1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. xaos

xaos Member

Just a simple reminder

glimmertwins and Rockets FTW like this.
  2. Landry's Tooth

I don't doubt what you say is true.

The point i was making is Russell can do more score efficiency wise and should be able to switch more on defense.

FVV overall on defense all day, but in terms of taking anyounger cheaper player it is a factor.

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Russell cannot switch on defense. He's one of the worst defensive guards in the league. He brings absolutely nothing to the table defensively.

Yes Russell is younger by 2 years but the difference between 27 and 29 for the current Rockets is negligible.

4. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Guys it's not just about getting the best guard/player and winning the most games.
    To me that's actually only priority #2!
    It's also (to me mainly) about getting a TRUE point guard that will model how to run an NBA offense for Amen.
    We need that for Amen's growth to eventually become our floor general.

At Overtime Elite the offense often devolved down to Amen driving into a packed paint against 3 or more defenders and kicking out to whichever open man he chose.
    This won't work at the NBA level!
    You can't drive into triple teams and if doubled most of the time it's best to hit the open shooter or just swing the ball for the hockey assist!
    He's picked up some bad habits at OTE he's going to have to unlearn here.

THAT'S why it needs to be an accomplished point guard.
    So he'll have the knowledge to share with Amen and have a good enough name/rep around the league that Amen will be willing to listen to him in the first place!

Easy likes this.
  5. Landry's Tooth

I am assured by Jalen Green fans being one of the worst defensive players was acceptable...

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

FVV is a shooting guard. But he is probably the best available thing that resembles a playmaker, he's still not that good at it

7. Landry's Tooth

You don't seem to understand the situation. I am not a Russell supporter. I'm saying I probably like him better than FVV for less money and age.

FVV is better on defense, Russell is better on offense.

Players with the same dbpm as Russell:

Kyrie
    Lavine
    Garland
    McCollom

Worse:
    Herro
    Tre Jones
    KPJ
    Fox
    Beal
    Lillard
    Maxey
    J Murray

Players with the same dws:
    Booker
    J Murray
    Klay Thompson
    J Poole

Fewer DWS
    Barrett
    Brunson
    Fox

Neither figure is 100% reliable but I think you are exaggerating.

DWS:
    Russell: 1.9
    J Green: 0.5

DBPM
    Russell: -0.7
    J Green: -2.6

Part of those figures are influenced by team performance, but it still doesn't explain how he's one of the worst.

I understand your keen eye tells you he's stinky. I don't care. I'm comparing apples to apples.

My concern is FVV's 3s crashed to 34% last year from 37+. He's in his prime and should not have a drop off like that.

It would not matter normally that much but he shot 45.5% from 2.

That's between Jaden Ivey and Dillon Brooks. Only 4 players leage wide among qualifiers shot worse from 2. He was 119 of 123.

There is a risk he dips again and becomes almost unplayable.

Russell Westbrook's year in Houston he had a 53.6% ts%.

FVV was 54.0% last year.

He may be a great defender, but if he can't space the floor or finish, guys will cheat off of him.

I'd prefer a 2 way player than either of them.

8. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You can't have two of those in your back court.

9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

You don't have to take my word for it on Russell. Just Google DeAngelo Russell defense and see what comes up.

Maybe FVV's shot is broken all of a sudden but I doubt it. He's a career 37% 3 point shooter and if you look at the previous 3 years you will see really good 3 point percentages on really high volume.

I'm seeing things fine. FVV is probably the best obtainable option for the Rockets and they have to overpay to get him. But if it's only a two year deal the amount doesn't matter that much. Udoka can use him for 1 or 2 years to teach and run the offense and then move on from him. I don't love FVV but I realize he's probably the best player we can get for our current situation.

10. Landry's Tooth

True, but that assumes Jalen doesn't improve. If he doesn't improve he's not starting in 2024-25.

We need to push him and if he can't handle it, then better to know now...

Like I said, prefer a 2 way player. I'm concerned FVV wrecks the offense like Westbrook.

Maybe it doesn't happen; but it's a rational fear seeing his efficiency drop...

11. Landry's Tooth

The problem is you are using subjective terms. I never said Russell was good. I said calling him one of the worst is an opinion and not based on anything objective.

I think they are booth poo and don't want either.

If I'm forced to take one, I take the cheaper and younger player. I understand the need for defense but you can't ignore offense too.

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not being subjective. His defensive rating is really bad but defensive stats aren't always the best so I rarely bring them up. But according to statmuse he has the 5th worst defensive rating for PGs in NBA history.

I'm not ignoring offense. Russell is a better shooter than FVV but FVV is more reliable with the ball in his hands. FVV had a 10.3 TOV% and Russell had a 15.2. If we bring in Russell we will be bringing in a player that is much worse on defense and much worse at giving the ball away. That's a disaster for a young team.

#152 gmoney411, Jun 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2023
  13. Landry's Tooth

Fair points, but if you're getting 32% from 3 and 42% from 2, then the spacing will hurt more than the turnover increase.

I'm skeptical about your statmuse claim. That's a high bar...

14. Landry's Tooth

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/worst-defensive-rating-nba-player

There are a lot of good players who are worse or about the same.

I think you're relying too much on one stat...

I've found errors by statmuse before. Not saying there is one now...

15. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Y'all have to relax with the underrated comments. Fred VanVleet was just an All-Star last year. Dillon Brooks was NBA All-Defense. If you pay large money for free agents, at least you give it to somebody that proven

Newsflash: We have to spend this money anyway

16. Landry's Tooth

The issue is FVV was not an allstar last year. If you're getting 2021-22 version you're ok.

It's a concern he dipped production in his prime. Was he playing hurt?

Brooks can't shoot. That will keep him as a role player. Iguodala would be best case for him.

17. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

The 90% rule is dumb. It needs to be changed. Makes teams spend when perhaps they don't want to spend. I would change the rule to 80% but you can only do it for 2 seasons in a row where then you need to spend 90%. Something similar to the luxury repeater tax.

18. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

FVV's numbers last season is not impressive at all.

19. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If FVV shoots that bad then I agree with you. But he's a career 37% 3 point shooter on 6.4 attempts a game. I'm not overly worried about his shooting based on one down year.

20. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

No I'm not because I'm not basing my claims about his defense just on that stat. I only brought up the stat because you said I was being subjective about my claims. If Russell can't be called one of the worst defensive guards in the league than almost nobody can.