1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Watson is a really good QB. He’s being paid like the second best in the league-he’s not that.
    Two trains of thought I’ve seen is he hasn’t had help and that’s why he struggles at times and then have seen that he is progressed so much in departments that needed growth (accuracy, play reads, throwing receivers open, smart runs)
    Those two sentiments don’t match up.
    The second suggests that he has had some talent (Bellichick says it himself) and he’s progressing (I agree)
    His numbers are solid, I love what he’s doing right now play wise. But he’s still not elite and still not translating to wins-his contract says different.
    It sucks because they are a team in limbo, need talent infusement without having the ability to do it. And about to lose some of our good players because we can’t afford them.

raining threes likes this.
  2. raining threes

He's been clutch. But not on the level of the top guys.

Maybe I've still got the stench of the Chief loss on me because he certainly wasn't clutch that game.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. raining threes

Why cant they afford those good players and is Watson good enough to makeup for the loss of those good players say like Rodgers or Brady is because hat's what he's getting the 160 million to do.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ll say it again. I love Watson, I think his best assets are his intangibles and that says a lot because he is a prototype QB. The last few games, even in the losses I’ve seen what I like to see in terms of riding the edge of push vs control.
    I just don’t think the Texans will be able to build the talent pool around him.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They can’t afford him because of his contract and others. Which has the trickle down effect of not being able to resign our players or sign free agents.
    Fuller and Reid are most likely gone. BMac will most likely gone. JJ most likely gone.
    Thats a lot to fill with a large chunk in two players, other large holes and no draft capital this year.

6. raining threes

I beg to differ about trading QB's.

Are you saying Burrow on a lesser team wasn't better than Watson this yr? He was better and his OL really stunk.

If you're a stat guy Herbert is putting up historic rookie numbers and look at his OL. Tevi is his LT. LMAO Fact is Herbert has been better than Watson has been this yr as a rookie and has four more years on his rookie deal. Meanwhile Watson who hasn't been as good as Herbert is about to get 160 million that will prevent putting the team around him he needs to succeed. If you cant see what I'm saying then you need to take off your Watson rose colored glasses. This team is so screwed.

7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Who's fault is it? The Texans have made a ton of mistakes.

8. raining threes

^^^^
    This

No paying Watson 20% of the cap.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What fault?
    The overall team? That’s O’Brien and ownership all the way.
    Making same mistakes? That’s on Watson.
    But he seems to have fixed.

He’s being treated like a young rookie QB with kid gloves but being compensated like the ultra elite.
    If Mahomes was losing and/or playing inconsistently, he would be getting hammered.

10. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

How many Super Bowls have the Texans won?

11. raining threes

Exactly it will take 3 or 4 years to recover and be competitive, unless they get a genius personnel guy and the Texans do away with the Not Texans Worthy crap.

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Mahomes plays on stacked team with great management, a HOF head coach, a OC who should be a HC, a HOF TE, and a WR that could be a HOFer. Yeah, their situations are EXACTLY ALIKE!

LMAO, Just STOP.

red5rocket and Hey Now! like this.
  13. showa13

showa13 Member

How many QB's about to get an extension have been traded in the last 20 years?

14. raining threes

How many are they going to win with their QB taking up 20% of the cap?

This isn't a knock on Watson, any QB put in this situation wouldn't win a SB. Watson took every dime he could get. (I dont blame him) Just dont expect any championships because of it.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And?
    You asked fault. Deshaun has some and isn’t free from it. In fact as the QB and the second highest paid player in the league, he probably should share more of that burden than he does.
    Maybe you should stop making excuses.

16. raining threes

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If you knew you could get the number 1 overall pick, a 2nd and another 1st for Watson and not have any cap penalty (not realistic)
    Would you do it?

18. raining threes

I dont know, but history says this should be the case more often than not.

19. raining threes

In a heartbeat.

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

When have they EVER built a champion?