1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think we can all agree that overpaying FVV or Brooks is not ideal but given we have $50mil we HAVE to spend and not enough minutes to go around on the roster “as is”, it does make sense to overspend on short term deals with guys who you think can help bring along the young guys.

You aren’t signing these guys to build a championship roster(this FA class doesn’t have many of those guys) - you are using these guys as a bridge to develop and hold roster minimums until you gotta start paying the core.

I would think Houston is also willing to rent out cap space for other teams bad contracts but the problem is since the cap floor is about to raise, teams aren’t dying to get out from under bad contracts AND there aren’t many FAs this season worth giving up future draft capital to offload your bad contracts so you can have a chance to sign.

It’s an awkward spot to be in and I feel like Stone should have seen this coming but Houston should have been more active filling the roster with a handful of useful mid tier vets the last few years to consume some cap space so they wouldn’t be forced to spend big in a very weak FA class. To many of the points mentioned already - it forces us to willingly sign bad contracts to make minimums which limit flexibility.

robbie380 likes this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

I would prefer not to get either player, but for two years it wouldn't be too big of a deal.

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Don't forget Kuzma, meaning likely KPJ is gone to make space to sign him.

Looks like Ime is going to start FVV/Brooks/KJ/Kuzma/Sengun

Unless Green and Jabari show major improvements in their shooting and Green in his shot selection, Ime is going to make them earn it unlike Silas.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That ain't happening.

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

KPJ ain’t being traded for no kuzma or brooks

He’s big Tillys favorite and Stone and Udoka ain’t letting that catch & shoot % go unless KPJ just starts acting a fool

6. Landry's Tooth

That wasn't your claim. I said you exaggerated and it appears you inadvertently admit so.

7. Landry's Tooth

If we have to spend, I prefer to get paid talent to take on a bad deal.

A lot of teams are shedding payroll. Just have to find one with 1 or 2 young olayers we like or picks...

8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

FVV and Brooks would be a garbage signing. Kuz would be nice though. He's only 27.

9. Landry's Tooth

Just going by statmuse defensive rating, Eric Gordon is a worse defender than Russell.

I don't believe that. Just pointing out it isn't without problems.

10. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

That was my exact claim. Go back to post 143 and read it.

11. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I said from the jump that defensive stats have problems so I rarely bring them up. What are you trying to prove?

12. Landry's Tooth

Post 152.

That was what I was referring to.

You also failed to qualify what you based it on. Is there a minimum games played to qualify for example?

Saying only 4 players are worse defensively all time is a tough to do.

So if I name 5 stinkier defenders you admit you are wrong? Is that how it works?

13. Landry's Tooth

I'm not trying to prove anything. I gave an opinion and you started ripping into Russell out of the blue. Did he touch you or something?

I just said I prefer him over FVV because he's cheaper, younger, a better shooter, and bigger.

I didn't say he was Gary Payton.

You need to take a pill or something.

14. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I said according to statmuse he has the 5th worst defensive rating for PGs in NBA history. That's a true statement about what statmuse says. I'm not saying he's the 5th worst defensive PG in history.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He's a really bad defender. One of the worst defensive guards in the league. That's nothing personal against Russell it just is who he is. I can link you to articles, stats, podcasts, and videos of him playing to back it up.

16. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

DLo is a cardio machine.

In DFS terms, he just doesn't do a whole lot outside of score. He just does sprints up and down the court and chucks.

17. Landry's Tooth

Rather than waste cap space on overpaying free agents, I would prefer something like this:

To Pelicans
    KPJ
    KJ Martin

To Rockets
    CJ McCollum
    Trey Murphy
    Lottery protected #1

They shave about 20 million in cap space and get younger.

We eat the cap space but get a potential starter of the future at SF and a future pick.

McCollum cuts into Green's minutes if Green can't earn it.

18. Landry's Tooth

Chucking is fine when it goes in. His ts% was between Maxey and Bane last year.

I just don't understand why people are being a-holes for simply agreeing with me except for wanting him over FVV.

I don't want either of them.

I said he's a bad defender and then i get an attempt to write a textbook thrown at me saying it's not enough to call him a bad defender.

Just get over it. I get it, you agree with me.

Stop being weird.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

Saying it's factual that a website claims so doesn't make the data factual. I'm talking about the data. You're trying to claim because it says it on a webpage that is all you were claiming.

Define point guard. Define all time. Define minimum playing time.

You did none of those.

Statmuse has Trae Young as worst all time. It has Jamal Murray virtually tied with Russell. It had De'Aaron Fox as worse than Russell.

You made a blanket statement and didn't back it up. There have been a lot of bad defensive guards in nba history.

Saying he's one of the 5 worst in rating is difficult to believe and I've literally found errors by statmuse leaving players off lists in error.

You can just agree with me, as you already are, and recognize he's not a good defensive player and simply say you would rather gamble on FVV.

There's a logical argument for both of them. I have concerns that Raptors fans want him gone more than Jalen only fans want KPJ gone from the rockets.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No

kspires999 likes this.