1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: FVV and Brooks at 2yr/$80m & $40m are BAD contracts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Jun 28, 2023.

Tags:
  1. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Can't imagine that renting cap space is going to be worth that much this summer. OKC moved up two whole slots in the draft for taking on $22M in salary for Bertans ($5M in dead money for 2024), and Sacramento was able to get off of $24M in total and $12M in 2024 guaranteed money at the cost of only the #24 pick. No way I'm taking on that kind of commitment for such minimal return (well, if the two slots in the draft were from #4 to #2, I would have, but...)

Also don't think that Stone should be blamed for not knowing what the new CBA would bring in terms of a fairly punitive salary floor, where before the penalty was basically non-existent.

I personally love the idea of short, high AAV deals as an approach for the Rockets. It's the perfect way to push the the young guys into actually competing for minutes and being accountable, while also not providing an insurmountable roadblock. If it is Dillon Brooks and FVV as the key FA additions, it's even more of a signal that draft position truly doesn't matter, as both guys worked their way up from being 2nd Rounders/Undrafted guys into being playoff starters/champions. Although I still really dislike Brooks for any number above the MLE, even for only 2 years, I'm assuming that they pre-promised him for the exact number that would fit next to a James Harden max, and have to follow through otherwise they'll be significantly harming their reputation with the agents, or even getting hit with a tampering charge if the deal falls through.

glimmertwins and mikol13 like this.
  2. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Defensive stats aren't very good. I'm not going to breakdown a stat that I am admitting from the start has flaws and aren't reliable. I only brought it up as a non subjective argument against Russell.

I said what I think the pluses are for Russell awhile ago. He's the better scorer/shooter. FVV is the better defender and better at taking care of the ball. My opinion is that Russell would be a net negative on the Rockets young roster based on how he plays.

3. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’d rather give Kyrie 80/2 over Fred

Fulgore likes this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

I don't disagree. I feel FVV may be as well.

That's why I want neither.

I just think it's a little over the top describing him as 5 worst PG on rating all time when 2 worse ones were on the Hawks and Kings this year. Murray was virtually tied.

So we're talking 3 of the 6 or 7 worst happen to be playing now in the nba and not 10 or 20 years ago when analytics became a thing?

It just doesn't seem likely.

5. Landry's Tooth

I might but still would prefer someone like Derrick White and opt for stability and experience in Udoka's system first...

If Murray on hawks is cheap enough I might buy low... seems like them dealing Collins solved their payroll issue...

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not describing him as that. I'm saying there is a defensive stat that has him 5th worst all time. I doubt he's the 5th worst all time.

7. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Dude seems legit. He called Harden opting in and forcing trade before Woj did and called Whitmore falling out of top 10 in May.

Imanimal, Rudyc281 and Aruba77 like this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

I get what you're saying. I'm saying i don't think that is factual just because it's on a website.

I can't tell because I don't have what they are qualifying it as. Is Harden a 1 or 2? Is Luke a PG? Is it minimum games or minimum minutes played?

If I say 2 plus 3 is 5, I can verify that using math to prove it.

If I say 2 plus something is something else then the statement can be true but it doesn't mean anything.

9. Landry's Tooth

Clippers be a mess. Kawhi doesn't strike me as a Harden guy.

BIG 2.2?

Have to adjust for games played....

10. Landry's Tooth

Here's why I was skeptical...

Nba.com advanced stats
    Defensive Rating
    Filters: guards, 50 games. 25 min

Players with worse defensive ratings than russell last year:

Harden
    Curry
    Booker
    Irving
    Van Vleet
    Murray
    Paul
    Maxey
    SGA

Among many...

So it's weird to cite career defensive rating when Russell had a higher rating than Van Vleet last year. The stat isn't reliable on its own.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I know the stat isn't reliable on its own. No defensive stats are. They are very team based. It's why Russell's dtrg shot up last year when he went to a great defensive team in the Lakers. It's why asking for objective measures for defense is a setup.

What PGs do you think are worse defenders than Russell?

13. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Really? Due to injuries, sabbatical and insensitivity meeting he going to play only 45 games this year….is it worth it?

Von Rafer likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Why in LA…he got a mansion in LA n lives there during summer?o_O

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He's a owns a mansion and a yacht

17. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

No Doubt
    [​IMG]

18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That's the guy you want showing kids how to make it in the NBA and be successful?
    No thanks...
    I would rather burn that money to the ground.

Von Rafer and Jturbofuel like this.
  19. Landry's Tooth

Hadn't thought about it... just some names I would look at...

Rafer, Curry, Nash, Isaiah Thomas...

I think Lous Williams you could argue was a point because off the bench he was often a primary ball handler and he was small...

I'm sure there have been plenty of bad point guards on defense who only lasted 3 or 4 years...

The problem with having a huge sample size like 800 games played would eliminate any bad defenders who didn't have a great offensive game because they wouldn't make it in the league that long...

20. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a big deal since he's basically going to be a non-Harden guy from the Trainer's Room.