1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next year's rotation post draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by levintblack, Jun 27, 2008.

1. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

PG: Rafer, Bjax, Brooks
    SG: Tmac, Head, Francis
    SF: Battier, Greene, Harris
    PF: Scola, Landry, Hayes
    C: Yao, Mutumbo, Dorsey

That's a 12 man active roster. The rotation is more flex than this shows obviously. TMac will play mainly SG but some SF as well. Dorsey will play some C but also some PF. We put Novak, Woods, and ?? on our 15 man team depending on what happens with free agency. The main reason I did this is because it shows we still have room and playing time for Landry. If we can't get Landry back and don't do a sign and trade I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Horry. He announced he wants to play one more with either Spurs or Rockets and he would give us some leadership and make for a good story book ending that will draw some fans. If we do sign Landry I see us either keeping Leunen (unlikely) or bringing back Gerald Green.

As I see it our minutes break down ...

Rafer - 30
    Bjax - 12
    Brooks - 6

Tmac - 34
    Head - 8
    Francis - 6

Battier - 27
    Greene - 18
    Harris - 3

Scola - 27
    Landry - 16
    Hayes - 7

Yao - 34
    Mutumbo - 3 (won't play much at all unless Yao goes down again)
    Dorsey - 9

If my math is right then those minutes add up to 5 X 48. They are obviously rough estimates. For instance if Francis comes back is is healthy I see us shipping Head off for a 2nd rounder and just giving those minutes to Francis.

2. mms

mms Member

This is meaningless since we still have trade(s) and FA(s) coming.

3. YugoRocketsFan

Its impossible to split minutes because some people can take minutes at other positions.

4. levintblack

Except for you can look at how our team is now and whether we will need to make a move or not. With this rotation the only trade I could foresee is one to get Artest involving Battier. Other than that I don't see us making a move. Our salary cap will be pretty full if/when we sign Landry and there is no need because our rotation is great as is.

5. levintblack

Like I said in my post it's more a way to see where people will fit and give rough estimates on how much they will play. As long as the minutes add up to 240 you can put the minutes as you see best. I stuck to positions pretty religiously but had a few more out of our PF's because they will take some minutes at C and perhaps SF as well.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Head, Harris and Hayes are the three I feel that could be moved from now until training camp. Bobby Jackson could become very valuable come trade deadline.

7. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

I don't see Harris getting any minutes with the four spot being manned by Scola, Landry, Hayes and maybe even Dorsey. But with that said I also expect Hayes to be packaged and traded if Dorsey pans out.

And I don't see Bjax getting more minutes than brooks. You don't nurture talent by gluing it to the bench.

8. tharges

tharges Member

I agree with you i think they keep Jackson for trade bait later. I do believe they package Head, Hayes, Brooks, Landry, and possibly Battier in some fashion to pick up a 3rd scorer. I would say that Artest would have to be at the top on their list. Along with Dallas, S.A., L.A., Denver, & NY. Best deal gets him? How much do we give up though?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Dorsey will play a lot more than Greene, and neither will play that much unless there are injuries.

DD

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Are you out of your mind???????? Give Morey a chance to make his trades before guessing what the Roster will be.
    Yao will be here for sure, not sure about anyone else! :p

11. levintblack

Where exactly do you expect Dorsey to get playing time. He will probably backup Yao. Scola is at the 4 and if we don't sign Landry then Hayes will be the primary backup there. Greene however is a player in the Tmac mold. He can play the 2 or the 3 both of which we don't have much depth at.

12. levintblack

Except our roster is pretty set as is and only a major trade would be likely to happen and major trades don't happen often. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this roster is the one we enter next season with.

13. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Assuming no one gets traded, the best-case realistic scenario for our rotation by the all-star break next year would be (in descending order of minutes):

1. T-Mac
    2. Battier
    3. Alston
    4. Yao (I hope he plays <35 MPG)
    5. Scola
    6. Landry
    7. Greene
    8. Brooks
    9. Dorsey

Anyone below that should not be getting significant time barring injury. If the above happens, that will mean that

A. Greene has beat out Head for the back-up wing spot (not hard to do), and he has also developed enough to warrant getting at least 15 MPG
    B. Brooks has beat out Jackson for the back-up PG spot, and he has regained confidence in his shot and penetrating abilities.
    C. Dorsey has beat out Deke for the back-up C spot and is giving Mormon basketball fans nightmares as we speak.
    D. Everyone has remained healthy.

Of course, a better scenario would be for us to find a starting PG better than Alston, but it is much less likely to occur. Personally I still hope we can find a back-up better than Brooks. Considering Francis for the spot would be venturing into the realm of fantasy.

14. sook

sook Rookie

ROFL i loved C :)

15. warmshizzle

warmshizzle Member

Dorsey can play minutes at the 4 AND the 5, and I'm pretty sure that Dorsey will take what little minutes Hayes gets, or else there would be no point in drafting him except for trading.

Morey said that Novak will stay around for at least another year so you can expect Adelman to give have a 2/3 spot bench of Green, Greene and Novak (If he somehow learns how to play team defense).

16. X Bravo!!

X Bravo!! Member

I agree with U. Head has proved that he can't be suitable for Adelman, Hayes's height is his blind side all the time. Harris is never be an important part of Rockets.

Otherwise, Bobby's salary is a burden of Houston, and now he is not the Kings' Bobby.

It's time to have a trade with them.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all are correct assuming Greene/Dorsey will be getting 18+ mpg...
    in the D-League

18. lustdog

lustdog Member

I'm thinkin that Harris and Hayes aint stayin since 4 is over packed with the addition of Dorsey. Head doesnt have much chance of stayin too. It'll be sad to see head and hayes go.
    But one thing bothers me is that, why the heck we're keepin a spot for Novak?? i thought he should be the first one to go. although I like the kid, he is not contributin in anyway.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I understand your point,DM believes that he can contribute with his shooting.

20. levintblack

Yes I know he can that's why I said so in the original post. But our center and power forward minutes are pretty well accounted for so Dorsey probably will only be bale to get 10-15 minutes (will play more when we play against the Al Jefferson's and Carlos Boozer). Meanwhile Greene fills the void we have had for a few years in a lack of depth at SG and SF. He is able to play both and with his height could create mismatches. That's why I responded to the guys post saying Dorsey will play more. I see Greene getting a solid 15-20 right off the bat and that could grow.