1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/lists/texans-share-thoughts-colts-matt-eberflus/

“From what I’ve heard and played against him, Matt’s been very, very disciplined. That’s the type that you want,” said Watson. “From the players and the scheme that I’ve been playing against, Indianapolis, they’re about what they do and they do it perfectly. They understand different concepts and what they want to do as an Indianapolis Colts defense. That’s why they’ve been successful.”

“From what I’ve heard about him, he’s a great guy to play for. Of course, he’s a defensive minded coach and I think it’ll help Tim (Kelly), but we’ll see. It’s so much of the unknown and so much of this is the first time I’ve been through it, so it’s kind of hard to have vision without any experience and any guy that’s with it.”

UTSA2step and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They apparently shared a moment after the last Colts game.

if anything, Watson should be thrilled that he doesn’t have to face his defense that sacked him more than any other team the last few years.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I wanted EB but as long as Watson is happy and stays don’t really care who we hire now. Just keep the franchise at all cost.

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

HC eberflus
    OC Kelly?
    DC ??

conquistador#11 likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Weaver was working with 4 (maybe) starting caliber players on the defense. That dwindled down to 2 by the end of the season. But posted above that believe it's for DL coach, not DC.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Did some research and a fun fact about eberflus.

When he coached in Cleveland he worked with

Tracy Smith and Carl Smith

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wade would be a smart choice who has proven ability to quickly turn a defense around but couldn't be for more than a season. Dave Borgonzi, current Colts LB coach, makes some sense. Leonard has been an absolute beast under him.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does it matter at that point? Eberflus designs the defense. Basically what Belichick has always done.

Rudyc281 and TexasRedd like this.
  10. Mashing

Mashing Member

I thought Caserio in his introductory press conference said he wouldn't be part of football personnel decisions (i.e. players on the field, trades and coaches)? But otherwise, would still be part of the organization.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Eberflus has been my number one guy. He and Dodds have some a great job together.

His teams have historically done well with mid round talent, finding and developing it.

Red.Glare, Nick, RunninRaven and 3 others like this.
  12. raining threes

A big difference between being dumb, things like letting BOB run the team or Watson for that matter and being held hostage.

13. raining threes

Agreed, tell me how you rebuild the defense in the next two years without draft picks or cap space. After those two years Watson's extension kicks in and twenty-six years of proof says there will be no championships. Better to sell high, rebuild the team and find the next franchise QB.

14. raining threes

When Watson says basically give me my HC or trade me, then you can call it what you want to call it. I call it being held hostage.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If anything about today’s game shows you is that elite quarterbacks not only play longer... but they’re expected to play at a high level deep into their careers.

Defenses do turn around fairly quickly... sometimes dramatically with better schemes/better design. They can start by simply not being one of the worst defenses of all time.

mario_v, conquistador#11 and Sooty like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

When did he say that?

Red.Glare, Chilly_Pete and Sooty like this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Also, for the record, all you people overjoyed to enter a rebuild... where was this mindset/suggestion before Watson signed the extension? Or were you always anti Watson signing an extension.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I don't understand how in the world you keep Tim Kelly on as OC in any scenario??? The offense needs an injection of modern scheme in the worst way, not just a regurgitation of the Obrien method.

19. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I didn’t mind his extension. I thought the annual value was a little high, but his individual play this year says he’s worth it.
    At the beginning of the season, if you told me that he would have those types of numbers. I’d say we were a double digit win team.
    I thought the progression of the Oline would be good, a little infusion of young talent on the defense would be good and some of the second and third year guys would make a jump.
    As you know, that didn’t happen.
    The entire team fell on its face. Maybe coaching fixes it, that’s just hope imo. And I’m tired of hoping for this team.

raining threes likes this.