1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like some here would prefer Lamar Jackson because he puts up video game numbers.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

[​IMG]

BigShasta, cmoak1982 and Nimo like this.
  3. Remix

Remix Member

Lmao its hilarious how much this picture matches up his story. Imagine if we didn't have Deshaun right now and B'OB still had an excuse of not having a QB.

BigShasta likes this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

What would our record have to be, to consider Crennel for HC?

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

If we didn’t have Deshaun BoB would have been fired years ago.

3Rings and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nope. Y'all would have been praising him for going 8-8 with AJ McCarron and Nick Boyle.

7. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The crazy carousel of excuses for Brock would have been repeated for Savage.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

TheRealist137 and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont think either of those thought processes are mutually exclusive IMO. He's had peripheral players that have been handicapped by a poor scheme and game plan implementation in OBrien and the arrogance that ANY player could perform for them that led to egregious extensions or player cuts that culled the talent pool and restricted future moves in rewarding marginal players. OBrien could have been fired for the offensive line regression alone and how he committed years of draft stock to that unit and it still hasnt performed up to expectations. The Tunsil deal could have been avoided and I say that Watson is still the QB he is today while having all your draft bullets and cap room.

You have to admit though there has been a ton of goalpost moving from a good amount of Texan fans in regard to Deshaun Watson - not you in particular, but generally speaking. From not having faced quality defenses, to ball placement, to bad throws, holding onto the ball too long. His warts get amplified to the point where it seems as the narrative is painting a bad player. Nobody takes the time to incorporate all the disarray that has gone on around him, and just uses his salary figure as some barometer. The team did enjoy several years of "cheap" QB play and couldn't do anything with it. Thats the NFL. QBs are the attractions and the most important positions on the team, and like Russ Tucker said on his podcast "Deshaun is earning every penny".

I could say over the last 5 weeks that Watson is the best QB in football, but it would then only turn into the win/loss argument as the goal posts sway for Deshaun Watson. Football is the epitome of any team sport. As good as any QB is; there still needs to be competent play from the other facets of team football to win. New England only had to focus on the passing game and still couldnt contain Watson - thats impressive. Without the convoluted and tyrannical grip of OBrien you can see glimpses of what could be in a more modern passing philosophy with Deshaun and its exciting. I just find it bittersweet that a good amount of fans still have an uneasy appreciation for him, and what gets brought up? "New England was missing key defensive players" - and the revolving door continues.

So are you one of those guys who will only be satisfied with a Super Bowl win, and that will be what justifies the contract?

3Rings and J.R. like this.
  10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Well, it was more of a "general" exercise. The Texans would be dumb to make that trade *right now* at 3-7, of course. But I don't know if the Packers would say no *right now*? They would get significantly younger without losing much, results-wise.

Nimo likes this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Ive said multiple times I’ve liked what I’ve seen the last few weeks. Including one stinker.
    My issue is his fans that make every excuse for his bad plays. You see it as people over stating his flaws, I see it as people over excusing the mistakes.
    The truth is he hasn’t been put in a consistent position to succeed, he has had some decent teams and underperformed, he also has shown some regression prior to the last half of this season.
    If he keeps that up, he is in that elite category and worth the money. I still think it’s bad timing with where the rest of the team is but he’s a cornerstone to build around.

And no, I don’t like moral victories. I do try to look at the positives from a bad situation-but.....also real about my team as much as possible.

And when you are elite-where his track is heading-you are judged by your ability to do more with less, and ultimately win rings.
    Same thing with Harden.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Last 5 weeks have been great. Now do first 5 with it.
    Cherry picking stats is great to prove a narrative but not the totality. No one would pick Watson over a Wilson right now.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

First, like i've been saying; COACHING MATTERS. The numbers have been better after the coaching change. Second, my argument isn't that Watson is better than Russel Wilson; my point is that that gap is closer than you're making it seem.

3Rings, Hey Now! and conquistador#11 like this.
  14. Hey Now!

"Lesser" team? The Bengals are 2-7-1 and the Texans are 3-7.

Also: LOL! There's not a single measurable in which Burrow outperformed Watson this year. In fact, Watson was significantly better in several key stats: he threw 7 more TDs despite 66 fewer pass attempts; he completed a higher % of passes and averaged nearly 2 more yards an attempt. Burrow's QBR and rating: 58.6 & 89.8. Watson: 72.9 & 108.6.

Pure trolling to argue Burrow was in *any* way better than Watson.

You know who else put up historic rookie numbers? Deshaun Watson. Let's see Herbert do it for more than 9 games.

3Rings and Nimo like this.
  15. Hey Now!

I don't know why this has fascinated you so much - but you should really look at next year's salaries: there are going to be 10-15 QBs taking up ~15+% of the team's salary cap.

The best QB in football for *years* took below market pay to help his team and skewed this considerably. But the checks are coming quickly for this next wave of great QBs.

3Rings and Nimo like this.
  16. Hey Now!

And maybe you should stop comparing Watson's situation to Mahomes'. If the Chiefs had drafted Watson, they'd be enjoying a similar level of success - if not the same - and Mahomes would be handcuffed and struggling to overcome the Texans' organizational incompetence.

The Chiefs were 33-15 in the three seasons before Mahomes. He joined a very good team with Hunt, Hill & Kelce all already in place.

3Rings likes this.
  17. showa13

showa13 Member

Over the whole season he ranks 5th

1. Mahomes
    2. Rogers
    3. Russ
    4. Kyler
    5. Deshaun

We all see his flaws, but some like to only see his flaws and claim he's not a top 10 QB even though every metric available has him as top10 AT WORST. cmoak you are more along the fence about him than some of the very loud Deshaun detractors, and it's ok to acknowledge his flaws, but it's the one's who only come to this sub-board to trash Deshaun(or say they're 'hopeful' he 'proves them wrong') that grind the gears of us who, along with pretty much everyone around football, that can see that Deshaun is a top 10 QB who is ascending w/o the parasite that is BoB.

3Rings and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

what if I told you that Deshaun and Wilson have the same QBR over the course of the year? Wilson has twice the amount of interceptions and a lower passer rating. Do you think what he's done in the past is influencing how you value him this year? Saying Russel Wilson is flat out a better QB than Watson may not be supported by statistical or anecdotal evidence THIS YEAR - apart from the W/L columns of which so many more things can impact a win - starting with a guy like Pete Carrol at the top.

Where is the love for Big Ben??? He's the only undefeated QB left standing.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No it is not. Wilson, Mahomes and Rodgers are in a different class than Watson is. If he keeps up the pace he’s on for more than a season then he can be included in that echelon. That also would take some more wins as well.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, you don’t know that. There is no possible way to know that.
    Second, Mahomes arm talent is significantly better. They both have the IT factor but Mahomes translates to more success.