1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Newsday) Knicks after TMac since summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDaCowboy, Nov 21, 2009.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Either a team plays team ball (e.g. Rockets) or it doesn't (e.g. Knicks). T-Mac does not play team ball, which means his team does not play team ball when he is on the floor. He may be a better scorer than whoever's minutes he takes, but he will also be a worse defender than whoever's minutes he takes.

2. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Another trade baby ... :grin:

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I did say that about Battier and I still believe it.

There were 3 legitimate players on those teams + a ton of garbage. Not surprisingly, those 3 are the only ones that remain here after the Wizard took over as GM.

And yes, I don't want to relinquish McGrady unless you are getting a legitimate piece back. Jefferson is a piece, Knicks and Twolves draft picks are pieces, Rubio Im not sure about. Any players the Knicks have are not, so unless Morey has another deal setup to immedialtey move the smaller more "manageble contracts", I am against.

4. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

The thing you are forgetting is that you won't be 7 mil under the cap for long with Scola and Brooks due for a big raise.

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

NYC always blows smoke out their asses. They have a 25 hour news cycle. Got to fill it with bs sometimes.

6. RyanB

RyanB Member

http://www.knicksfan.net/?p=2683

TMac: The Real No-Brainer
    Nov 21st, 2009
    by Dan L.

Ok so the Knicks turned down the chance to sign Allen Iverson. Now fans won’t get to see The Answer jack up 25 shots a night at the expense of Gallinari, Douglas, Hill, and most importantly, Eddy Curry, just to win 5 more games.

[Note: since Donnie used player development as an excuse to not sign A.I., I would like to see the Knicks actually do that every night. So far they haven't.]

But make no mistake, the Knicks need to showcase Curry. The better he looks (and he looked good on Wednesday), the better the chance the Knicks can trade him, thereby clearing enough cap space to sign two max guys in July.

It has also been reported (by Hahn among others) that the Knicks are looking at alternative opportunities to improve the roster. That could explain why their hotness for Iverson seemed to turn ice cold overnight. What potential opportunity could be in the works? Adrain Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports reports that Tracy McGrady is fed up with the rockets and the situation has reached a boiling point. Wojnarowski also writes that the Rockets main goals in dealing with TMac involve maintaining team chemistry and saving money by having insurance pick up 80% of his per game salary for each game that he misses from here on out.

Now, the incoming and outgoing salaries involved in any trade with the Rockets must be within 150% of one another. That means the Rockets can take back a good amount less than than McGrady’s $23 million. That difference is doubled, since as a tax paying team, the Rockets would also be spared a dollar for dollar penalty equal to difference between McGrady’s salary and whatever they bring back. And if one of the contracts is Cuttino Mobley’s, Houston will be entitled to have insurance cover it, as long as they obtain it by the end of the month (a year from Cuttino’s “injury”).

A deal that makes a lot of sense for both teams is Duhon/Jeffries/Darko for McGrady/Cook. Knicks lose Jeffries and get a scorer and the Rockets maintain chemistry and save millions on Mobley’s contract and millions more in avoiding a dollar for dollar tax penalty. Once Mobley’s contract comes off their books, Houston would save about $10 million in salary and thus $10 million in tax as well. In fact, this trade makes so much sense, I’m surprised it hasn’t happened yet.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

A true New Yorker, who thinks the world revolves around its core, New York City, and his team. We can ransom Tracy for much more than this.

8. Yak

Yak Member

Yeah, I'm sure the Knicks management stays up at night thinking about this one :rolleyes:

This writer doesn't think both ways.

9. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

naw, thats just serious wishfull thinking. Would never happen
    Morey>Knicks org.

10. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Do you see the Knicks making a move for T-Mac? Motivation would appear to be present on both ends, and the knicks have expiring contracts to match up. Thoughts?
    Chris Sheridan
    (3:03 PM)

I see the motivation on the Knicks' part -- I have always said mcGrady is their panacea, if they can get Houston to take on Curry/Jeffries in such a deal -- but I think the Rockets would be silly to take either of those bad Knicks contracts unless what came along with it was too good to pass up, and I can't see NY putting together a package of anything -- unless you start throwing in multiple future No. 1 picks -- that would make the Rockets bite.

11. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Imo it would be good for Tracy to play in NY. Hell, I really like that team.

But the Rockets are not gonna do that.

12. Chamillionaire

couple of future 1st, that would be the icing on the cake. but no way we take on curry nor jeffries, they are trash. and payed.

13. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

i would trade tmac for the knicks if we locked in jordan hill wilson chandler or chandler and a first rounder, but the jazz own it... so i guess id do it for hill and chandler.. duhon is nice tho too, that would eliminate our need to resign lowry next year... so many options. i think we could get value from the knicks.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks tmac1!

Hmmm. DM knows what he is doing I think...;)

Jordan Hill and Wilson Chandler are the only valuable assets that I can see on this team, because they have not been tainted with all the bad habits of the other Knicks. In other words, we can still make the best out of the talent they have. I mean, seriously, look what we did with Carl Landry!!! Jordan Hill could be a stud!!!

15. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

would any1 use Tmac <---> Nate Robinson & Wilison Chandler???????? :rolleyes:

since everyone hate Curry!! :confused:

16. thething

thething Contributing Member

Curry/Mobley/Chandler/Douglas/Hill/future 1st for T-Mac/Cook/Dorsey/Taylor

You can substitute Lee for Mobley, if you want him. The downside to this deal is that we have to get rid of Taylor to save a roster spot. You could possibly omit Douglas to save Taylor, depending on which one they prefer. The bright side to this deal is that you get 3 or 4 assets, and for New York, they get rid of Curry and can maybe acquire some nice free agents. They would love for Jeffries to be included too, which would be a tougher sell for the rockets.

17. AggieRocketsFan

Dunno if this has been posted yet... Who knows if its credible or not.

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/18502616?source=rss_blogs_NBA

18. sephiroth.hk

sephiroth.hk Member

curry still has 2 year contract and will be another cook.
    it will make rockets cannot do anthing in 2010 summer...

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

2 future firsts from the Knicks and its a done deal for me.

20. Chamillionaire