1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They are wording it weirdly, I guess you are thinking that it accesses the cloud every once in a while and updates its database, which then gets applied to the games you are playing.

Makes more sense, I guess.

RC Cola likes this.
  2. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

That, or it may not even have a database per se. There might be a fuzzy line at this point as perhaps it has some data involved (I'm sure the algorithm has a bunch of "data" in it), so this could be semantics. But rather than store some sort of DB for every possible game, I'm assuming they're using ML to come up with an algorithm that works for everything (no DB required). Why store data for 4000+ games when you can just tell the algorithm how to apply HDR to a blue sky, gray rocks, etc.? I'm still pretty ignorant about how ML works (I think my team is working on integrating it for our stuff, but I'm not the lead for it), but I'm assuming they're just taking the raw image produced by the BC hardware/software, then they apply this ML algorithm to apply HDR (or whatever) to the final image. If it sees what looks like a sky, it will apply the correct HDR settings. If it sees a dark ocean, it will do the same. And so on and so on. It won't be quite as good as native HDR, but it will be pretty good most of the time and definitely worth it.

They'll likely update the ML algorithm from time to time, especially when it computes the wrong results for certain images. In those cases, you'll need to download a new version of the algorithm. But yeah, as long as you're somewhat up-to-date, that algorithm is stored and executed locally, so no need to connect to the cloud for it (only need the cloud for updates). That's my understanding of how it will all work, but maybe I'm wrong.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

DF doesn't do any technical measurements for this review and also gets several aspects wrong, for example the color accuracy on QLED vs OLED (every measurement shows qled has much better color volume and reproduction), this review is basically a subjective spreadlist with only 3 or 4 pros and cons with zero measurements taken for validation, while they also don't show any of the real issues of each technology (OLED and qled).

If you or @Ziggy even took the few minutes of time to read the rtings reviews he himself posted, ya would know about those things.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think you are right, they are mentioning that the AI looks for patterns in games and learns what images should look like, which would mean it applies this to every game by processing the images and mapping accordingly.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never said that it was wrong for people to have inferior TVs
    I just said that we have the superior ones

they can play in 480i for all I care

6. tinman

Supporting Member

When my brother @Ziggy
    Rolls up in a Porsche 911
    I wonder if I should get one too

not thinking to myself that a Hyundai Elantra
    Also has four wheels

when every gaming and home theater authority says that OLED is best
    I’ll get one and I would feel guilty if they were wrong
    They weren’t wrong
    It’s the best

Ziggy likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

this dude is UR average consumer

he games with OLED
    cause he doesn’t want to be UR below average consumer

8. tinman

Supporting Member

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I mentioned this before, because so many here are mislead by bad sources and think that you only need Series X if you have a 4k TV:

https://twistedvoxel.com/yakuza-like-a-dragon-xbox-series-s-x/

This game for example will run at 4k/30 or 1440/60 on Series X, but only 1440/30 or 900/60 on Series S.

You'll see similar things for a lot of games and also look at graphical downgrades regarding ray tracing etc often, it isn't about you owning a 4k TV or not and you should really think about your decision.

RC Cola and Blatz like this.
  10. RC Cola

Plus, if the game renders at 1440/4K, I think it will look a bit cleaner on a 1080p display than if it rendered natively at 1080p (sorta like applying SSAA). So it isn't like you don't see any visual benefits (and I'm ignoring these framerate modes some games are offering).

In regards to that Yakuza game, I think there's yet another mode for XSX where it renders at 1080p with a locked 60 FPS mode. "Normal" mode @ 1440p has a few drops (pretty rare, mostly special attacks), so you go with 1080p if you want no drops at all. I think this says more about the Dragon engine powering the game than XSX/XSS hardware (apparently high-end PC GPUs also struggle), but I do think we'll see a lot of cases where games aren't at 4K for XSX (and PS5) or 1440p for XSS. Honestly, if it helps performance elsewhere, I'd rather devs focus on 1440p (or thereabouts), and just use cheap upscaling methods vs trying to push native 4K.

In some news related to earlier discussions, MS has a few more details about the BC:
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/10...-xbox-series-s-backward-compatibility-update/
    The big thing is that their team has developed a way to get to 60 FPS in select titles. This is not to be confused with games that ran uncapped framerates (ala Monster Hunter world) that get pushed to 60 FPS on XSX. Apparently they are doing this for games that ran at a capped 30 FPS, like Fallout 4. I'd be a bit curious to see how they do that as this is a system solution, not a patch by the devs. I wonder if they can just have the system ignore/translate any 30 FPS lock commands. Not super familiar with how these things are implemented normally anyway, but I wonder how this could be handled on a larger scale if only certain games can have it enabled. Since we discussed ML stuff recently, I think there were talks of using that to "smooth" framerates (kinda fake 60 FPS), but I didn't get the impression that's what they're doing here.

Yung-T likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

What kind of tv do you have for gaming ?

12. RC Cola

A 65" Samsung RU8000. Nothing crazy, but there was a deal for it, and I'm generally pretty happy with it.

tinman likes this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Nice! I saw the 75 RU9000 on sale for $999 this week at best buy
    (update it's gone)

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I think it isn't that complex for most games, there are a ton of quick fan patches that only change a few lines in the code in order to uncap games to 60fps (see it a lot for console ports on Steam).

The issue is when games have the 30fps tied to their physics/animation and AI, like you have with Bloodborne.

In that case it's far more complex, but someone recently managed to patch the game to run properly run at 60fps and wants to release it. Took the guy around a year for that though.

RC Cola likes this.
  15. RC Cola

Yeah I think I got in on a similar deal last year (or whenever it was I got the TV).

Yeah I don't think it's too difficult to do that (you can possibly just change a value in a config file), but in this case, they can't really do any of that (unless I missed something). I'm assuming they'd just have the already compiled binary, and the Xbox will somehow need to handle this without necessarily changing the original code. I guess run time config files could still be modified (assuming the game was setup that way), and maybe that's what's being done here? But even then, it seems tricky as the system would need to know which games can be handled this way and which ones can't. I guess they'll just use this list they build and go off of that.

Haha seems pretty messy to me (though great for gamers), but that's partly why I never got into game development. It takes a lot of work to do this kind of stuff well. :)

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, MS seems really committed to making this a heaven for people that have large backlogs or want to revisit past games (maybe due to the drought oft exclusives).

The article also mentions that Xbox and 360 games can run at 4k now, I didn't know about that and am much more likely to buy a XSX now. Many of my favourite titles from that gen were on 360, especially some jrpg gems like Last Odyssey, Blue Dragon and Eternal Sonata, also a chill game like Viva Pinata (wonder why there hasn't been a new one, the franchise had a lot of potential), and I still have the discs.
    Edit: And I forgot about Fight Night, such a blast.

Also, the article seems to confirm that the Auto HDR only runs through the hardware and not via cloud.

RC Cola likes this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

RC Cola likes this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

DLSS allows you to have the best of both worlds.

19. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

death stranding worth 30 bucks? PSN sale

20. tinman

Supporting Member

maybe there will be a deal for a C10 on Black Friday