1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Newsday) Knicks after TMac since summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDaCowboy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

They only guy with value on that team.....besides Nate, but our PG's are short enough as it is. Lee would fit in perfect, but I don't see a package that could make a trade for him work. :(

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Well, I'm working on the general assumption (for purposes of this thread) that the Rockets want to rid themselves of T-Mac immediately. Otherwise, I'd agree with you. Actually, my own personal opinion is that the Rockets wait and see how T-Mac fits with this team on the court before making any further decisions.

As far as taking a bad contract (e.g., Jared Jeffries) from the Knicks, my thinking there is that this would be the only way for the Rockets to realistically get anything of great value from Donnie Walsh (who is no Isiah Thomas) in a trade beyond just other expiring contracts. Also, I don't see the Rockets doing much with their cap room this summer, since I think they will want to keep Scola, Lowry and Hayes. Better to keep this core together, take advantage of other teams' desperation to clear cap room for this summer, and just add a third-tier free agent via the MLE.

3. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

McGrady for Curry, Mobley, and Chandler should make sense for both teams. That gives NY McGrady and Danillo on the wings with Nate/Duhon at the point, Harrington at PF, and David Lee in the middle. That is a lower echelon playoff team this year if McGrady recovers his game to 80% of his previous level.

We get a young wing replacement, Chandler, who brings both offensive playmaking and good defense to mix with Ariza/Budinger. We also get Curry, a $10 expiring we can stack up for next year. We also get Mobley's expiring, Cook's expiring, and one of either Landry/Scola to get a major superstar big such as Bosh.

4. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Jordan Hill, Wilson Chandler and Dan have some value to.

KR

5. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Curry has an $11M player option for 2010-11. THAT is why the Knicks have been so desperate to trade him. He is single-handedly killing their chances of adding two max free agents.

Also, the total of expiring contracts does not equate to the total of a team's cap space. You've been posting on this BBS long enough to know better.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Curry has a player option for next season.

7. Possum

Possum Member

Chuck Hayes, Brian Cook, Tracy McGrady for Danilo Gallinari, David Lee, Darko Milicic and Al Harrington works for me.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Agreed.

I'd take a punt on:

Mobley, Jeffries, Chandler and Hill

Send back TMax, Dorsey and Cook.

Rockets save around $8million (+ more with Mobley's continued insurance).

I know it hardly addresses any "current needs" issues, and creates a further logjam at the swingman and PF positions - but Jeffries has the 'length' to play C, is probably a better shot-blocker than anyone else on our roster, and is mobile up and down the court.
    Hill is a terrific talent, who is in the 'Al Jefferson' mould of inside bangers. Certainly brings his lunch pail, could use some serious coaching, but would give a 'parachute' when it comes to renegotiating with Scola over the summer - Landry backed up by Hill and Hayes doesn't sound wretched.

And Wilson Chandler is a very solid swingman with excellent size. It's always worth having talent on the roster, and he'd allow us to look to make further moves over the course of the season!

Mobley's contract is probably more useful than T-Macs in terms of trying to solve our BIGGEST need (ie - a big man who can protect the paint) - it's enticing because of the 'instant savings' it brings another team; it falls more closely in line with the salaries of the big men around the league - and it can always be packaged with something else to bring back value.

If we're of the opinion that TMac isn't going to fit here, then bringing back Chandler/Hill is a huge win in my book.
    And if he's in any sort of game shape, then it does a few HUGE things for New York
    (1) it helps them clear 20 wins for this season
    (2) it gives them a 'superstar' to entice someone else to come and play in NY
    (3) it leaves them with only about $15million in committed salaries for next season - they could make TMac an offer of around $13million for next season and STILL bring in 2 maximum free agents (assuming the cap stays about the same).

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

The Knicks have no reason to make that deal.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Curry has a player option for next season and as such is an expiring we can use for trade next season when some other team wants to dump salary. REMEMBER WHAT MOREY SAID. We are probably going to add to this team primarily through trade. A lot of teams are in financial crisis right now. This is the incentive to trade for McGrady's contract. ESPN Insider is reporting Hornets are kicking around the idea of trading out almost the entire team, dumping salary and starting over.

All I am saying is trading for Curry at the trade deadline is not necessarily a bad thing if we can get Mobley's expiring to trade with Cook for somebody else and if we get a young talent like Chandler back. What if we could combine Mobley's expiring, Battier, and Landry and get back Bosh and some other trash like Reggie Evans? Then we've got Curry sitting there next year as prime trade bait for some other team looking to dump salary. This is the general concept/approach Morey is going to take. Add salary and add young talent in exchange for our expirings instead of trying to dump salary and see if we can entice a free agent to come play here.

11. texascityman31

Incoming Players
    David Lee
    6-9 PF from Florida
    17.2 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.7 apg in 33.3 minutes
    Darko Milicic
    7-0 C from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign)
    2.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 8.9 minutes
    Cuttino Mobley
    6-4 SG from Rhode Island
    No games yet played in 2009-2010
    Outgoing Players
    Joey Dorsey
    6-9 PF from Memphis
    Tracy McGrady
    6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)

All 3 knicks contract's expire at the end of the year. Only one rockets might have interest in re-signing would be Lee. But for the rest of the season it would give us more depth up front.

Staters:

PF - Lee (30mpg)

SF - Battier (35mpg)

C - Scola (30mpg)

SG - Ariza (37mpg)

PG - Brooks (34mpg)

Bench:

PG/SG - Lowry (20mpg)

SG/SF - Budinger (20mpg)

PF - Landry (20mpg)

C - Hayes/Anderson (14mpg)

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is where you and i disagree, though i respect your side of the argument.

i'm not concerned with wilson chandler (for example) breaking the rotation as much as i am concerned with asset management, which is a strategy that morey has emphasized. chandler and a future protected pick may not be much but it's more than nothing, which is what we will be left with if/when tmac leaves this summer and we're still over the cap. of course i would search for a better deal from other teams but if we can't get a kevin martin type player we might as well get whatever we can, rather than throwing the whole thing away.

as for eddy curry, its completely understandable why no one wants him. however, at the end of the year he becomes a $10M expiring contract which is pretty valuable and much easier to trade for a guy like kevin martin than tmac's giant contract is. we would be in the position to sweeten the deal with a young player and a pick, of which we would have extra thanks to the knicks trade.

this kind of trade may not be an immediate gain, but it isn't an immediate loss either. what it does is put us in the position to have greater gains in the future.

13. texascityman31

Incoming Players
    Joey Dorsey
    6-9 PF from Memphis
    David Andersen
    0-0 from
    5.6 ppg, 2.6 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.4 minutes
    Tracy McGrady
    6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS)
    Outgoing Players
    Kurt Thomas
    6-9 PF / C from Texas Christian
    2.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 0.6 apg in 12.5 minutes
    Michael Redd
    6-6 SG from Ohio State
    13.0 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.2 minutes
    Dan Gadzuric
    6-11 C from UCLA
    2.6 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 0.6 apg in 10.2 minutes

PF - Scola (30mpg)

SF - Ariza (32mpg)

C - Thomas (24mpg)

SG - Redd (32mpg)

PG - Brooks (30mpg)

Bench:

PG - Lowry (18mpg)

SG/SF - Battier (32mpg)

PF - Landry (24mpg)

C - Hayes/Gadzuric (18mpg)

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

jopatmc and smoothie, just because a player has an expiring contract does not mean that he's a valuable trade asset. Teams are not going to be going ga-ga for 2011 free agency like they are for this coming summer. I can guarantee you that nobody's burning up Morey's phone line with requests for Brian Cook's ($3.5M) expiring contract. What makes you think teams will want Eddy freaking Curry's $11M expiring deal? Also, if this was going to be Morey's trade philosophy, why not just deal for Jared Jeffries (whose contract will expire in 2011 at $7.4M) instead? The Knicks are just as desperate to trade him. At least Jeffries is a decent defender. Curry is terrible on defense, a black hole on offense, and would have no place whatsoever on the Rockets.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is my feelings on it too. DD wants to take curry's deal so next yr they can flip him as a expiring, but what they're not factoring in are the other teams that have better players that have the same thought. Dallas has Howard and a partially guaranteed dampier as bait. As a gm, i would rather have any of those 2 vs curry. Last year we saw Rafe just expire and allen is the richest owner in the league. I like the idea of breaking his contract up, but taking eddy curry without getting a draft pick and a good young player is a disaster. There are other deals to which u can pursue if they want to do that. Like you said before, i don't think morey will do anything until he see tracy play. Hell, i would take Murphy and Foster as a combo before anything the knicks have to offer if chandler o lee wasn't involved. At least we know murphy is a double-double big with 3pt range and foster is a bruising,hard working rebounding 7 ft er. That would get the rockets to 25% of tracy's contract and get them out of lux tax also.

16. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Here's the "new and improved" Curry:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLKTvpzfGfM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLKTvpzfGfM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I want no part of that.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Lebron James and Chris Bosh?

18. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Besides Chandler there is NOTHING on the Knicks that I would want to see in a Rockets uniform. And why do these writers keep bringing up Eddy Curry as a replacement/backup for Yao, they cant be serious.

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Just for fun, here are some "T-Mac to Knicks" trades that I'd at least consider. Again, this whole thread is predicated on the assumption that the Rockets want to rid themselves of T-Mac as soon as possible and do not want him on the roster this year no matter what. While I disagree with this strategy, these trade assume this. So, here goes:

Trade Type #1: Expirings for Expirings

Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook and Joey Dorsey for Larry Hughes and Cuttino Mobley

Neither team's cap situation is affected. The Rockets get a serviceable wing player to rent for a few months in Hughes and a nice financial asset in Mobley's (80% covered by insurance) expiring contract, which would be an attractive asset to flip at the February trade deadline. They also get below the luxury tax threshold and get a $4.1M trade exception to use this summer.

Tracy McGrady and Joey Dorsey for Al Harrington and Cuttino Mobley

Same objective, except that the Rockets get another quality big in Harrington (a guy who Les Alexander has actually liked for years) instead of Hughes. Since it's a smaller deal, Brian Cook does not get dumped. But this deal also drops the Rockets below the luxury tax threshold and generates a $4.2M trade exception.

Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook and Joey Dorsey for Al Harrington, Darko Milicic and Cuttino Mobley

Same as the above, except that Brian Cook and Darko are added to even out salaries. The Rockets are still over the luxury tax, don't get a trade exception, but they do get a serviceable(?) center in Darko.

Trade Type #2: Take Jeffries, Get a Pick

Tracy McGrady and Joey Dorsey for Jared Jeffries, Cuttino Mobley, Jordan Hill and a 2012 1st rd. pick

If the protection on the pick was limited, I would do this deal. Les saves a ton of money, gets a nice prospect in Hill, and gets a potential future lottery pick. The Rockets also get well below the luxury tax threshold and get two trade exceptions ($4.4M, $881k). However, I don't see Donnie Walsh making this deal.

Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook and Joey Dorsey for Jared Jeffries, Larry Hughes, Wilson Chandler and a 2012 1st rd. pick

Same as above, but on a larger scale. Les doesn't get the financial benefit of Mobley's contract, but he still avoids the tax. Hughes can play, and Chandler is substituted for Hill. The Rockets also get two trade exceptions ($5M, $881k). If McGrady is healthy, I think Donnie Walsh makes this deal (assuming some adequate level of protection on the pick).

Tracy McGrady, Brian Cook and Joey Dorsey for Jared Jeffries, Al Harrington, Darko Milicic and a 2012 1st rd. pick

The salaries here are closer, and the Rockets don't get a good young player. Unfortunately, the Rockets would be stuck JUST over the luxury tax here, with little way of getting under it. They would get a $3.2M trade exception, though. For Morey to make this deal, the 2012 pick would have to have VERY limited protection.

Trade Type #3: Take Eddy Curry, Donnie Walsh Will Do Anything For You . . . I Mean ANYTHING

Nothing.

There is no scenario in which I can see Daryl Morey wanting that fat waste of space. No defense. No passing ability on offense. No way. Maybe (MAYBE) if the Knicks offered completely unprotected picks in 2012, 2014 and 2016. But that's about it.

Of course, there could be additional variations of any of these trades. But these are just a few ideas that would be at least viable.

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I don't understand this idea that Morey will feel compelled to trade McGrady just to get rid of him. Splitting the expirings - ok, getting back young players/picks - great, but trading just to get rid of him doesn't make sense. If they just wanted to get rid of him they could just tell him to stay away from the team for the duration of the season.