1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

A competent GM and competent coaching and Watson will win a SB with the Texans.

here’s hoping ownership doesn’t **** it up.

Pringles and conquistador#11 like this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the hope, I don’t think it’s likely though. Too many spots to fill and not enough to fill it.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes but in today’s NFL a great quarterback can give you great runs on an otherwise average team and you have a chance imo.

I’m not saying next year or the year after. But he’s 25 years old. There’s time.

would love for it to happen next year of course.

Pringles and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Say no to overrated Harbaugh & Shaw
    Reject any Patriots (or ex-Patriots) not named Belichick.

TexasRedd, Pringles, gucci888 and 5 others like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who is willing to give up 2022's first for Belichek?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Texanstradamus

not me

Fiah and Fulgore like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If you gave Deshaun Watson Andy Reid and those offensive weapons.... I would feel supremely confident he'd be seen as the best QB in the NFL.

The IT factor is dumb and Mahomes' *team* is more successful. Here, I'll prove it: I'll offer the Texans' coaching staff and offensive playmakers for the Chiefs' coaching staff and playmakers - deal?

eric.81 and conquistador#11 like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again, that’s conjecture, no possible way to know that. But you’re entitled to your opinion, but it’s not truth.
    Reid is a great coach. He does have two solid to elite weapons in Hill and Kelce.
    Watson has had good to elite receivers as well, so that’s not an excuse.

This forum first compares Watson to Wilson, now Watson to Mahomes?
    Watson has ability, could be elite as long as he stays on the same track since OB has been gone.
    Only 2 picks since his firing is encouraging. Opening up the offense is encouraging. His performance is encouraging.

Comparing him to two of the best quarterbacks in the league is dumb. Let him do a bit more before that. Win a couple playoff games, throw 30+ tds and -10 interceptions several seasons.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont think the true comparison should be Watson to Mahomes, but OBrien to Reid.

I feel strongly when I say that Mahomes could not have come in here and been more successful than Watson in the OBrien "scheme" .. he isnt slippery enough in the pocket for the trash offensive lines that have been here. Mahomes may hold the record for sacks in a single season if he was our QB, and we still would be languishing with OBrien. How can you convince me that Mahomes would have been better with OBrien when the philosophy was the biggest flaw?

On the other hand I feel pretty good saying that Watson would be a SB winning QB with the Chiefs right now. No reason he couldnt do the same things for KC that Mahomes does, yet I cant see Mahomes doing what Watson does for the Texans because the franchises are night and day to one another in how they approach personnel and coaching.

Its just the homer in me I couldnt help it!

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is why we can’t have a real conversation.
    First Mahomes makes more plays outside of playcall than Watson does. He moves extremely well and escapes traffic just as often as Watson. Can you even name one starter on chiefs Oline?
    Also, what makes Mahomes special is his ability to change throwing platforms and make strong, accurate throws. The reason he has to do this is because of traffic/pass rush.
    Watson can’t do the things Mahomes does in terms of arm ability. Watson might be a little more slippery but Mahomes is a great athlete in his own right.
    Yes Reid is better than OB. But Mahomes is in another stratosphere than Watson.....right now.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Probowler Eric Fisher and All pro Mitchell Schwartz are pretty well known around the league. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif has been solid too.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Schwartz has been the only consistently good lineman they’ve had for a while.
    Fisher was a bust and has rehabilitated into a decent player.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Fisher was not a bust; people just hate on him because he was picked #1 overall.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He is a solid starter, nothing special at all. His ratings and rankings support that.
    He’s also top 10 in all time number 1 overall pick busts according to a couple of pundits. I disagree there.
    But Fisher is not considered good and damn sure not elite.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL cmon man its Monday what else is there to do than create hypothetical fantasy situations and then argue about them!

I dont disagree with his athletic ability within the confines of supremely better scripted play calling - he's not a statue even though he does look more awkward on the move than Deshaun. The guy enjoys an assortment of talent and creative play design it was a match made in heaven. Reid gets the most out of his talent pool and then added a guy with the best arm talent in the draft. All he had to do was draw up open guys and make it easy for him - which is what he did, and when Mahomes "got it" in year 2? Boom. While Watson had to endure a rigid, tyrannical approach to coaching.

Its why Watson was a high school and college champion and Mahomes became a professional champion. Natural athletic ability only takes you so far in football you MUST have good coaching and peripheral talent. Reid excelled with guys like McNabb, Foles, Kolb. He saved Alex Smith .He resurrected Mike Vicks career. He is the true QB whisperer, while OBrien had 10 different guys who couldnt get it done, and was gifted a blue chipper and almost ruined him in the process. Is it any wonder why NOW all of a sudden Watson is "finally" 'getting it?

Lets say in true Houston fashion Chicago drafts Mahomes, then Reid has to 'settle' for Watson and we get stuck with Trubisky (I highly doubt Rick Smith moves up for Trubisky but for grins and giggles). Do you doubt that KC still has a SB win with Watson instead of Mahomes? There are enough plays in the KC offense that the sideways pass and no looks that Mahomes brings along with a stronger arm could be missed with the elusiveness and play extension of Watson and weapons like Hill, Kelce, Watkins and Hardman. Mahomes said he couldnt read an NFL defense until his 2nd year! While that may be tongue in cheek its still interesting to note. In that same vein I just hold so much disdain for the Obrien EP whatever the hell the 4 vertical/yankee crossers thing he tried was called that I dont even think Mahomes could have made it work. OBrien was having brainfarts of playing Hopkins as a slot possession guy. Watson isnt missing so many TD throws that make you say "welp Mahomes would have made that one" - Deshaun has made the most with the least.

Is Mahomes a better QB than Watson right now? Yes. Out of this stratosphere no contemporaries? Not to me. He's blessed to be in the right situation for him and is teeming with confidence I mean for all the highlights during the Tyreek Hill Show vs the Bucs Sunday and Brady looking like sht for a 2nd week in a row it was still a close game at the end right? Football is awesome. Ultimate team sport.

Crossing fingers Deshaun can click with a coach who understands how to script guys open and is malleable enough to adapt with the defensive trends.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There were several draft experts who said Mahomes would be the best QB in that draft. Most people in this forum were clamoring for Mahomes.
    Also, as you said, he has had all of those quarterbacks who were supremely talented and made the system work for them. Yet he was always seen as a bridesmaid and never the bride, the best of the coaches that couldn’t win the big one. Only one of those QBs won a Super Bowl under Reid.
    To say Watson would be Mahomes and not McNabb, Vick, Smith is just a fallacy imo. He could be, but to just automatically assume it is kinda out there for me.

Watson is talented, but his athletic talent is a dime a dozen in the NFL these days. The majority of QBs, specifically younger QBs have the athletic ability he does. What sets him apart are the intangibles, imo.

20. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

But the point is that people can name guys on the Chiefs OL. That was what you asked. Your point may have been to say that Mahomes faces pressure, or escapes pressure, as much as Watson does. Football outsiders has them listed at similar pressure rates 32 to 34% in 2019, but Watson was sacked much more, so your point is probably true.