1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'd support the hiring of Roman if we had traded our All-Pro WR for a running back that is still elite. :)

cmoak1982 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah man, OB has done a number on this team. I don’t really see the light at the end of the tunnel. It’ll be completely closed if Watson continues on this average path he’s on right now.

3. steddinotayto

I also get the trepidation on hiring an OC that's been under Andy Reid because those guys haven't really lit up the league as head coaches. That being said, how many of them really went into a head coaching situation where they had a decent QB to start with?

Brad Childress, HC for the Vikings from 2006-2010. The one year he had a decent QB was in 2009 when he had Old Man Favre and that resulted in a 12-4 season. Outside of Favre he had Tavaris Jackson as his primary QB during his time in Minnesota. Ouch.

Matt Nagy, HC for Bears since 2008. Trubisky.

Pat Shurmur, HC Browns 2011-2012: Colt McCoy then an oldass rookie Brandon Weeden
    HC Giants 2018-2019: Old ass Eli and Daniel Jones

Even if you included Wentz and BDN under Pederson, Watson would still be the best QB a former Reid-OC would have ever inherited on his way into a head coaching job.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

and they absolutely suck playing from behind. You have to have a good to great defense too which we don't

Two Sandwiches and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. SuraGotMadHops

I'm only halfway kidding, but would it be possible to bring in Jeff Luhnow in some kind of front office role? We've seen analytic guys like Paul DePodesta move from baseball to football, and the Browns (finally), seem to be turning a corner.

6. steddinotayto

I think the Browns situation is a little bit different--they finally got themselves what looks to be a competent head coach and that has helped tons with the offensive weapons they have. Basically they were underachieving because of their head coach which is something we are all too familiar with.

coachbadlee and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Could this franchise entice Ozzie Newsome to be GM? Is that even a good idea?

CometsWin and Fulgore like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. steddinotayto

I like Dabo. Think he's done a great great job at Clemson, however, we just went through a "full control" regime and I don't want to see it happening again.

joshuaao, conquistador#11 and MadMax like this.
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's incredible to me that anyone even wants to have "full control." HC and GM are two distinct, full-time jobs. It is impossible to do well at both simultaneously.

Jturbofuel, gatsby, Pringles and 4 others like this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Watsons woes left with O'Brien.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Butt chin was dumb enough to think he could actually do everything himself. I think Dabo would be smart enough to have "full control" but really just have "final say" on the football roster.

Somewhere on tv, they were talking about butt chin and it was at the end of the week where they saw butt chin in a meeting with an agent. They thought to themselves, "shouldnt you be game planning for the opponent right now?" but he couldnt cause GM butt chin spent an hour with some free agents agent.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so. It would be best for the team.
    Unfortunately, it might not only be OB.
    Processing and accuracy seem to be regressing.
    And if we have to have a gimmicky scheme for him to succeed, he isn’t worth 40 mil a year.
    The benefit of doubt left when he signed that, he will be compared to his “peers”, right now he’s no where close to Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers or even Jackson and Allen at this point.
    Way too much money for that.
    Like I said, I hope he gets to that Mahomes/Wilson/Rodgers level. But shouldn’t be hoping for progression when you’re the 2nd highest player ever.

14. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Excellent idea. Guy is a genius at building a team but he’s close to 70 so may not be interested

Verbal Christ, joshuaao and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. steddinotayto

Speaking for me, anyway, I never thought when Billy Boy was hired he would have seized so much control and power by the time he got fired. Like influencing or having a final say on who to pick is one thing but to just basically run the whole team that's another. Dabo definitely don't strike me as that guy who needs control but people have surprised me.

16. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Well at 64 he won't be the oldest, close though

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup that’s why it’s crucial to nail down the GM and let it be his pick. Their fate will be attached to each other instead of all the backstabbing this franchise allows by not wanting to hurt feelings.

18. Marteen

Marteen Member

Has to be a guy who's good at X's and O's. A guy who is just a "motivator" will eventually lose the locker room when they start losing.

I'd want Deshaun there during coaching interviews to pick their brains and what they bring to the table offensively.

Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't think full control means Obrien full control. I think it means he would want to have full control over who he brings in. Basically, he'd want to pick the GM and his entire staff.

I'm fine with that. While he's not my first choice, I'd be fine with Dabo. Let's swing for the fences. We offer probably the most security of any team that would hire someone straight from college. Our coaches have averaged five years on the job.

gatsby, Rudyc281 and steddinotayto like this.
  20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I agree. I worry about this with Dabo, but he'd presumably bring Tony Elliott and staff with him, and those guys are pretty good at X's and O's.

Marteen and Rudyc281 like this.