1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Newsday) Knicks after TMac since summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDaCowboy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. markus4040

markus4040 Member

Curry? no way. David Lee? Lets talk

2. 1individual

1individual Member

Would be good to deal with the Knicks. McGrady would be playing in my home state, could follow up his game there meanwhile favorite team in West would be Houston. How lovely. :)

3. dragonz

dragonz Member

I think Knicks should pay all of us for wasting our time.

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I know that dealing with NY is not the best but we have to have realistic expectations.

Incoming Players
    Wilson Chandler 6-8 SF from DePaul 12.1 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 1.8 apg in 33.2 minutes
    or
    Danilo Gallinari 6-10 SF from Italy (Foreign) 14.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 1.3 apg in 29.3 minutes
    (either salaries would work)
    And...
    Darko Milicic 7-0 C from Serbia-Montenegro (Foreign) 2.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.5 apg in 8.9 minutes
    Cuttino Mobley 6-4 SG from Rhode Island No games yet played in 2009-2010
    Eddy Curry 6-11 C from Thornwood (HS) 6.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 12.1 minutes

Outgoing Players
    Jermaine Taylor 6-4 SG from Central Florida 2.3 ppg, 0.0 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.9 minutes
    Joey Dorsey 6-9 PF from Memphis No games yet played in 2009-2010
    Brian Cook 6-9 PF from Illinois 0.0 ppg, 0.3 rpg, 0.0 apg in 2.7 minutes
    Tracy McGrady 6-8 SG / SF from Mount Zion Christian Academy (HS) No games yet played in 2009-2010

Why NY does this? Duh - to get further under the cap next year to go after a big name FA

Why Houston does this? Yes we have to eat Curry's contract for 1 year but we get under the LT by waiving Mobley and we get an expiring big in Darko that we could use this year plus we get back either Chandler or Gallinari. In exchange we take out the trash - Tracy and 3 guys that will most likely will never see any meaningful minutes on the court. The money Les saves on LT and salaries this year will pay for Curry's contract next year. So basically this is Tracy for Chandler or Gallinari and a 1 year Darko rental. And who knows, Curry or Darko may turn out to be keepers though Curry is highly doubtful but Chandler or Gallinari and Darko would be a welcome addition to the current mix without losing any rotation players.

The only other option is to hope that this current situation turns around but I'm afraid bridges have already been burnt.

#104 ArtV, Nov 22, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. wonderboy2313

wonderboy2313 Member

Give me Al Harrington and Larry Hughes and we can be a top three team. :grin:

6. worzel gummidge

Rockets: Dunleavy + Foster + Mobley
    Knicks: McGrady + Hansbrough + Diener + Cook
    Pacers: Lee + Hughes +Taylor + Dorsey

* Rockets get under the tax
    * Pacers stay under the tax, clear around $15M for 2010
    * Knicks payroll is static

Brooks, Lowry
    Dunleavy, Budinger, Mobley
    Ariza, Battier
    Scola, Landry
    Foster, Hayes, Andersen, Yao

Duhon, Douglas, Robinson, Diener
    McGrady, Chandler
    Gallinari, M.Landry, Cook
    Harrington, Hansbrough, Jeffries
    Curry, Hill, Milicic

Ford, Watson, Head, Price
    D.Jones, Rush, Taylor
    Granger, Hughes
    Lee, McRoberts, Dorsey
    Hibbert, Murphy, S.Jones

7. wingz0

wingz0 Member

I think we'd be seriously gimping ourselves in any trade scenario with the Knicks... As low as McGrady's trade value is now, any possible trade scenario would only allow us to angle for financial flexibility vs getting back players we can actually contribute big time.

Just curious though, what is the general consensus regarding David Lee vs our current crop of PFs?

Personally, I'm not sure he's that much of an upgrade over Landry/Scola to warrant jumping the gun on a McGrady trade.

8. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Crappy deal.

We let Tracy walk at the end of the season with nothing to show but money off of the books before we take some other teams crap. Honestly I can't think of anything the Knicks could offer that would make me go "HELL YEAH". Give me an unprotected 1st rounder and thats about it. otherwise they have nothing of interest. No wonder DM is not returning their calls.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

But they have smaller expiring contracts, which can be flipped for other assets...

Flipping one big monstorous contract is hard !

DD

10. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I disagree. Marion was traded twice last yr and oneal. Shaq has been traded a few times as well. I don't think its any water to this article. I'll trade tracy and would take curry. If the rox take curry and don't get chandler at least, they lost bigtime.

11. michaelconnor22

yeah no way rockets do that, if they want to make a legit move they need to call toronto and get chris bosh

12. albuster

albuster Member

Now we are talking.

13. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Give me Wilson Chandler, Jordan Hill and whatever for T-Mac.

14. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'll take mobely and hughes for Mcgrady

we don't take on any added years, get out from half the salary commitment and get to look at hughes for the rest of the season (hell the quicker we get it done, we could possibly ship hughes right back out)

they get a shot at seeing how good mcgrady is and don't extend their commitments - their downside is insurance picking up even more salary, their upside is tracy fits and they extend and have a superstar

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Thats the real key right there. We don't need financial flexibility because TMacs numbers come off the books at the end of the season. If some team is going to offer a bunch of players that will not even crack the rotation what's the benifit to the Rockets? There is none. Even David Lee would be challenged for minutes on this team. Who would he take minutes from? Scola? Landry? I think Scola is actually a lot like David Lee, not the most athletic player be a good rebounder and an efficient scorer. Al Harington? I don't think he is as good as Scola or Landry. I like what David Anderson is bringing off of the bench...a 5 that stretches the floor.

IMO it is very important to get just the right piece for McGrady or just let him walk. I love our team and the way they play. Honestly I see them as just one go to guy away from being a legit contender. Someone like a Chris Paul who you can put the ball in his hands at the end of the game and the other team just has no answer.

You take Kobe off of the Lakers and I would not trade teams with LA. Kobe just happens to be one of those players that at the end of the game can take over. I'm not sure who that player can be for the Rockets (on the team currently or someone we can acquire in a trade). I don't think Yao can be that person and I don't think Tracy can be that person (for different reasons).

In short I don't trade TMac unless it helps to get me a true closer.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Studdog, if all the rockets are getting out of it is 2 expiring contracts, why not just keep tracy's 23m expiring.

17. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I say just hold on to our garbage and let him walk at the end of the year as opposed to being stuck with someone elses trash for another year or two.

18. Zer0

Zer0 Member

Only player I want from the knicks is Jordan Hill.

A legit 6'10 center/forward who can block shots and has a lot of go to moves on offense, including a nice 12-15 ft. jumpshot.

He's only 22 and still has tons of upside. He also played with Chase in Arizona.
    We should try to get this guy.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

but if none are available you're next step is to hold onto tmac's contract and let him walk. probably to another team this summer.

i agree that it would be great to trade tmac for a closer. however i would suggest that if none are available it would be better to get a nice young player on a cheap contract (and maybe a draft pick) rather than being left with nothing but some cap space.

$20M still comes off the books, but you at least have wilson chandler and a draft pick (for example) instead of not having those assets.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Because I think Hughes, much like Crawford, could reinvigorate his career on a team that plays together.

Because trading Tracy and not getting back a poison pill contract could be very hard.

Because in this scenario you break up Tracy's contract into two pieces that could potentially be moved in other scenario's.

Because I would think there would be a long line for Mobley's contract

Because if nothing else comes available, you have rid yourself of the negative situation that McGrady is undoubtedly going to make worse and you still haven't lost salary flexibility

Because I think Morey has already accepted a scenario in which he just lets Tracy walk