1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Honestly the graphics don't look too special. Current gen games like RDR, last of us 2, and Sekiro look better than that.

That being said, it's an RPG. It doesn't need to have mind-blowing graphics. I just replayed New Vegas last week and it was awesome.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This will be the game of the year for sure.
    I'm about the CDPR. Witcher 3 is the best role playing game. I'm on my second go cause there are many different endings.
    @RC Cola
    and I absolutely hate RPGs. All of them. This one was insane, the detail, the world building.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Witcher 3 was a special game, for me personally the fallout is the GOAT, fallout 3 and new vegas were insanely good. A shame fallout 4 was disappointing (but still was relatively good) and then they bombed the series with 76.

The witcher's graphics were crazy good for such a vast RPG in 2015. The extensive cut scenes we're also crazy for that type of game.

tinman likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to the ability to play very different characters on Cyberpunk. So theoretically you can play the game 3 times and your journey will be completely different based on the type of character you choose.

RedRedemption likes this.
  5. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

They'll probably have some, if not all, of those ray tracing features, though I don't think the fidelity will match the high end GPUs. I'm not even sure what this demo was running on or what resolution/framerate. XSX/PS5 will probably have reflections in the puddles, but they might be a lower resolution (or something like that). Or they'll look just as good, but it will only run at sub-4k/30 FPS, while a high end GPU can get 4K/60 FPS pretty easily. Keep in mind that Nvidia GPUs have DLSS to help out with a lot of this, which PS5/XSX won't have.

It should look pretty great though, especially compared to the PS4/XBO versions.

Sekiro? Did you mean Ghost of Tsushima? Sekiro looks OK, but I don't think of From's games as being top-tier graphically. GoT is mindbogglingly pretty though.

For the CyberPunk video, there's a lot of impressive tech in it it that might not be come across as impressive. Faked lighting looks just as good, if not better, than raytraced lighting, but the latter is much more impressive (though I think CyberPunk uses RT more for reflections than direct lighting).

FWIW, Cyberpunk has to run on all sorts of systems, so while I think it will look pretty good, I don't think it is a good indication of next-gen graphics. It is just taking a current-gen game and slapping on some fancy next-gen effects that were easy to do. I still find it funny that most people are touting Wu Kong as the best showcase of next-gen graphics (which, in fairness, it probably is), but the developers almost sound embarrassed by how bad it looks ("not our best work" or something like that). Honestly, I kinda miss the days of console tech demos to help me get excited. :(

Do you really hate all RPGs, or just JRPGs like Final Fantasy? If you like The Witcher 3 and CyberPunk, there are probably some other RPGs you could check out. Lots of games have RPG mechanics these days anyway. And some RPGs have way more action in them (Souls-type games I guess?).

I was pretty stoked about the upcoming Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines game (think Cyberpunk meets...um...well vampires), but sounds like they're going through some disturbing development issues that pretty much kills my interest in the game. :(

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah whoops meant Tsushima.

7. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I never got around to playing Sekiro, so I thought I somehow missed From Software becoming gods at graphics haha.

I'm glad Sucker Punch is getting some praise for the game. Honestly, Infamous Second Son looked pretty good as well, especially for an early PS4 game.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Nvidia ray tracing everything!
    I'm guessing this is what PS5/XX 's version would look like

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning > next gen games

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hard disagree. This game obliterates RDR2. RDR2 uses basic global illumination which means in areas where the main light source such as the sun does not hit an area, everything is flat because light doesn't properly reflect off of surfaces that do recieve the sun's rays on to surfaces that don't. This results in areas where there isn't a main light source reaching said area looking flat with surfaces lacking a material look to them.

Cyperpunk uses ray tracing to full effect and is a much more ambitious game that is going to require far more powerful hardware to run effectively.

I'm thinking that maybe the scenic setting of RDR2 is giving the false impression of more impressive graphics. Cyperpunk definitely is a more impressive game technically. Same with Ghost of Tsushima. The scenery might overcome se of the bad details you see in the game that you wouldn't in Cyperpunk. Cyperpunk is in a pretty dreary depressing setting.

Also you are comparing games you've played natively to a game where the only content you've seen is heavily compressed youtube videos.

12. fchowd0311

"Fake lighting" only works in games that don't have a dynamic light source with a day and night cycle. Hence why a game like the Last of Us 2 looks damn amazing because the artists can "paint" in the light reflection and refraction on surfaces that don't receive light from the main point source. But if TLoU2 had a dynamic day and night cycle, this wouldn't be possible and the game wouldn't look nearly as good.

Rat tracing allows you to dynamically show reflection and refraction of light onto surfaces so you get TLoU2 quality lighting in a dynamic setting.

RC Cola likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

NVIDA drops the Ampere bomb prior to the next gen console launch.

Personally waiting for gen 4 AMD processors and then going to build a monster PC.

AMD 4900x / NVIDIA 3090 on an LG 48' OLED

This thing is going to be nuts.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

That 3090 is going to be needed for FS 2020 VR.

15. Beezy

Beezy Member

$1500 video card has already made next gen obsolete. Preorders cancelled.

16. fchowd0311

The 500 dollar card which is the 3070 is more powerful than the 2080ti which would be quite a bit powerful than either of the next gen consoles. I believe the next gen consoles are estimated to deliver around the performance of a RTX 2080.

Doesn't mean the consoles aren't a good deal. Consoles have the benefit of economy of scales as they mass produce the exact same specification and configuration of hardware. Also Microsoft and Sony don't care as much about profit margins per console because they make more of their profits from entering the Money or Microsoft ecosystem with services and game. With PC hardware, each component requires a larger profit motive than an individual console which adds up and when hardware companies sell their components they aren't selling services or games and therefore rely on all their profits from hardware sales.

So yes consoles are good economical options if you can't afford a beast of a rig. But let's be clear, a beast of a rig is still going to be significantly better with things like ray tracing and VR.

#256 fchowd0311, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
  17. Beezy

Beezy Member

Yeah, I was just joking. This happens every new generation - PC hardware being announced that smokes the new consoles, at a price.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

My wallet is real thin. Upgrading my PC + buying a PS5 in the same 1-2 month span.

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

And the first of my predictions comes true. :p
    https://thewitcher.com/en/news/32792/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-is-coming-to-the-next-generation

RC Cola likes this.
  20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

We need some more of that stimulus money, yo. C'mon, Trumpman.