1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Aware

Aware Member

ff16 and the demon souls remake sold me on the ps5.. kinda

both seem to be "console exclusive" so i'll probably just stick with pc for a while

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Meant to say series X. Whoops. I hope the X is lowered to 450.

A full blown (just without CD) PS5 being 100 cheaper then the X is problematic.

#342 ThatBoyNick, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I think the budget X-Box is gonna sell very well. 200 dollars, particularly in this economy, is a lot of money, and despite what the internet will have you believe, most gamers aren't too hung up on the tech details.

I'm a playstation lifer, and not really struggling so the physical PS5 was always gonna be my choice.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm not sure how I'd want a weakened console off the bat, but I guess it's different for people on a budget.

I think the game changer at the end of this generation will be how cloud streaming stabilizes. MS has been rolling that out with Game Pass Ultimate, which could put a lower demand on the switch if done perfectly (doubtful, but threat is still there).

Moore's law has been fairly accurate (more or less) with cloud computing, so imagine playing a medium res computer rig at 4K w/ just a receiver like Chromecast and a TV/Monitor/Tablet/old phone.

I'm still playing stadia and there are always ~5 mins when everything is muddy AF and playing grinds to a halt, which is unacceptable to most multiplayer gamers. Computing can't fix lag, though who knows what magic will happen in 4 years...

5. opticon

opticon Member

That's huge. Microsoft should not have positioned the S as lowered powered. They may actually lose customers to Sony who want to go all digital and save money but still want full next-gen performance.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They basically gave what gamers want to see, REAL GAMES IN ACTION that look next gen.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No it is not. That is what the Series S is for. That is going to sell like Hotcakes. Most people don't have 4K TVs. The Series S is giving next-gen performance at 1440p or 1080p. That will be fine for most people.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

MS knows what it is doing. $299 is the MAGICAL price point for Consoles. Always has been.

tinman likes this.
  9. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

never pre ordered a console before, whats the best way to try to get in on that quick enough? they usually sell out fast no? just open most the retailers webpages for ps5 and hope to see it pop up?

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

True, this was a much better approach than the crap we've seen recently (barely any gameplay, cinematic trailers, annoying hosts and pointless interviews without real content).

tinman likes this.
  11. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm guessing Sony felt the $399 price was important, given that they used that for the PS4 and PS4 Pro (each being a success), so that was probably always the target (at least for one SKU). Don't know if the Series S price really surprised them that much, though not sure they would have changed their strategies too much either way. Sony's probably relying heavily on exclusives to push sales.

I think they might be caught off-guard with some of the other Xbox initiatives though (Game Pass, xCloud, All Access, etc.). I guess there's time before launch, but IMO Sony needs to step up in these areas to match what Xbox is offering...especially since they already half-ass offer similar things anyway. Hopefully they can both push each other to do better. Seems like Xbox is building up some great 1st party studios/games to match Sony's output, and at least with today's show, we know Sony is making PS+ a bit more like Game Pass (still not quite as good though IMO).

I'm a bit critical to both, but I'm fairly happy with how each platform is handling things thus far. At least this doesn't appear to be a PS3/Xbox One (with Kinect)/WiiU experience for either platform. :)

I'm not happy with the $70 MSRP for games though. :(

edit: Hmm...now that I think about it, maybe them releasing PS4 versions of these PS5 games (MM, Horizon 2, Sack Boy, etc.) could be a reaction to the Xbox Series S. Anyone with a PS4 that might consider getting a Series S might just stick with the PS4, especially if plenty of these games are available. So maybe you are right.

tinman likes this.
  12. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

i'm not surprised about the game prices jumping...its what 60 for new games now anyhow. if you can wait it out like i do you end up getting good deals anyways. i'm just now getting around to god of war, picked it up for 20.

13. RC Cola

I'm not surprised by it (especially once 2K kicked this all off...with a F2P game essentially). I just don't like it. :p

And to be fair, development is expensive and yada yada. I personally think they should reduce development costs. Some of these games have 1000s of people working on them, which seems crazy. Maybe if we had tiers of pricing, but you know pretty much 95% of games will be $70.

Never mind the super special collectors editions, the micro-transactions, and the fact that more and more games (maybe most?) are being purchased digitally these days.

14. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

RTX 3080 for me. I'll pick up a PS5 later...maybe in a year or two.

The Demon's Souls remake is also coming to PC. (EDIT: That was a mistake in the trailer. Demon's Souls is NOT coming to PC.)

Final Fantasy XVI already looks more interesting to me than XV and XIII. However, I suspect that FF XVI is still 2 or 3 years away from release.

#354 Cold Hard, Sep 16, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  15. RC Cola

FYI, I'm thinking the Demon's Souls trailer had some errors with those release details. They took down the trailer already, as people were pointing out the weird wording at the end. I'm guessing it might still be PC (later at some point), and they're just fixing the part about it potentially coming to other consoles. But I guess it is possible that it might not be PC.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I need to see how this runs with real next gen games

17. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

amazon pull down their PS5 page i take it?

whats the game plan here RC? i've never pre ordered a console before. do i need to have all the PS5 pages brought up with the major retailers and hope by a miracle i'm up/nearby when they go on sale?

18. RC Cola

Um probably. The PS4 was the only console I pre-ordered in recent generations, and I think I just jumped on an Amazon listing at some point.

I can try to share what I find when I see it. It seems like pre-orders will start tomorrow for people who don't know.

19. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

right but does that mean midnight tonight? 2 am? 6 am? my guess is i'll be SOL, stuck at work tomorrow when they go on sale and be stuck missing out on launch day action

20. RC Cola

Haha, you think they'd give us a rough time? Nope.

My only advice is to follow social media (https://twitter.com/Wario64 as an example) or forums to get a heads-up when a particular retailers puts their orders online. Then click furiously on add to cart + submit. Then cross fingers.

We've had some mixed messaged recently, but Sony is supposedly planning on a huge amount of PS5s being shipped through the end of the year and into early 2021. This includes air freight. It might be pretty difficult to get a pre-order or a system at launch (or...maybe not?), but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one shortly after. Hopefully.

Same goes for XSX/XSS too. Game consoles in previous generations had pitiful shipments at launch, but they're a bit better about trying to get millions of systems ready to go ASAP.