1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Trevor Lawrence is literally a better athlete than Deshaun. To say he couldn’t make something out of nothing is just weird.
    He’s the prototype for today’s QB.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Comparing any college QB to a current top tier NFL QB is just weird.

Burrow is also a prototype. So is Murray. So is Tua. So is Herbert.... newsflash, they're not all going to succeed.

3. raining threes

The same outside firm that recommended hiring BOB. That should be comforting.

4. raining threes

Oklahoma- Murray, Mayfield

Give me Lawrence on his rookie deal vs Watson and his 160 million dollar deal.

5. raining threes

The 1984 class of QB's would disagree

BTW, comparing Watson to Luck at this stage of his career is laughable. Luck had already taken the Colts to an AFCCG by yr 4 of his career.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Tua is not a prototype.
    The other 3 are doing pretty damn good.
    Herbert is having a better rookie season than Deshaun.

7. raining threes

A ready made QB that's going to be taking up more than 20% of the cap space which will make it hard to put the talent around Watson for the new HC to be successful.

TheFreak likes this.
  8. raining threes

Not only a better rookie season compared to Watson. But a better season overall compared to Watson and he's on his rookie deal for another 4 yrs.

9. raining threes

If it was me I would be looking to trade any QB after 4 years if I didn't think I could win a championship since lately the only QB's that have won championships have been on their rookie deals. A QB that eats up cap space has never won a championship.

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's.... not how this works. Lawrence may or may not be a better QB. He is *not* a better pro QB.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Watson gets that money because he's proven he can succeed at this level.

I don't consider Murray and Mayfield to have the same MVP ceilings. In a do-over, I don't think Cleveland would choose Mayfield over Murray, Watson, Herbert, etc.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Except for Tom Brady... and Mahomes not on his rookie deal now, you're trading him?

This thread has certainly been derailed.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

you are on crack. Watson 6 1/2 games had him on pace for 40 TDs passes. Watson didn’t get benched like Tua did this last game. The Dolphins, as a team, are playing better. However, That is mainly because how their defense and FitzMagic was playing. Tua has 6 TD, 0 Ints, 602 yards in 5 games. Watson had 1699 yard, 19 TDs, 8 INTs, 269 rushing yards/2 TDs in 6 1/2 games.

Tua is not in Watson's league.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve heard that Deshaun hasn’t progressed and is just getting by on natural ability. Which means you can equate success to what he did in college. There’s an apples to apples comparison then, Trevor in same system performed better. Bigger, stronger and overall better athlete.
    I love Deshaun, I think he is becoming elite. I don’t think the Texans will be able to build around him, limited assets, draft capital.
    I could be wrong, I’d gladly accept that.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He’s talking about Herbert.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Huh? Regardless of bringing up an era from almost 40 years ago... and even then, they did not all succeed. But yes, if you believe that every 40 years you get 8-10 QB's that can all win an MVP any given year, have at it.

Hardly laughable... Watson is putting up similar numbers on vastly inferior teams. Luck was great but Watson on track to have the better overall career.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's reading defenses, identifying coverages, and easily picking the right target/open receiver with regularity this year... in a year where he's got no dominant receiver to throw to.

Not sure who's telling you he's not progressing.

And if there's one thing the NFL has shown everybody is that QB's don't get by on natural talent alone. Until Lawrence can get up here and put the work in/prove it, there's still a ton of unknowns.

18. raining threes

What exactly has he proven and even if he could succeed against good defenses he takes up too much cap space to put a championship quality team around him. Give me Herbert on his rookie deal over Watson. Or a shot at Lawrence for that matter.

19. raining threes

If you're a numbers guy I could see why you think this way.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You've apparently traded Mahomes... because he makes too much money.

Herbert looks great... and yet he wasn't the sure-fire #1 pick in the draft. That's how these things work. You don't know what you have till they're there... and even then, the system, the team, and the coaching you receive are all integral.

I'll still take Watson over Herbert.