1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They've been awfully quiet about their backwards compatibility features, I don't think they'll have something similar.
    Microsoft really pushed backwards technology this time.

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Its software though isn’t it? They could always push an update at a later time?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My tv has a wide color gamut and allows for 10 bit color. My combination of perfect black levels and brightness is elite

Same for @Ziggy
    OLED is king

you best believe our TVs destroy all the insignia and rca sets most Clutchfans have

Ziggy likes this.
  4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Microsoft hasn't said how exactly this is done, just that the console is doing it without touching GPU or CPU resources.

Guess we gotta wait for further details, would be awesome if Sony did something similar to all the stuff MS is doing, as my PS4 library and backlog is quite big and I'd also love to revisit some games.

5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Breh even 400 dollar TVs have wcg and 10bit now, it's nothing elite.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

lol OLED > all
    But I get it . Some people don’t want the best.
    @Ziggy

that $500 ps5 with that $99 24 inch insignia is the bees knees for some

Ziggy likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

@Ziggy
    I get it. Some people’s main gaming tv is our guest room tv or the one you put in the laundry room

They like grey blacks
    And crazy blooming around bright objects

they like ghosting

Ziggy likes this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

MS is using their cloud services to do atleast some of of the BC.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You are just parroting what a salesman or OLED cult forum are saying, you and ziggy not even once went into any technical detail here and mix up some of the terms.

Have you even seen a high-end QLED at someone's home or what are ya basing your decision on? A Q9FN like mine has 480 dimming zones and even calibrators and experts say you can't tell the difference between the blacks most of the time, there's virtually zero blooming or signs of grey blacks in 99% of the content.

I've stayed for weeks with ppl who had a top of the line, calibrated OLED and I know the advantages and disadvantages from first hand, but I wouldn't want one.

I guess we can talk about OLED issues like vertical banding, black crush, peak and sustained brightness, color gamut, volume, color grading, low framerate playback, degradation over time, burn-in, issues when facing UV radiation etc, but don't think you know anything about it or can actually compare from real life viewing experience.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Pfft, I got no OLED issues except that I'm watching too much and playing too much on a superior display

those edge lit LED people crying all the time

@Ziggy

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Well it isn't edge lit, it's FALD and like I mentioned has 480 zones.

But you just wanna troll and know nothing about the tech, so Imma let you enjoy your OLED.

Blatz likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Ziggy likes this.
  13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Do you mean for some of the machine learning stuff (mostly/only for auto HDR I think?)? I don't think they would be using the cloud services while actually playing a game, but I could see them using the cloud to help compute some values for things like auto HDR (though probably not a requirement).

Do you remember where you read this? I'd like to look more into it if it is actually leveraging cloud services quite a bit. I assumed it was mostly hardware emulation with a bit of (local) software running on top for some of these misc enhancements.

As for Sony and the PS5, I wouldn't expect Auto HDR or potentially any other special enhancements that MS either implements for launch or later on. Unless these are things that are provided nearly for "free", like boosts in resolution and/or framerate, I don't think Sony will bother. They *could* do it, but they don't seem that interested, especially with Jim "Why Would You Want to Play Old Games?" Ryan in charge.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They haven't really shown anything yet, but have said that they are experimenting on AI upscaling games while utilizing the cloud in real time.

The Auto HDR supposedly works similar and MS has said it is done in real time, utilizing cloud and the database, calculating and mapping games on the fly.

RC Cola likes this.
  15. RC Cola

Do you have any links where I can read/hear more about this? I'm having problems finding this on my own. :(

All I see are talks of them using AI/machine learning to develop algorithms to upscale and add HDR, but I don't see anything about them using online services for real-time computations. That seems like a poor implementation IMO, especially for BC, so I'm curious to know what I might be missing that makes this a good solution (obviously the Xbox team knows better than me :p).

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's only little known about it, but what I could find:
    https://wccftech.com/an-xbox-game-s...-res-textures-to-be-ai-upscaled-in-real-time/

https://venturebeat.com/2020/10/06/...arning-auto-hdr-renders-stunning-results/amp/

RC Cola likes this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

what do you think Project xCloud is? MS is using Cloud Services to handle much, if not all, of the game performance in various applications. xCloud is different, but the same type of premise of using Cloud infrastructure for gaming applications.

https://www.techradar.com/news/proj...know-about-microsofts-cloud-streaming-service

18. tinman

Supporting Member

@Ziggy @RC Cola

Take a guess at best tv for HDR Gaming

Digital Foundry = legit

19. RC Cola

Ah, OK well that sounds like what I thought it was. Maybe I was just misunderstanding what you all were saying. One of the links mentioned DLSS, which is basically how I thought this auto HDR and potential upscaling stuff would work. But they're not having the XSX connect to XBL every second to help generate the HDR or upscale the image, which is what I thought you might have been implying. You can play all your BC titles offline and still get all the same enhancements (maybe you'll need a OS update from time to time though).

Back to the original point, I definitely don't see Sony bothering with this for BC, though I feel I can almost guarantee they'll do something for PS5 games (at least the image/asset upscaling). I'm really curious to see how MS and Sony handle this in the next few years.

Project xCloud is their game streaming service. I'm not aware of anything special going on beyond that with their cloud services, and that link seemed to support my understanding unless I missed something.

Even if I did miss that, I can't see them really pushing a lot of things into the cloud when it comes to game performance. They tried to push that misconception in the current-generation, but it doesn't really work that way. You can get some great stuff like what we see in Flight Simulator, but that's more to do with processing all of the satellite/terrain data and not so much graphics/performance stuff. I'm excited to see more stuff like that, but to be clear, I don't believe this will significantly help increase resolutions, image quality, framerate, etc.

Machine learning, on the other hand, can definitely help out a lot. :)

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Hey look, there's my LG C9. No surprise to 99.99% of the population though. 99'ers know.

tinman likes this.