1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL Announces the 2004 Schedule

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

2004 NFL Schedule

John Clayton's Highlight Games:

Indianapolis Colts at New England Patriots, Thursday night, Sept. 9
    Their AFC Championship game led to a major rules change about interference and illegal contact penalties. Patriots cornerbacks mugged Colts receivers without any penalties being called. Fittingly, the season will open Sept. 9 on a Thursday night with a matchup that led to these rule reinterpretations. The Patriots were the focal point of the Competition Committee's postseason study. Officials had become too lax in throwing flags for physical cornerbacks. The Patriots love to sit back and make it tough for the receivers to get downfield after five yards. Starting this season, officials have been instructed to throw flags for contact after five yards. Grab the jersey, get a flag. Disrupt the route with a push after five, watch the officials step off the penalty. This might be a flag fest, but it should be a highlight of the first week and the season. It's Tom Brady versus Peyton Manning. It's Bill Belichick versus Tony Dungy. It's a great way to start the season.

Carolina Panthers at Philadelphia Eagles, Sunday, Oct. 17
    Panthers coach John Fox has an offseason of motivation. His team doesn't get any respect. He's the defending NFC Champion, and two things went against him for his rematch of the NFC Championship game. First, the rematch isn't until Oct. 17, and it isn't even a prime-time game. Second, it's on the road for the Panthers, but that's just part of the scheduling formula. There's a good chance the Eagles will be 4-0 and well-rested heading into this one. They open with two home games. Of course the Eagles need to do better than last year's 5-3 home record. Their first two road games are winnable against the Bears and Lions. Before the Panthers game, the Eagles get a bye. The Panthers open with Green Bay, Kansas City, Atlanta and Denver. Their bye week is after Week Two, meaning a 14-week grind until the playoffs. Tough road games at Kansas City and Denver could leave the Panthers 2-2 or 1-3 heading into the rematch. No wonder it's tough to repeat conference championships in this league.

Dallas Cowboys at Washington Redskins, Monday, Sept. 27, and Redskins at Cowboys, Sunday, Dec. 26
    Dan Snyder hired Joe Gibbs to counter Jerry Jones' great hire a year ago of Bill Parcells to patrol the Cowboys' sidelines. Parcells turned a 5-11 bunch of losers into an 11-5 playoff team. Now, Gibbs gets to try to draw first blood at home in one of the NFL's best rivalries. Snyder has been loading the Redskins roster with players since the start of free agency. Snyder forked over $51.7 million in signing bonuses and has a payroll in excess of $100 million. The Cowboys swept the Redskins last year, and the late 27-0 shutout victory over the Redskins at Fed Ex Field might have been the last straw for Steve Spurrier's tenure. By Week Three, Gibbs should have his offensive line blocking package in place, and Mark Brunell should be settled into the starting job at quarterback.

Baltimore Ravens at Philadelphia Eagles, Sunday, Oct. 31
    Too bad this game wasn't in Baltimore, because the Ravens fans would get to greet Terrell Owens, who overturned a Ravens trade and left the Ravens short at receiver. Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis had pushed for Owens' acquisition since the regular season end. Now, it's payback time. What will happen when Owens goes across the middle for passes against the rough Ravens defense? Owens is a physical blocker downfield. Will he try to take a shot? This is a Halloween game, but it could also be Owens Fan Appreciation Day. Owens fought with all of his energy to become an Eagle. He fought the 49ers who traded him. He fought the Ravens who lost the chance to acquire him. Now, it's payback time for the Ravens.

Green Bay Packers at Minnesota Vikings, Sunday, Nov. 14, and Vikings at Packers, Friday, Dec. 24
    Last year, it was all about the start for the Vikings. Coach Mike Tice painted his house Packer colors to motivate himself to get ready for a season-opening game in Green Bay. The Vikings won and got off to a 6-0 start, grabbing a three-game lead in the NFC North. For whatever reasons, this is one of the latest starts to a matchup of two top division rivals. The Vikings have been closing the talent gap between the two teams, but the Packers have a big edge in this game. They have a bye week to rest and prepare. Plus, they have the home game. Both teams have tough opening schedules, so it might be hard for either team to open a big lead like the Vikings did last year. The NFC North schedule is strange this year. The Vikings have only one division game during their first eight. The Packers have only two. This game will set the tone for the division down the stretch.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Oakland Raiders, Sunday night, Sept. 26
    The Raiders' costumed fans get to cheer or jeer their old favorite coach, Jon Gruden of the Bucs. The fact it's at night makes this game even more interesting. Gruden has moved as many former Raiders to Tampa as he could. He brought in general manager Bruce Allen. He signed halfback Charlie Garner, guard Matt Stinchcomb, tight end Rickey Dudley and others. The Raiders came back and grabbed the ultimate Buc, defensive tackle Warren Sapp. In addition, they signed former Buc linebacker Dwayne Rudd. This is a rematch of the Raiders Super Bowl disaster of two years ago. The Raiders will treat this almost like a division game. The league didn't help the Bucs by making them play four of their first six games on the road.

Kansas City Chiefs at Denver Broncos, Sunday night, Sept. 12, and Broncos at Chiefs, Sunday, Dec. 19
    This great shootout opens the AFC West schedule with a Sunday night bang. Dick Vermeil came back instead of retiring because he believes his team is close to a Super Bowl. The Chiefs won 13 last year, and Vermeil has kept most of the team together. Broncos coach Mike Shanahan has had a great offseason. He'll have Champ Bailey available at cornerback to match up better against the Chiefs passing offense. The Chiefs aren't happy that three of their four prime-time games are on the road, so they need to get off to a good start. The teams split their games last year, each winning the home game. There is a lot of age on both teams because Vermeil and Shanahan are each thinking about the Super Bowl. This opener will set the tone.

Atlanta Falcons at Carolina Panthers, Sunday, Oct. 3, and Panthers at Falcons, Saturday, Dec. 18
    The Panthers took control of the NFC South, but they have never matched up well against an offense led by Michael Vick. The Panthers have the league's best defensive line. They drive blocking schemes crazy. But Vick's mobility makes them think. He gets into their heads. That's why it's important for the Panthers that this first game is at home. They need a victory for psychological reasons. Making matters worse for the Panthers is the Falcons' hiring of offensive line coach Alex Gibbs. He has an aggressive blocking scheme, which causes problems for the Panthers front four. The NFC South is wide open. This Oct. 3 game will set the tone.

Miami Dolphins at New England Patriots, Sunday, Oct. 10, and Patriots at Dolphins, Monday night, Dec. 20
    Dave Wannstedt needs a playoff season, but he gets a little break in this series -- finally. In the past couple of years, the Dolphins had the early home game. Now the Patriots get the late road game. They don't have to face the October heat in Miami, but they lose the edge of having a December home game. Wannstedt's biggest assignment is getting off to a good start so that Miami can survive this road game even with a loss. The Dolphins open with three home games in their first four, giving them a decent chance to get off to a 3-1 start. Three of their final five games are at home. The schedule sets up nicely. Wannstedt will have to get an offensive line with four starting changes to start fast and to get A.J. Feeley to take control of the offense in September.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at St. Louis Rams, Monday night, Oct. 14
    This has become a popular rivalry. The Bucs may not have the same defense without Sapp and John Lynch, but they still should have a good defense. The Rams are all about offense, and their skilled players move quicker on the artificial turf during prime-time home games. This game will be all about energy and fun. Mike Martz will crank up his passing offense and hope that the Bucs defensive line won't be as disruptive as in past games. Last year, the Rams had one of their best offensive lines, and everybody is back. The Bucs have brought in more than 18 new players to upgrade their roster.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Great home games for the Texans this year...Chargers, Raiders, Vikings, Packers.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Titans have an easy schedule too. Woo hoo. Bring on the season!

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I was watching NFL Network this morning and they had the Eagles and Cowboys having the easiest schedule of all the teams...

I stoked about x-mas games...

5. drapg

drapg Member

The fact that the NFL Network found a need to televise the announcement of the schedule is immense proof of how much more popular the NFL is than any other sport in this nation.

6. drapg

drapg Member

Christmas day baby!

7. Lil Pun

But who didn't already know that the NFL was more popular?

8. drapg

drapg Member

No, what I meant was that it just goes to show HOW much more popular it was than every other sport.

I mean, its a freakin' schedule for crying out loud!

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Of course, it is the NFL Network...

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I get pretty excited every year when the NBA schedule comes out. Then again, I am pretty strange.

11. Lil Pun

Understood but I can understand why it's such a big deal. I mean the NFL pretty much as the the shortest season and fewest games of any of the Big-4 sports in the US. Add to that their playoffs are not the best of whatever series, it's one and out plus they have the biggest championship game of all. The NFL is the only sport I can watch on TV except for Rocket games but I can watch any NFL game even if it's not my beloved Eagles.

12. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

With the NFL, you don't know who you will play year to year other then the teams in your own division, so who, when and where your team is playing year to year is very unique.

13. drapg

drapg Member

I'd love to see the ratings for the televised schedule show on the NFL Network... and the ratings based on the number of households that carry the NFL Network (basically all DirecTV subscribers)

I thought the fact that I was a Mel Kiper Jr. wannabe was bad enough, but to know there are people that anticipate watching the release of a schedule boggles my mind. And i'm the biggest football fan (NCAA and NFL) in the world!

14. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Is this true? I thought the schedule was a rotation among the different divisions. It was mentioned in the Texan's first game against the Cowgirls that the Cowgirls won't have a chance for redemption till 2006, when the rotation comes back to them for the Texans.

15. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

It is rotated, so you know nearly all the opponents years in advance if you know the rotation.

Only two of the sixteen games are decided based on the previous year's finish.

At least that's how it is since it went to eight divisions.

16. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

That is true, we wont play the cowgirls until then, but there are always a few teams I thought they thew a few in there to make it 16 games.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

This will be a bloodbath of epic proportions. I cannot wait to be back in the black hole this season. We'll have a little something in store for Chucky's return.

18. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I'll see you bums on Thanksgiving! The Cowboys are going down. :D

Also I'm sorry to say that the Texans will lose in Soldier Field, I'd love to go watch that game.