1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Bobby Petrino new HC for Falcons

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Jan 7, 2007.

1. percicles

percicles Member

Does this mean Stoops might get the Dolphins job???

2. Two Sandwiches

Good for him.

This will be interesting to watch. A coach from a smaller-type team going to the pros. I like it.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I read somewhere that Stoops actually likes having a life outside of football and may never go to the NFL as a head coach. He also likes his assistants to have lives.

4. leroy

leroy Member

You may be kidding but there is no better time for Stoops to bail on OU. Peterson is as good as gone. They have no qb. They're losing the recruits they used to steal from Texas. Time to move on Bobby.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Member

Hmmm...I guess that's good for Vick...Funny how all these coaches leave after signing an extension or a year later like Bobby...

6. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

This could be good news for the Texans. Brian Brohm and Michael Bush are probably going to come out, now that the national title chances have taken a major hit. I'd like to have both.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

What would the world be like if coaches were actually obligated to fufill their contracts...

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

If Petrino cannot get Vick to actually pass the ball then he will not be successful. Yes it is fun to watch Vick in the open field and it was cool that a pro QB finally reached the 1000 yard rushing plateau but this isn't college. In the pros a QB needs to have some sort of mobility but also the ability to consistently pass the ball as well and not feel the need to run so much. Some things that work in college just don't work in the pros, see the option play.

I actually think they should convert Vick to a different position, such as WR, like so many other college quarterbacks have been. I don't think he'll ever be a consistent 3000 yard, 20+ TD passer.

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

not to mention that when he arrived back in oklahoma after the fiesta bowl, he was greeted by 150 oklahomans at the airport holding signs saying, "Fire Bob!"

10. percicles

percicles Member

His troubles don't stop there. In a recent article in the Tulsa paper they mention how the spector of the NCAA investigation is hurting their recruiting. Apparently, several coaches are using this as a negtive recruiting tool. One kid even mentions Mack Browns name. Total BS by the way.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

vick ran for a thousand yards, obviously his rushing is successful. teams win games. people put too much of atlanta's success on vick. this is not a vick defense post, its just a tired subject. there is nothing wrong with a qb running for a thousand yards if its possible.

manning threw three picks yesterday and his team won. because he's on a good team.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

but there is something wrong with a QB who, after 6 years, still can't read defenses and makes the same stupid mistakes.

my criticims for vick nearly mirror my criticisms for carr.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

which is silly. vick still threw 20 touchdowns, and still added his rushing yardage.

two entirely different situations. I'm not saying vick had a good year, but to say you can't win vick when you have is silly. mora isn't a good coach. that team has no direction and that's not on vick.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

at least david carr has a coach who knows how to win with him. he just tells him to stop throwing.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

He's not a good coach but they reached the NFC title game just two years ago. You also say that Manning is on a good team. Atlanta has a pretty good team themselves and a way better defense than Indy. You can argue that Indy has better WRs but Atlanta has some decent receivers and a very good pass catching tight end which can work with a good running game (see San Diego). Their offensive lines are almost equal. Yes Vick got sacked at a 3-1 ration compared to Manning but I believe it is because he tries to make too much with his legs and not enough with his arm and as Max said he simply has trouble reading Ds.

In Vick's six years of playing the Falcons have had a winning record twice. That's not really a good ratio. I am not completely blaming Vick but the running game is there with Dunn and Norwood and even Vick himself, the defense and special teams are solid. The only thing really lacking is a vertical passing game and I'm sorry but Vick has to take some, if not most, of the blame there.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the falcons had the 12th ranked offense in football with one marquee offensive player, vick. i'm sorry, their defense is overrated ranked at 22. its a myth, their defense has never been that good. but the point is no matter how you feel an offense should perform, throwing downfield, running, their offense was more effective than 20 others.

#16 pgabriel, Jan 8, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Where did their passing offense rank?

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

who cares, the total offense ranks tenth. where is the rule in the nfl that you have to pass to win. where did the ravens' passing offense rank when they won the superbowl. you said their offense didn't compliment their defense. you were wrong, its the other way around. do rushing yards not count? last time I checked they still do.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

to be fair, atlanta ranked last in passing. but bear in mind, the first two guys in passing yardage this past season are in the playoffs. the next three, palmer, bulger and kitna's didn't. kitna's team is the worst in the league. so yeah, vick wasn't a good passer, but his team still moved the ball, it doesn't matter how you move it.

20. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Why bring up the Ravens? You said the Falcons defense was a myth and everybody knows the Ravens D was responsible for that SB win in historic proportions. The Ravens had the D to back the O up and you've already said the Falcons don't have that. The Falcons finished dead last in passing offense this year. The Ravens finished 25th in their Super Bowl season, at least they were better than 7 other teams.

I never said their offense did not compliment their defense, I said their pass offense doesn't compliment the team. Please stop putting words in my mouth. Yes the rushing yards count but you'll be hard pressed to find a team that has finished last in either and succeeded along the way.