1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newsflash: Eduardo Najera will start at SF for the Mavs!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Oct 27, 2000.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Najera apparently set to start at small forward

By Dwain Price
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Following a meeting Wednesday with assistant coach Del Harris, Mavericks coach/general manager Don Nelson is leaning heavily toward opening the season with rookie Eduardo Najera as his starting small forward.
    One source said Nelson has already decided that Najera would get the start.
    Nelson said he prefers to bring Greg Buckner off the bench, which is why Najera will likely get the starting job.
    "That is a possibility that I'll start Najera," Nelson said. "We do like Buck to come in off the bench as a troubleshooter, and we can insert him in as a stopper" at the point guard, two guard and small forward.
    "No question, Najera and Buck have both earned minutes," Nelson said. "Just check the numbers and check how the team has played when Najera's been on the floor."
    During preseason, Najera is averaging 9.3 points and 4.5 rebounds in 21.7 minutes, and is shooting 57.1 percent from the field. Buckner is averaging 9.6 points and 5.7 rebounds in 25.4 minutes, and is shooting 44.4 percent from the field.
    The injury to starting power forward Gray Trent -- who is out indefinitely with a strained left upper adductor (hip) -- forced Nelson to juggle his lineup. Small forward Dirk Nowitzki will open the season starting at power forward, while Najera is the odds-on favorite to replace Nowitzki.
    Najera was a second-round draft pick whom the Mavericks acquired in a draft-day trade with the Houston Rockets. But Nelson said he is more "NBA ready" than the team's celebrated trio of first-round draft picks -- Etan Thomas, Courtney Alexander and Donnell Harvey.
    "Najera came in and did all the dirty work," Nelson said. "He's turned into a glue guy.
    "He does all the things it takes to fit into a team concept, and he happens to play a position that we need at this point, which is small forward."

------------------

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, there you have it. He's bound to be rookie of the year. Can you believe that Rudy T would trade a starter for a guy who can't play more than 10 minutes in a preseason game?

[​IMG]

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of yourself and umption.

visit www.swirve.com

3. TB3

TB3 Member

If I were a Dallas Mavs fan right now, I would be pretty darn disappointed. Eduardo Najera is a starter??

If the Mavs can't do better than this at small forward, they are in for a long season.

------------------
    http://home.swbell.net/rkb3/hr.html = Live Rockets Chat

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

First of all, their coach is Don Nelson, so you never know what he'll do. But really, I just find it amusing that the team that supposedly would shock everyone and win 50 games has to have a 2nd round draft pick in their starting lineup opening day.

------------------
    President of the Jason Collier police!

Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

But the man already has a theme song. And while Najera is hard to chant, I'm sure the Reunion Rowdies will find a way.

And this is in response to an injury. If Trent hadn't been sidelined than Nowitski would be the starting small forward.

Or maybe Najera is just that good.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Do they still have the mid-level exception? Man, getting Joe Smith would be a great pickup for them.

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

8. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You mena to tell me that Najera didn't beat out Dirk ? Blow-U sucks.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I personally still like Najera. Every good teams needs a hustle player (Like S. Anderson for us).
    Najera doesn't have all the great skills and he plays with heart.
    He may not be great but he will alwyas play hard (wish we could say the same for some of our guys - Cato especially)

------------------

10. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

As said, this is a result of an injury to Trent (surprise surprise). This moves Dirk over to PF. But I still am not sure why they would not start Laettner at PF and keep Nowitzki at SF.

The Mavs are not deep at the SF position. Actually, they are quite bare after the Ceballos departure. They have Nowitzki, who is a capable starter there as far as scoring and rebounding, but has definite problems defending the quicker small forwards in the league. Buckner is an OK backup, but a good defensive player. Then you have Najera in line also, who will command some minutes. But if they are only one injury to a PF away from starting Najera, you can see they are lacking at that slot.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Or, perhaps they sign Joe Smith.

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Newsflash: Eduardo Najera is not a Rocket. Oh btw: neither is Rashard Lewis and Michael Dickerson.

Your livin in the past man...in the past!

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

HP, they're merely trying to point out the huge mistake Rudy T & Co. made on draft night. I mean, if the guy can start for the Mavericks, we had to have made a mistake right?

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

14. JR

JR Contributing Member

I just can't wait to see what kind of B.S. excuses all the najera bashers come up with at the end of the year, when Najera makes the All-Rookie first or second team after playing over 20 minutes a game in Dallas and averaging over 5 boards a game while shooting over 50% and generally being, as Nelson says, a "glue guy."

Najera was all hustle and no talent with no future according to the bashers. Then he went out and dominated the big 12, including making Chris Mihm, he of the high lottery pick, his personal b**** on more than one occasion. Then he absolutely destroys the Rockets in the preseason game (admittedly preseason), puts up strong numbers and EARNS a starting spot over 3 first round picks. And still the Najera bashing continues.

The Rockets, a team that is undoubtedly lacking both front court strength and "glue" guys (with the exception of C-Rog), pass up on Eduardo. That is going to prove to be a mistake, although it will probably take Najera making an all-star team before the Najera bashers give in.

------------------

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

JR, I don't like Najera, but if he makes all-Rookie team, I'll be more than happy to say I was wrong in my initial assessment of him.

As long as you'll come back at the end of the season he finished on the bench and say you were wrong.

[​IMG]

------------------

visit www.swirve.com

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

What do you think it will take to get Eduardo in a rocket uni ? Francis and a #1 ?? Maybe a Cat/Cato/#1 package ?

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

17. Thanos

Thanos Member

Najera should be flattered when he hears about all the attention he gets from Rocket fans. Sometimes it feels like we talk more about Najera than the Mavs fans themselves. Actually, I´m sure of it. [​IMG]

Get over it.

I would rather dwell on the passing up of Desmond Mason than waste such much time with Najera.

I second the thoughts that He WILL be riding the bench come season´s end.

------------------
    "I have posted so much that what I say must be true"

18. JR

JR Contributing Member

i have come to soonerockstro's defense before, once or twice, and while i'm not quite as vociferous with respect to this issue as he is, the man has a point. I'm just tired of people oohing and aahing over guys with mad skills who don't know how to play basketball or are unwilling to hit the floor, so to speak. I think "hustle guys" like Najera are MORE valuable in the NBA because, frankly, there are plenty of guys in the NBA that "coast" at certain times during games and guys like Najera can and do take advantage of those more frequent than is commonly admitted lapses. Eduardo is the kind of guy that if he gets the minutes will pull down 9 rebounds a game. It's that simple, and someone who can do that is valuable, possibly indispensable, to a team that is trying to win.

I will happily say I was "wrong" if for some reason Eduardo winds up riding the pine in Dallas. I'm not saying he will start all year, but I don't expect him to be riding the pine and I do think he will make an all-rookie team.

------------------

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

How can anyone not like a hustling young player like Najera,he may not have the greatest tools in the world,but he makes up for it with hustle,heart and determination.I for one am sorry we did not keep him.

------------------