1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Newsweek] Excerpt from Fareed Zakaria's "The Post-American World"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by weslinder, May 5, 2008.

1. weslinder

weslinder Member

This is a really interesting read, even some of its globalistic ideals are a little dangerous.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/135380/page/1

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

cliff notes?

3. weslinder

weslinder Member

US influence is decreasing, not because of any decline in America, but because of rise of other nations: notably India, China, and Brazil. It's not necessarily bad for the US, but it will require some things done differently.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Member

Thanks, I was just about to link to it. It talks about a lot of the same things.

The irony of the "post-American world" is that, essentially, we helped build it! In fact, we were the leading force behind it, with policies dating back to the 1950's. America's "vision" for the world has long been not to dominate, colonize or enslave anyone, but rather to make the world in our own image, meaning more "like us".

In this 'new' world, America will be one of the major players and may still be counted on to lead, but by the same token it will no longer be able to 'dictate' much to anyone any more, even to some of the weaker states (i.e. Sudan, Lebanon, etc).

6. Dubious

Dubious Member

It's easier to develop an economy when their is a unipolar power maintaining world peace. Historically much of any rising power's economy was invested in it's military and defense and much of the gains were lost in fighting wars.

I don't know it for a fact but there are probably fewer international wars going on right now than any time in history. There are probably fewer colonial powers raping another country's natural resources right now than at any time in history.

America should start charging protection fees. How much do you think Saudi Arabia should pay to rent the 7th Fleet? What's 50 years of keeping the USSR out of Germany worth? Kuwait ought to be our 52nd State.

We are #1 in kickin' ass, and partyin'.
    Envy us.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Member

I think US is at a point even if the government want to reduce its military expenditure signicantly, it cannot due to the power of the military industrial complex.

8. Dubious

Dubious Member

I don't want to reduce it, I just want to capitalize on it. Pax Americana is the best of times for the rest of the world. We need to be selling world peace, not giving it away; not subsidizing the competion.

9. weslinder

weslinder Member

Maybe it's good, maybe it's not, but I have ethical issues with using our troops as mercenaries. I'd rather bring them home, and let our military contractors handle more of the protection of Germany and Japan.

10. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Member

This guy did a long Q&A in last months Playboy, it was a really interesting read. If you get the chance, check it out.

11. Dubious

Dubious Member

Wes,

That just leaves you with eleventy billion dollars worth of under utilized assets. No return on your expense.

I'm really just kidding about troop rental but it is funny to me America is viewed as the world's bully while we spend ourselves into bankruptcy so the rest of the world can finally pull themselves up out of poverty. We won't be appreciated until we can't afford to do it any more. C est La Vie'

12. pirc1

pirc1 Member

It is not like the US is doing this out of kindness. The money US spend is buying back billions of billions products (Junk according to Jack), but non the less tangible products, which apparently the US consumers crave.

13. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

When your country's high schools cannot graduate over 50% of their students you have a problem, a serious problem. We are not there yet, but boy, it's getting worse.

Link

Detroit City grudation rate is about 25%. 25%! Are you kidding me? How in the world do we compete with auto makers from other countries if 75% of our motown kids don't even have high school diploma?

14. Dubious

Dubious Member

By making domestic hybrids that get over 50 miles per gallon.

Would sell like hotcakes!

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I enjoy reading Mr. Zakaria's analyses.

Often goes unmentioned in these optimism through increased wealth pieces is how we will ultimately react if the American people perceive some zero-sum relationship where we're on the losing end. At the very least, it would reaffirm support for the military industrial complex. At the very worst, we'd be gambling on the assumption that we have nothing more to lose.

I think some in leadership will try to raise parallels of the 70s where times were tough, but we had command of one of the best militaries to will ourselves out of economic hardship. Not quite the same, but ego stroking doesn't need good reasons.

I'm still optimistic we will stick with the blueprint long planned ago that envisioned us on top of a globalized machine. But if we want to be the managerial and financial brains behind the operation, then we'll have to look and build inward, with our roads, ports, transmission lines, schools, and the social conflicts plaguing our national identity. How easy will it be to encourage educated immigrants to stay when their home countries are threatening to kick our ass economically and the media blames them as the reason Joe Bob got laid off at the plant?

16. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

isn't Zakaria getting his own show on cnn or something?

17. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

You're not doing anyone any favors. That's a horrible tone to take in this discussion.

You joke about getting paid, but you have been paid in the form of oil. Everyone who has received anything from American protection has given something in return.

Considering protection will always be available in the world, but oil won't, I think you got a pretty good deal.

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

Yeah, tell that to the countries the Soviets controlled post WWII. They were collectively tickled pink with the protection they got. Great deal.

I also forgot that we don't pay hard cash to countries with oil, that they send us millions of barrel as protection money.... Saudi Arabia is content to be safe, and not filthy rich.

19. Dubious

Dubious Member

Look at the 3,000 years of world history prior to the US becoming a nuclear super power. There was no such thing as egalitarianism between countries. You dominated or you were dominated, you were a colonial power or you were a colony. You had to maintain a constant state of readiness to defend you nation. Wars wiped out entire generations of young men, wars set back entire regions by hundreds of years, entire races of people were wiped off the face of the Earth. With the world's policeman, and the United Nations (even as impotent as it is was and American invention ), free trade has flourished. Innovations in science, technology and medicine that in any time in the past would have been national secrets are free information. Three generations of foreign students have been educated in the west and many via scholarships.

America is the big fat sloppy rich uncle, but we are the catalyst that has fueled the greatest expansion of wealth, peace and general humanity the planet has ever known.

I don't know if the proponents of Globalization were self-interested but didn't understand the consequences or genuinely believed that promoting a rise in the human condition was the right thing to do. But what globalization does is even out the standard of living for everyone; taking the peaks off of the West and filling the valleys in the third world. And I can't say what the eventual 'world average' lifestyle will be but I can guarantee you by the math it won't be the level of lifestyle the US has been living. It's unsustainable for the billion or so industrialized people now, what will it be for the seven or eight billion people that will soon be on this planet?

So my humor is self directed. I laughed at the irony of the US spending all our riches and being hated for it, to police the world, so that our lifestyle can be drained away. Well, it is the Christian thing to do.

My favorite line from a Ten Year's After song from about 1968 says "rob the rich, feed the poor, till there are, no rich no more". That was pretty prophetic and counter to popular culture at the time. But it's true. The end result of Globalization will be an over crowded, over polluted, planet of worker bees controlled by oligarchs and strongmen who influence governments with their money and avoid confrontations by limiting their exploitation to their own peoples.

I'm glad I was here to enjoy America's Golden Age.