1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Rockets head coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ferrari77, Apr 9, 2023.

?

Who do y'all want TIlman to go after?

1. Nick Nurse

61 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Sam Cassell

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. Kenny Atkinson

18 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Frank Vogel

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Terry Stotts

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  6. Other

32 vote(s)
    25.4%
  1. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

His workplace cheating scandal is a red flag regarding his character. There should be options just as good without the baggage.

Jontro, roslolian and OremLK like this.
  2. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. Spooner

Spooner Member

J.R. likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nick Nurse is my top option. But tbh I dunno why Toronto will let him go they are pretty dumb if they do that. He is also a good development coach Siakam and FVV were nobodies who developed into all stars under him.

Vogel is my 2nd choice dude is a great "fundamentals" coach he just got power played by Lebron and WB.

Ime Udoka seems promising but at the end of the day we dont need more drama and distractions.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bro they're 19/20? What the hell do they know about being a good HC? Jabari should be locked in the gym working on his 3s rather than attending HC interviews and asking them what their coaching philosophies are lol

AroundTheWorld and Dobbizzle like this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Nah. They haven't proven to be franchise players and they shouldn't be treated as such. They need to worry about working on their game and helping this team get to the next level if they want to become decision makers for this franchise.

AroundTheWorld and YOLO like this.
  9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it doesn't matter what they know about being a good HC or how young they are. just being included builds buy in. its standard business leadership. however I understand why stone doesn't want to lose control of the organization the way they did when harden was here. sometimes boundaries are good too.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

There might be options as good him but what he did last year with the Celtics is not easy to do. Maybe he could keep Lucas around who knows a few things about messing up your career.

groovemachine likes this.
  11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

The guy who took over for him has done well too, that team is legit. I’m a big proponent of character and culture, I’d shy away from both Udoka and Brandon Miller this offseason if lateral options are available.

Plowman likes this.
  12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I understand that and it might bring some scandal. I just think that will probably be outweighed by his Spurs pedigree and how much his old players love him. Tatum and Brown recently raved about Udoka in an interview and said he deserves as much credit as anybody for their success this year. I'm not sure there are many options out there that have the potential to connect with young players like Udoka did in Boston.

13. Ancient Moabite

I get where you coming from, but on the flip side it has been reported from Green camp that he wanted more structure and a floor general allegedly, so while that might not be attending the actual HC interviews at least the young bull is aware enough to see what is going on and put it out there

Plus Green acknowledged his past season weakness and said he needs to become more efficient, which better structure/coaching/PG general can upgrade that, though he still has to put the ball pill thru the basket at end of the day

And I 100% agree that all the past first round picks should be in the gym working on all aspects from free throw to handles to 3's and adding moves to their bag

Once they come up on achieving their second max type deal then they can have a say so if need be for bringing in a coach or player

roslolian likes this.
  14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I find the perception from some people on here to be interesting. Atkinson had one decent year barely getting over .500 and taking that Nets team to the playoffs after 2 20 win seasons the year prior. He also declined the very next year going 28-34. Udoka took a .500 team to the finals almost knocking out the Warriors but people still had reservations and doubts saying he “only had one good year”. Nick Nurse called out his players publicly similar to Silas calling out Sengun but Nurse is perceived to be a coach who teaches “discipline” and a “hardass” wheres Silas “threw players under the bus”. Instead of people seeing that Silas was challenging Sengun to be better, they chose to perceive it to be negative. Tale of two standards and perception bias.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Surprised no one is aching for Beckie HAmmond

Rocket River

16. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

The baggage that Udoka comes with did not diminish his popularity in the locker room one iota. He's still respected around the league(except to GMs and Owners with hot wives)

roslolian, Stephen_A and Rocket River like this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I have mentioned Becky Hammon several times.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are teams that would have him, and others that won't.

Someone will come to grips with their fear and desire. Unfortunately, I think it's naive, to think he'll shape up completely so fast. I'm sure not betting the near future of this franchse on it.

He's the Bee's knees as a coach, but 'm not sure he can keep it in his pants...ala change his idiosyncratic routine overnight.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Surprised no one is talking about Mark Jackson who is a proven winning head coach in this league.

Rocket River likes this.
  20. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Agreed. Add Cassell to the mix.

Rocket River likes this.