1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL.com] Brooks Reed will have a breakout year

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by david_rocket, Jul 1, 2012.

1. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-reed-is-not-the-player-you-think-with-texans

Brooks Reed is better, faster than anyone expected

Defensive end J.J. Watt was the breakout player from Houston's playoff run, and for good reason. But Watt only tied for the NFL lead in postseason sacks with 3.5 in only two games. Fellow Texans rookie Brooks Reed did similar damage.

Reed and Watt were the first rookie duo in 15 years to notch at least five sacks apiece. Reed's pass-rush production fell off with zero sacks in his final five regular season games, but his playoff success shows why Reed is ready to break out.

Not the player you think

Reed came into the league with a reputation as a potentially dynamic pass rusher who would be weak against the run. That proved to be far from the truth. Reed was solid as a pass rusher as a rookie, but he arguably was better against the run. He has the size and strength to set the edge well, lining up as a defensive end or outside linebacker.

"He’s the strongest guy on our team," teammate Connor Barwin said this summer.

We re-watched every snap from Reed against the Ravens in the playoffs. We were impressed by how technically sound, strong and versatile he was. Reed recorded 13.5 tackles and a forced fumble in the two playoff games mostly due to strength and effort. He lined up all over the field, including at inside linebacker occasionally. He can cover when asked. If Reed hit a rookie wall during the season, it crumbled in January.

The Texans drafted Whitney Mercilus in the first round in part to serve as insurance with Barwin in a contract year. It will take time for Mercilus to get regular snaps playing behind Barwin and Reed.

Reed, a second-round pick last year, is a different player than analysts expected coming out of Arizona. He's ready to make a bigger impact than expected starting now.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

...can't wait....

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

No kidding. i must resist watching highlights right now because if I do I'll be up for the next 3 hours and I have to be up in 6...

1 person likes this.
  4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I succumbed. LOL. Started watching the Playoff win.....just started 3rd quarter. :grin:.....so tired after a weekend of floating the river in San Marcos...and work in 10 hours....

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ELVhqlfmRZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#4 Uprising, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm so jacked for the season to start.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it will be interesting to see him with a entire offseason of being able to adjust to the playing the 3-4, i.e. not playing with his hand in the ground.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to be a negative nelly, but Brooks is one of the guys I think takes a dip in productivity next year. I remember reading reports from different people last season that said he will be easily nullified on his pass rush once people figure him out. Then he had that 5 game long dry spell (I know he did well in the playoffs, hopefully that is a sign that he made an adjustment).

But I feel good that they drafted Mercilus just in case Reed turns out to be a one hit wonder.

8. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

last season was pretty epic for him...if this is breakout.....omg. AWESOME!

9. Raven

Raven Member

Can the season just freaking start already!

1 person likes this.