1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Newsday) Knicks after TMac since summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDaCowboy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. MONON

MONON Member

Trading with NY is a complicated issue.1st of all, this Newsday article states that the Knicks are owned by Cablevision which also owns Newsday. Credibility is an issue here!That being said, the Knicks have traded their 2010 1st round pick to Utah. I don't think they can trade their 2011 1st rounder and 2012 is a long wait for returns.

I like 2 expirings + Jordan Hill from the Knicks(if we have to) or the Martin & Nocioni from the Kings trade the best.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The problem with getting a nice young player with a cheap contract is how much crap are you going to have to take back to make the trade work? I would trade TMac straight up for a couple of players on the Knicks just for depth or future potential but none of them are guaranteed to break into the rotation. My problem is that I am not willing to take back the Eddie Curry's of the world for just some depth. For taking back a bunch or crap I need something substantial like an unrestricted 1st round draft pick or a potential closer. I don't see that coming from the Knicks so as a result I prefer to just let TMac walk then to take back their trash.

3. crash5179

For those wanting Wilson Chandler...why? I'm not sure he cracks the rotation on this team. The obvious player he would be fighting for playing time is Chase Budinger. Wilson is older than Chase and has been in the league for 2 years already but is he playing better than Chase? The stats do not indicate that he is and as such I would say Chase has a higher upside. Give me someone that has a shot at being a difference maker or just let TMac walk.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets let Tmac walk they only get $7 million to sign another player. They would be losing more than $16 million in asset capability by letting him walk.

It would be better if they broke that contract up into smaller chunks, and maybe the NY trade does not net you the player you want but the next deal does.

Or, do a three way deal....but if the Rockets have decided that Tmac is not in their future, they need to move him ASAP, because the drama will effect the rest of the team until something is done.

DD

5. crash5179

I'm all for dealing TMac but I'm not sure we get back anything from the Knicks that the rest of the league is going to be eager to trade for. What would we get for Wilson Chandler in a trade? Someone else that would have a hard time cracking the rotation? I don't know. I trust DM is doing his homework and then some. Unless I got exactly what I wanted I would wait until the trade deadline to trade TMac.

Also I think being 7 million under the cap is not a bad place to be. Makes future trades that much more easier as we could take back more than we give up salary wise. People looking for a third team in a trade would be calling because we have cap room. And then you never know what free agent might overplay his hand looking for a big pay-off but maybe having to settle for 7 mil a year vs. 10 mil a year.

I'm not saying 7 million under the cap is the greatest thing in the world but it is certainly more valuable than the mid level exception that almost all teams are stuck with.

I just don't want to be stuck with a bunch of players from a TMac trade that will not crack the rotation while keeping us over the cap.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I agree. The only players that the Knicks could dangle in front of us that would make me listen is Gallinari and Hill - mostly because we could use the size. I also think that when you transplant those players into our culture and Adelman's system, you'd see their value increase. But all of this talk about Chandler + Curry? No thanks.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Guys like Hughes, Harrington and Chandler will only cut into the development of young studs like Chase or even Taylor this season. Plus, too many new players may screw up chemistry. Curry is not a Morey type player.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

In Morey I trust.

9. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

I'd hate to trade T-mac anywhere and then see him playing well. It'd be a big spat on the face. I really want to see him step on the court first and see if his demeanor has changed any bit. If he's playing like he did during his first year with us, then we gotta keep him and maybe make a run for it this year. He really wants a contract extension, so I figure he's going work hard enough to try to get one. Once he's clear to play, let him give it a try. if he's sucking it up and making our team worse, then consider trade options open. Just get the best deal possible. Sure we may not get any trade value then, but trading him for the pitiful knick's team, I'll pass on that.

10. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

I would like this 3-team trade with New York:

Houston gets:
    Martin from Kings -- High scoring 2 guard
    Mobley from Knicks -- Cut to get below salary cap
    Milicic from Knicks -- Defensive minded 7" center as back-up

Knicks gets:
    McGrady from Rockets -- They want him
    K. Thomas from Kings -- Goes off the book after this year

Kings gets:
    Curry from Knicks -- They need a big
    Cook from Rockets -- Another big who can shoot
    Dorsey for Rockets -- Possibe future big

What do you think?

11. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

I think the Rockets wouldn't wanna trade for another injury prone shooting guard and that the Kings would be getting raped in this trade

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You know your organization is screwed when your single greatest trade asset is the contract of a retired player.

worzel, the Knicks CANNOT trade their 2011 first rounder. NBA rules prohibit trading consecutive first round draft picks. The 2012 pick is the earliest one they can trade right now. Of course, they could make a draft day deal where they take a player for another team and then immediately trade that player's draft rights to another team; but by then, McGrady's contract will be up, so no deal.

This. Morey is not an idiot. If he is going to take Curry (no way) or Jeffries (possible) off of the Knicks' hands, he better be getting a significant asset in return. I rank the Knicks' assets (and it's painful how pathetic those assets are) as to how Morey and the Rockets would value them as follows:

(1) Cuttino Mobley's expiring contract (80% of which is covered by insurance)
    (2) Danillo Gallinari (no way the Knicks trade him, though)
    (3) 2012 1st round pick (depending on how limited the protection is)
    (4) Wilson Chandler (good young player, but Rockets already have Ariza and Budinger at that position)
    (5) David Lee (great rebounder, but sub-par defender - no thanks for the contract he'll demand)
    (6) Al Harrington's expiring contract (Les Alexander has always liked him, but he's not much better than Landry)
    (7) Larry Hughes's expiring contract (serviceable wing player; he'd be gone come July)
    (8) Jordan Hill (would like to see what he's capable of, but he's redundant for the Rockets)
    (9) 2013/2014 1st round pick (depending on protection; 2014 pick, if the Knicks are also dealing the 2012 pick)
    (10) Nate Robinson (wouldn't touch that punk with a 10-foot pole)

Being over the cap (but significantly below the luxury tax) is also not a bad place to be. I personally would rather make a trade that netted the Rockets some future assets (young player, draft pick) and just forego salary cap room in 2010. If this Rockets team can somehow make the playoffs, free agents who lose out on big money will line up to take the Rockets' MLE over other teams' MLEs. Plus, the Rockets would have the LLE as well (which they would NOT have if they instead had any cap room) to use on another free agent who loses out on bigger money.

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm inclined to agree with DD on this one. For instance, if Morey was truly determined to dump T-Mac ASAP, it would make future trades much easier if the Rockets could break up that contract up into two smaller-yet-still-sizeable expiring contract, especially if one of them is Cuttino Mobley's deal.

As for getting a future first rounder from the Knicks, that'll cost the Rockets having to at least take back Jared Jeffries's contract. If the 2012 pick is unprotected, I'd do that.

I just don't see Lebron leaving Cleveland or Wade leaving Miami. Now, it's looking more and more likely that Bosh will stay in Toronto (or at least not go to New York without joining Lebron or Wade there). Maybe they get a guy like Amare. Maybe. But even then, Amare's no-defense-playing self isn't going to lead the Knicks to better than a low playoff seed. Les, Morey and the Rockets' front office have a much longer-term plan for this franchise than most people on this BBS. That pick could become a future franchise player, or at least a potential starter.

14. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

I'm beginning to understand how Cavs fans were feeling about the Lebron to Knicks crap. New York is a nuisance.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

He's not as good as his numbers make him out to be, poor defender and an average athlete and now he thinks he's worth 12M/yr. I'll take Scola, let some other team sign him for 12M and regret that contract.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But he is expiring...you could flip him to another team for some picks or something we want more.

DD

17. RocketMania1991

I wouldn't want the Knicks first round pick since they most likely will sign one or more big names this offseason. Thus making the pick we would get possibly not even be a lottery.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The problem with that, DD, is that the relative trade value of David Lee would be more than that of an expiring contract. His trade value is that of a young, up-and-coming player who puts up impressive stats (and who also is an expiring contract). Unfortunately, he is not someone who would greatly benefit the Rockets, so to give up relatively greater value (or forego something that would more greatly benefit the Rockets), just for "an expiring contract" to flip later and which may or may not result in the Rockets getting something of much value in return, just isn't worth it. Personally, I'd rather take the "negative trade value" of Jared Jeffries plus the positive trade value of an unprotected future first round pick instead.

19. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I don't get the trade with the Knicks Bima. Explain to me. I doubt we want any players from the Knicks so why would we get bad contracts for a HUGE expiring contract? If we can't get better value in a trade with T Mac, we should just play it out this season with him.

20. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

First of all, i don't wanna send T-Mac to some crap team like the Knicks.

Secondly, what is there of value in the knicks which we would like to trade Mac for??