1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next season's dark horses.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by howo13579, Mar 26, 2013.

1. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I believe Houston will be 4 seed next year's playoff even without any big move in the summer. Our starters and benches have come a long way since the start of the season. Beverely has proved that he can be a quality backup and he's defense is just overwhelming.
    Next season I think there will be a few teams just like this year's Houston. Teams like New Orlean, Washington, and Sacramento (maybe) will shock people. New Orlean is deep. Washington has all the talent. I remember they lost all the games earlier but when they won, they beat those best teams. John Wall has been doing great getting the best out of the supporting cast. Sacramento just needs a new management if they don't move and a new coach. If they can get a good PG to run the team, Sacramento will be scary.
    Anyway, if D-Mo improves his D or we acquire another big man, Rockets can be one of the top teams IMO.

2. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

This belongs in the Dish.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not unless we bring in Dwight, Josh Smith, Millsap, etc. The current group of DMo, Parsons, Asik, etc. has some talent, but isn't athletic enough to be a dark horse.

1 person likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Passing who? The Spurs? The Grizzlies?

I think we will be significantly better, but I can't figure who we could pass up.

5. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I believe we'll pass Grizzlies and Clippers.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

how can you realistically look at next season without having a playoff to objectively measure this team...

7. bongman

bongman Member

Not so sure that we will no 4 seed mainly because there are 3 or 4 teams behind us in standings that have grossly underachieved. Lakers, Blazers, Mavs and Jazz. No reason to think that they won't improve next year also.

We will also be better and I truly hope that your prediction holds true but it will be tougher as we will be marked team next season.

8. sean joh

sean joh Member

I could see Wizards coming especially NYK will face age and injury issues the next year.
    Kings seems figuring out their rotation after the trade! Yes, they needs a good management in order to prevent wasting their picks and drafting the duplicated position.
    New Orleans would be depending on what are they going to do with Eric and development of their rookies. Davis and Rivers missing lots games due to injury is not a good sign therefore I don't see them as dark horse IMo

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Oh Carl. You so witty.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

The j*zz could be a dark horse next year if they cut ties with Millsap and Jefferson and 2 of the following players (Hayward, Favors, Kanter) takes the next step up in their games.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not sure I agree with us jumping up to the 4 spot unless we make a move for a stud, but it's possible I suppose...

As for possible dark-horses or surprise teams, I'd probably go with....

-Washington
    -Philadelphia
    -Portland
    -Minnesota

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

It depends on the draft, really. I could see either the Wiz or Cavs moving up. If the Bucks make a big move (I think they will) I could see them being about a 5th seed. I think the East Standings will look like this:

Miami
    Chicago
    New York
    Indiana (who will have the better record than NY, but will get screwed by the rules)
    Milwaukee
    Brooklyn
    Boston (or Atlanta)
    Wiz (or Cavs)

Philly will blow it up, and be near the bottom.

I think Portland might make the playoffs next year, at the expense of us or golden state.

13. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Division winners are only guaranteed a top 4 seed, by the way.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

I thought they were guranteed a top 3? My bad.

15. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

"Teams 1 to 4 in each conference are the three division winners and the team with the next best regular-season record, with the seeding of these four teams determined by regular-season record"

16. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

17. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

Um... The CHARLOTTE HORNETS :grin:

18. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Milwaukee has been darkhorses since the Glenn Robinson days... I think they're due a bump in seeding to about 6th..... and then become road kill in the 1st round