1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL - Best Defenses

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What do you think are the best Defensive Schemes out there

Thinking about the Pittsburgh 3-4
    The generic 4-3
    Indy's [Dungy's] Tampa [cover] 2

I know no one scheme is good in all situation but just wondering

I still have a special place in my heart for the
    Buddy Ryan 4-6 [OILERS KILLED WITH THAT]
    [and got killed] - It requires some GOOD corners!

or does it not matter at all . . it is all personel?

Rocket River

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It's largely personnel.

If you could have the perfect personnel for all systems, the modified 46/34/43 hybrid that they ran in Baltimore is the best. So confusing, generates a ton of pressure, qbs have a hard time reading the coverages, etc. But, it's very complicated and requires a good player with good iq and basically every position as the defense doesn't set before the play.

After that, it's the 34. With equal personnel, it's the easiest to generate pressure on the QB as it's harder for the O-Line to pickup the extra blitzer. But, it's harder to play correctly because you have to find players for it that aren't easy to find.

3. msn

msn Member

After yesterday's excruciating debacle, I sincerely hope the answer to "NFL - Best Defenses" is "Pittsburgh".

4. conquistador#11

Each scheme requires different personnel, like ends that become LBs. I like the hoody's hybrid of a 3-4 and a 4-3.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't think so. Sincerely,

[​IMG]

:eek:

6. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Half of his yardage and receptions were in the 'crunch time' 4th quarter.

I'm sure his fantasy owners appreciated his stat padding.

7. msn

msn Member

Not a convincing argument at all when half your yards are against 2nd stringers.

Look, after being manhandled and embarrassed like that, don't *you* hope the Steelers do that to everyone else, too?

I hope that is the Texans' only blowout, and I hope the Steelers go 15-1. Or 16-0.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

:rolleyes:

only a complete homer would say something like that after watching that game.

The Steelers are legit, I think they are the best team in the NFL.

Balanced offense, and a crushing defense.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess the next question is:
    Considering what we have . . .. is the 4-3 the best system
    IYO
    [yea yea yea .. coaches know better but they not here
    i wanna hear your opinion]

Do you think Mario could work in a 3-4?

Rocket River

10. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Well, the steelers also use cover-2 now on occasion. (Tomlin was the defensive backs coach under dungy at tampa for the last year dungy was there.)

It was initially assumed that the steelers would be converted to a 4-3 under tomlin as well, since that is what he had at tampa and as defensive coordinator at minnesota. However their recent draft picks dashed that idea. (taking players suited for 3-4.)

IMO, there isn't really a 'best' defensive formation overall, but a best formation for a team's personnel. Unfortunately, with the spread of 3-4 defenses, getting really late players best suited for 3-4 isn't happening anymore. (luckily, their number seems to be going down.)

I don't think Williams would work in a 3-4. He might, but he'd have to be a linebacker, because the linemen in 3-4 are basically there to block for the lbs. (at least, the steelers went that route.)

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

With the Texans personnel, the 4-3 is the best...which it should be because that's how they built the defense. I don't think Mario would work well in 3-4, because he'd be an outside LB and from time to time would have to play pass coverage or come out of the play, and Mario off the field is obviously less of a threat than Mario on the field. He could play end as well, but I believe ends in 3-4 have to focus on stopping the run more than in the 4-3.

Overall, if you have the right personnel, I think 3-4 might be the toughest defense to play against because it's harder to read. Some of the better defenses in recent history have been 3-4 (Ravens and Steelers come to mind). You've got have some pretty special linebackers though. But even those defenses had great personnel on the line and the secondary, so the bottom line is it's really just up to the guys you have more-so than the system.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

if we had better Corners. . . i think the Texans could run the 4-6

Rocket River

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I have this crazy idea that I want to move Okam into the starting DT and move Okoye to DE opposite Mario.

Okam to clog up the middle and Okoye could be a great bull rusher.

Maybe I'm just a UT homer.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I think NFL teams run too many spread/multiple wideout sets these days for the 46 to work as intended, though I could be wrong.

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You're correct, the use of spead offenses with 4 and even 5 receiver sets will destroy a 4-6 which is basically a consistent 8 men in the box and hope the corners can hold down the coverage until the pressure gets to the QB.