't trust' Kareem Jackson to be our CB #2 ...

As for now, here are the CB/DB's on the roster:

I think a 'conditional'/late round draft pick will be enough to get him. Asante Samuel was traded for a 7th round pick. :rolleyes:
    We have to trade for Jenkins if we want him. If Dallas releases him, we probably can't afford to sign him anyway ...

2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Being a Cowboys fan, I think it's unfortunate that it's come to this. In 2009 he looked like a complete stud. He got in WR's faces and hassled them into bad spots, then he took advantage and played the ball in the air extremely well.

The bad thing is... he hasn't even KIND of shown flashes of that since then. He tries to muscle up on WRs, but they go right by him. Then he replies by just grabbing the guy and getting blatant PIs. And even when he was in position to make a play on the ball, he ended up getting PI anyways.

I think a change of scenery would be good for him. I don't think it will turn him back into his 2009 self, but it can't possibly get any worse for him than last season.

With that being said, if I'm Jerry Jones I don't even think about sending him to Houston. You guys handed Demeco Ryans to the Eagles.... you'll get nothing from the Cowboys.

3. 45souf

45souf Member

If we do get him, he will be better then the last dallas cb we got from you guys..Thats for sure

4. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Anythings an upgrade over Kareem Jackson so I'd do it.

5. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Yeah, we handed away a guy every team in the league knew we didn't have a spot for.....

With that being said, Jerry Jones will do whatever he pleases....and that mostly entails making bad football decisions while he tries to play two roles. We may not get him, but don't expect the Cowboys to make a power move.

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't see Kubiak wanting a guy that's skipping out on team activities while still under contract. And I don't see Wade wanting a guy that quit on him 2 years ago. That whole squad gave up on him, but Jenkins' in-game lay-down was particularly damning.

If he was brought in, he'd have to fight up from the 4th spot at best. If Wade/Kubes ever opened their eyes about Kareem, CB2 should be McCain's to lose.

We're loaded with CBs as it is, especially short ones (JJo is tallest at 5'11"). If we're to add one more, let's get a behemoth CB like Seattle.

7. conquistador#11

watching him in the playoffs last year, there is no doubt kareem will be the ambiturner we all dreamed he could be. Will he have make up speed facing a speedster? No. But with the holy phenoms on the defensive line and line backing unit, the qb won't have enough time to toast kareem with the long bomb.
    so no , no jenkins. and money doesn't grow on mcnair's peach orchard!

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

this is too easy and obvious.

Kubes loves his kids. No way he allows someone they didn't draft to replace Kareem.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

What's this "we" stuff Tonto?

10. 713

713 Member

this.

11. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

kareem got beat on some pretty great throws/catches last season, year 1 he was getting dumped at the LOS and having his man take off to the endzone.. kareem is solid in coverage.. people dont see this, they want to label him a bust until he puts up revis like numbers..

solid coverage, great catches...
    http://assets.sbnation.vid.io/c45444b1df6dc92b5eb7d9c4472df57b.mp4
    http://assets.sbnation.vid.io/82247c5ba10fffdfdfddf594f9406bb8.mp4

12. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Improved but still hasn't fixed what was broken. Lack of ball instincts. Grabbing jersey because he can't locate the ball. Can't defend the deep routes. And it's not like Anquan Boldin is a speedster either, which most #2's are nowadays. But whether because of his own play, improved pass rush, or JJo on the other side, he has improved from week 1 to week 17 this season.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Spending even decent money on corners right now is a waste of money. And bad allocation of resources in general. If the Texans have a few million bucks free to spend, I'd much rather have then trade/sign a solid receiver that can catch the ball.

14. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

a little bit of that and this..

improved pass rush, improved safety play, adding j-jo, and adjusting to the NFL speed. i still feel like his rookie season was a waste, when wade came in he talked about how kareem had poor technique. vance joseph was brought in and seemed to correct this. like others have said he showed a skill to look for the ball in the playoffs, this year he has to put it all together.. i think mccain slides over to share time with kareem and harris/carmichael move to the nickel for now..

15. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

you have to admit those were some ridiculous catches, look at kareem hes stride for stride with evans who turns around and makes a 1 handed back shoulder catch.. i dont think many db's would have made a play there..