1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Next up......The Five Guard Lineup

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moe, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

See what happens when we complain about the 3 guard lineup? Rudy shows us by going to the 4 guard lineup. That's right, Rocket fans. For most of the 4th quarter last night, we had Moochie, Cat, Steve, Oscar and either Cato or Eddie. Wow. I know a lot of our big guys are hurting, but that was amazing.

The 4 guards did cause some problems offensively, but in the overall scheme of things, its a gimmick that can't work on a regular basis. Cat and Oscar were having exceptional nights and Steve had a great night, as well, and we still couldn't beat a team that won for only the 15th time this year. There was one play I had to laugh at. Late in the game, Miller posted up Moochie. He scored on a jumper from about 8 to 10 feet out. Moochie slaps his hands together after the ball goes in as if to say "How could he hit that shot with my hand right in his chest!"

As has been mentioned, Cleveland announcers talked about how it is basically common knowledge that Houston's defense is terrible. Comments like "They (Cleveland) shouldn't settle for jumpers, because they can get anything they want against Houston's defense. Gee, why can't Eddie or Cato guard the whole team?

I didn't see the whole game, but I saw Langhi being active and winding up 3-6 shooting with 4 boards in 19 minutes. Hope he gets a chance.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Moe, its the SOS and i don't have to spell it out for you. Person looked like Miller revisted, Miller looked like Nash and Davis from weeks before. The Cavs shoot 52% and its like they don't care. Instead of designing all these offensive sets, Rudy needs to watch the heat or some other teams to learn howto guard the pnr. He needs to learn how to force players baseline instead of into the middle of the defense breaking down all interior structure. Bottomline, this team just isn't good no matter the injuries.

3. red

red Contributing Member

didnt the other night vs charlotte we see a 5 guard lieup of mocch, cat, steve, tmo and langli?

4. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Red, I don't think TMO at 6'9" and Langhi at 6'11" could be called guards in that lineup.

Moochie, Steve, Cat, Oscar and Tierre Brown. Thas what I'm talkin bout.

5. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

One big missing key to wining is Maurice Taylor, don't forget that.

6. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Yep, if we just had Mo "Tenascious D" Taylor shutting down the other team and getting his share of jumpers, we'd really be kicking arse.

7. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

5-guard lineup?

Hmmm...

C - Oscar Torres
    PF - Cuttino Mobley
    SF - Steve Francis
    SG - Moochie Norris
    PG - Tierre Brown

If worse gets worse...

8. Sane

Sane Member

What you guys should note is that Rudy goes with 3 guards against 2 guards and a forward usually. This time, Cleveland was with 3, so we went 4, if I remember correctly.