1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Biggest surprises so far?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by countingcrow, Oct 20, 2009.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

The Good

Team: Denver Broncos - How could anyone have anticipated that they'd have a winning record at this point in the season, much less be undefeated?

Player: Brett Favre - A lot of people here on this board and elsewhere doubted his ability to still play at a high level. All he has done is take the reins of this Vikings team and guide them to an undefeated record at a very high level of play. Oh, and most importantly, he isn't throwing interceptions.

The Bad

Team: Tennessee Titans - How could anyone have anticipated that they'd have a losing record at this point in the season, much less be winless?

Player: Tony Romo - He is personally responsible, in my opinion, for at least two of his team's losses this season so far. Miles Austin helped make his numbers look pretty against KC in Week 5, but that had way more to do with Austin dominating his opponent than it had to do with Romo using above average skill in getting him the ball.

Agree/Disagree?

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I've been a Broncos fan for over 25 years and even I am completely shocked by how good this Broncos team is. Last night was the first NFL game I have watched this entire season! After the off-season the Broncos had with all the drama, I really was hoping to avoid last place and win at least 5 games.

McDaniels has proven so far that he knows what he is doing and Kyle Orton has been a great fit for his offense; however, the real secret for the Broncos success has been a ferocious defense which is unusual - it's the best defense I have seen from them since '98.

The Titans? Yea, I am also shocked about that one. Didn't they only lose Haynesworth? Maybe there are some injuries there but I cannot believe that they went from winning over 10 games last season to a team that got hammered 59-0.

As for Favre - I hope that he continues to lead the Vikings to good things and all the way to the Super Bowl and then fail miserably. I despise the Steelers with a passion but you better believe that I will be rooting like crazy for them if they wind up playing the Vikings in the Super Bowl. All these fans in MN who are rooting for Favre like he has been one of their favorite sons for years have damned their souls, IMO. How soon they forget, how soon they forget.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Romo is responsible for at least two of the team's losses? That's all they have.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Conveniently ignores that Romo had us in position to win those lost games at the end. Yes, he was off in the two lost games and he has issues from week-to-week as far as consistency. As far as saying Austin made Romo's numbers look better than Romo was actually playing, you could say that for a lot of teams and their QBs when their receivers create big plays from short passes. I think Romo has been ragged on pretty good this season. And, he really hasn't been as bad as you and Valerie Bertinelli would have everyone believe. The losses were team losses. Romo got us a lead in the NY game and the defense failed to hold...even with Romo's 3 INTs giving NY most of their points in that game. Defense holds and we win. Some of the blame has to go to them. One could also argue that Hurd was a turd in the Denver game and should not have been thrown to when Austin was wide open on the other side of the field. That one does fall on Romo for his selection. Hurd is a fourth string receiver for a reason. I think Hurd should have caught the last ball thrown to him personally in that game. It wasn't knocked away. He just got contact from behind but the ball was in his hands and he muffed it.

I think a more appropriate label for Romo, given the current team record, is average to this point given the team is 3-2. His bad play and his good play have offset each other. So far, he has gotten zero recognition for anything he has done right. People are blind when he does the right thing and all-seeing when he does the wrong thing.

1 person likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Farve was really good last year too until he got hurt.

6. countingcrow

The Bad

Player: Tony Romo - He is personally responsible, in my opinion, for each of his team's two losses this season so far. Miles Austin helped make his numbers look pretty against KC in Week 5, but that had way more to do with Austin dominating his opponent than it had to do with Romo using above average skill in getting him the ball.

Fixed.

7. countingcrow

I'm actually a Romo fan and I love the way he plays the game with no abandon, but you sir sound like a Romo apologist. He has routinely been inaccurate and if it wasn't for his safety valve (Witten), his numbers would look far worse. He has hung his recievers out to dry more than once this season. If he keeps doing that, he will end one of their seasons (see Roy Williams in the Denver game)...as that hit could have been far worse.

8. countingcrow

Favre looked good last year but he was nowhere near as efficient as he has been so far this season. I know being in a familiar offense helps matters, but his high level of play so far has been largely unexpected.

9. Landlord Landry

I'm absolutely shocked that the Texans are a .500 team :eek:

10. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

He did throw six TDs in a game early last year, and he really only declined after the injury.

I'm a huge fan of Brett Favre. I know a lot of people grate on his offseason waffling in and out of retirement, but I just can't knock him for that. The man just loves football. There's no way I can hate on a guy for not being able to abandon what he is most passionate about in life, and I believe he really tried to. It would be one thing if he was washed up and couldn't perform anymore, but he is still a top quarterback in the league at his age. Seeing a 40-year old QB running downfield and throwing blocks for his running back is just beautiful to me. And the man is just CLUTCH. I hope he goes all the way and wins a super bowl this year.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm utterly shocked at how BAD the titans are. I've been (wrongly) predicting their downfall for years, but I didn't see this coming at all. What a pleasant surprise.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How about Matt Forte for the bad, or Tennessee's entire defense? What about TO?

How about for the good Elvis Dumervil or Antwan Odom? What about Brain Dawkins? Mike Sims-Walker? Sidney Rice? Brent Celek?

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I am not a Romo apologist. I am sick and tired of the criticism he gets seemingly no matter what he does. Everything is Romo's fault. The rest of the team is blameless I guess. Yea...Romo gets his receivers injured. Romo hangs his receivers out to dry. Anything else?

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was shocked to learn that Kyle Orton is actually the lead singer of the Foo Fighters.

I'm excited to see the Broncos playing this well. I love the Gryffindor uniforms.

I can't believe how bad the Titans are. I really wish they'd stop sucking while wearing "Houston" all over themselves, as well.

15. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Completely agree on most of it. From the games I've watched, Romo left his receivers out to dry way to often. He can get out of trouble often, but he always throws those high passes that allows defenses to unload on them. He also throws to where they are instead of where they will be, causing the same issues.

Romo has been quite inaccurate this year as a QB. His decision making needs a major overhaul.

16. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Go Vikings!!!

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Brilliant analysis.

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

The Good

Broncos, made me a believer handling the Chargers the way they did.

Saints, I knew they where good but this good?!?!

Bengals, I have a feeling there run is about to start going south as evidence by Sunday but to this point they have been pretty impressive.

The Bad

Redskins, Panthers and Titans..Major let downs especially the Titans and Panthers(although a turnaround is still possible in there season)

Chargers, they should be much better then they are showing but man there O-Line sucks!

Bills, all that hype about TO and they are really bad.

The Ugly

Favre, great start to the season but man ESPN is going to explode if he continues this great run into the playoffs.

Josh McDaniel, all the junk this guy had to take and now look at him really glad for the kid.

Chiefs, Raiders, Tampa and Detroit --- REALLY LONG SEASONS UNDERWAY!

19. droxford

droxford Member

I'm absolutely shocked at how close the Texans have been to being a 5 - 1 team. Really, we're only two or three blown plays away from that record.

I know our record is 3-3, but I don't feel that that record reflects how good we really are.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wow, never heard a Texans fan say that one before.