1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newt Gingrich: Test every Muslim in U.S. to see if they believe in Sharia

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 15, 2016.

?

Would you be for the Test or against the Test?

1. For

14.6%
  2. Against

85.4%
  1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The muslim ban would be good enough for now. Let's see how things pan out of after the ban.

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just like there have been many Christians who refused to deny Christ even under threat of execution, I expect there will be many devout Muslims who would not disavow Sharia despite deportation. The guys planning to blow something up probably will, because their sins will be forgiven as martyrs anyway. But, god-fearing, law-abiding Muslims might sooner choose deportation than to submit to religious persecution.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

There is a question you are being asked when you enter the US, are you a communist party member, guess how many communist party members from China have entered the US?

4. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I thought of this. Sunni Muslims (ISIS is a Sunni group) aren't supposed to deny their faith -- though I'm not sure denying support of sharia would qualify as denying your faith -- Shiites believe in taqiya though, which allows them to lie to avoid persecution or death.

But you're right, some likely would simply to make a point and stand up for their beliefs like some Christians would do if, let's say, captured by ISIS and threatened by the sword to deny Jesus Christ.

Just another reason I wouldn't support this as a policy position. I just don't think it would be very successful.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, clearly you couldn't trust them. It would have to be polygraph, or... something more sophisticated...

[​IMG]

"You see a non-believer lying on his back, wriggling his legs and arms in the sun. What do you do?"

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

SMH this kind of r****ded nonsense is why I'm not a Republican.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

for those against his plan you better propose yours unless of course you think the world should do nothing.

My plan,

1. Force Isreal to create a state for Palestine. Aid Palestine in creating government and country. Their little desert squabble is impacting the entire world. Must be forced to sign, **** them both.

2. No more p***y footing attempts at stopping ISIS. Full blown NATO (and allies) ground assault and take control of every city and work with peaceful to install local governments. Work with Syria too and deal with them later.

3. Support Woman groups and rights activists in the Middle East. It will take a generation but these Woman need power and time. They will change the culture and calm these men down.

4. Energy independence, which forces these backward ass countries work with us or we cut them off.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I agree that Sharia is incompatible with Western Civilization but this is just plain silly.

If this were allowed, what is the next group that we target to deport?

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I'd be for a Takfiri test for all incoming persons from nations where a majority of the population express support for murdering an individual for the sole reason of having left a religion.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No, it's not easy. But it can be done. Big data analysis and personal profiling isn't new idea and we are already doing it today to track terrorists tendencies.

If you want to massively expand that to cover people that believe in sharia law, I'm quite sure they can do that. And I'm quite sure it will be wrong often early on, but can be tuned to improve.

Of course, there is the question of do you want to do that.

1- you would have to cast a pretty wide web... on almost everything happening in America. Hence, it's will impact all American.
    2- do you think that someone already in the US simply believing in sharia law should be deported?
    3- do you want to trust authority to make that type of decision (how to determine who believe in sharia law).

The answers are pretty clear to me. Of course no. The idea is as anti-American ideal as it gets. But, hey, when it comes to certain people of certain beliefs, some of us can quickly give up the American ideal.

When leaders of political party propose such ideas --- not only isn't it going to work, it helps to further alienate the peaceful folks and increases the chance of some of them buying into dark ideas. ISIS love these things.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not Muslim, but my intuition is entirely too much is being made of taqiya in conservative circles, with the object being to sow distrust of Muslims. It seems to be akin to some Saudis saying to one another, "you know, in Christian doctrine, they say all their sins are forgiven through Jesus, so they think they can lie, cheat, steal, murder, whatever they want, and they'll still be forgiven. You can't trust them." Doctrinally, that factoid is true but incomplete, and what you see in practice is the exact opposite -- theological pressure to minimize your sins. I have a hard time believing that taqiya features very prominently in how Muslims choose to conduct themselves.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't think they have anything against it. But I have no idea.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Another thing to consider is many moderate Muslims are fine with Sharia because they have a nice fantasy of Sharia not demanding to kill apostates. There are many different perceptions of Sharia in the Muslim world and just because a Muslim 'supports' Sharia doesn't mean the believe in the draconian laws in Sharia such as death for apostasy because like many religious folks they have the 'wishful thinking' part down in spades.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes, I was born and raised Muslim and first time I ever really heard of the term 'Taqyia' was from a conservative white Christian which should say enough.

#34 fchowd0311, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

Pie in the sky stuff there. Won't happen (not saying they shouldn't but...).

All those things would mean spending ALOT of money and ALOT of lives the USA isn't willing/able to spend. No one wants to go back into a recession spending money on another War(s) when there's a lot of things that need fixing on the good old USA.

16. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Three denials before the rooster crows? A true disciple wouldn't do that.

If they're going to ask three questions before letting them go through, at least one should be about an African or European swallow

17. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    "We don't want the Irish!"

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd love to do that test on Newt.

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Yes, but you're talking about tracking people's movements, purchases, and associations. Not their thoughts.

I would disagree with your last comment, it's not necessarily certain people of a certain belief system, it's a universal reaction that cuts across all races and demographic groups. I'm not talking about specifically combating Islamic extremism, but rather any external or internal threat whether legit or perceived. Most people, even rational individuals, will throw away their principles for safety. It's almost an instinctive reaction -- safety first.

Hence the common use of Ben Franklin's advice when we reach these liberty vs security issues, "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Though, for the record, this quote was actually in reference to taxes, but it is often misused and out of context. Still, I like it :)