1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Years FA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr. Basketball, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Dr. Basketball

With so many big names out there being FA's. What our the chances of us picking up someone big?

2. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

I want to say Ron Artest but he is increasingly becoming an headcase. stoping ball movement, taking stupid outside jumper with the game on the line, doing stupid things that get the other team fired up. He will be asking for max money too

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

do we even have cap space?

4. Tornadoofsoul6

Nope, only the MLE

5. Dr. Basketball

that sucks..... I thought the trade with Bobby Jackson gave us more money for next year?

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

No, it just got us under the luxury tax - not under the salary cap.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It gave us an expiring contract in which to deal. Possibly in a S&T but usually contracts like Jackson's only payoff near the deadline.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Our chances are pretty good at picking up a good player just before the trading deadline, though, as we've got some $12-$14 mil in expiring contracts (if I recall).

9. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

not really, unless players like elton brand is willing to take a huge paycut to come play at rox.

As long as tmac and yao's contract in the books, do not expect Rox to be actively chasing the top FAs. I do hope that Tmac will take resign with the vet min, his a rich man with his shoes and everything. hehe.

10. luhbron

luhbron Member

Would it be possible to do a sign and trade this offseason for Arenas?

I am a huge fan of the Tmac-Yao build but the only thing better than that killer combo would be an Arenas-McGrady-Yao triple threat!

Also, Tmac and Yao is too much injury risk to continue building on. Arenas would provide some sort of insurance if (God forbid) one of the the big 2 goes out again in future years.

I just think signing Arenas is a good way to hedge our bets on Tmac and Yao.

It would probably cost at least something like Battier/A.Brooks/B.Jackson/1st

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think it may cost more then that. probably have to add landry in there to.

12. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

May have to use the MLE on Laundry if he continues to develop but if he turns "good" then it's well worth it to lock him up cheap, considering.

We are not in the running for any big signiings over the off season but look at it this way.

We are in line to get the top center in the league back next season!

And on top of that, there is a 1st round pick and a year under the belt for Aldenman system. Now thats a pretty good setup.

BTW, is anyone still compaining about the Battier trade? Unless Gay is TMAC's replacement (and he's not), then Battier is just the guy this team needs, regardless of JVC or the new coach's team. It is guys like Battier who makes our defense so good. It's is a team game and him others like him makes team defense what it is today. One of the tops in the league!

Now, if the Rockets had the 6th pick and got B Roy, then it's good too!

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

It actually added a few hundred k more.

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Its in the past, but that's our 3rd scorer right there. Gay is the attack the rim atheletic finisher this team still doesn't have. The could have drafted gay and then picked up udoke as a backup veteran type or james jones. There isn't many times that a 50 win team gets beset by injuries and get a top ten pick. I would have picked gay or brewer eitherof which is getting better while shane has flatlined.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't think we're going to add anyone with the MLE this season since next summer we will have to resign landry. and we're already close to the LT.

all we can hope for is trading endings for a good player. this can happen this summer (doesn't have to be the deadline) if a team knows they are trying to shed salary (knicks, cavs, grizz, kings).

jackson and francis + our first round pick might equal mike miller, ron artest, and i dont want anyone from the knicks or cavs.