1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEWS ON D.A.: so how are the spurs going to improve again???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Shandon Anversen, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Shandon Anversen

tee hee. [​IMG]

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=210&xlc=264580&xld=210

Express-News: Spurs
    Spurs make an offer DA can refuse
    By Johnny Ludden
    San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 07/17/2001

Derek Anderson continued to hold out for a more lucrative contract after the Spurs increased their offer on Monday.

The Spurs improved their initial four-year offer by adding a guaranteed fifth season, bringing the contract's total value to about $36 million, sources said.

Anderson is seeking the maximum six-year deal, but the Spurs appear to have taken a hard-line stand by guaranteeing a fifth season. Another sticking point is that the Spurs' latest offer also does not include the maximum 10 percent annual raise throughout the duration of the contract.

The Spurs' offer begins at $6.3 million and includes the full $630,000 increase in the second and third seasons. However, the fourth year of the offer contains a limited raise of $100,000 and the fifth year has no increase.

Anderson's representatives also believe the Spurs' estimate of their salary-cap room may be too conservative. The Spurs won't know exactly how much they have to spend until the NBA releases the official cap figure either late tonight or Wednesday.

Anderson appears willing to hold off on agreeing to a deal until he makes sure the Spurs have no more room under the cap.

"I'm not frustrated," Anderson said by phone Monday evening from Louisville, Ky. "I said I wouldn't let this get to me and I haven't. If something gets done, it gets done. If it doesn't, it doesn't."

Spurs officials and Anderson's representatives also continued to explore sign-and-trade options. The Spurs appear willing to do such a deal if they can receive the right package of players in return.

If the Spurs don't like the sign-and-trade offers and still can't reach an agreement to re-sign Anderson, they likely will use their $6-plus million of cap room to sign multiple players. The team has targeted Washington free-agent guard Mitch Richmond and Miami free-agent forward Bruce Bowen, and would have enough money to sign both players.

The Los Angeles Lakers are interested in signing Richmond for the $1 million minimum. Richmond is expected to command a high salary after he received an immediate $5 million payment when Washington bought out his contract last month. Dallas and Miami also have expressed interest.

If the Spurs give all their available cap room to Anderson, they will be limited to the minimum-salary exceptions or trades to fill out the roster.

New Jersey free-agent swingman Stephen Jackson is expected to play for the Spurs' summer-league team in Utah next week and could become a candidate to help fill the small-forward position. Danny Ferry also said Monday he would like to return.

"I enjoyed the year I had there and I really hope things work out where I could come back," Ferry said by phone from Cleveland. "I still have to wait and see what happens when the dust settles with David (Robinson) and Derek."

Ferry said he has been contacted by a few teams, but wants to hear the Spurs' offer before he considers other options.

"If a team calls, I'll listen," Ferry said. "But I have nothing concrete to really look at with the Spurs right now. I'm obviously not in a huge rush, but I hope to have a better idea of things in a week or two."

AJ update: Avery Johnson spent Monday touring Denver with Nuggets officials and is close to agreeing to a deal.

Sources said Johnson could agree in principle to a three-year contract worth up to $14.4 million as soon as today.

"Avery would be a terrific addition to our team, if we can work out a deal that can get him here," Nuggets coach Dan Issel said. "He is a consummate professional. I can't imagine a player in our locker room that he can't make better because of his approach and his mental toughness. He would be a great fit with the players we have.

"We certainly want Avery here and he's given us every indication he wants to be here."

Probe ongoing: The NBA is continuing to investigate the Spurs' $1 million donation to the Carver Academy, a league spokesman said Monday.

Though the gift has been questioned because Robinson founded the school, one league source said the Spurs likely won't be penalized. The NBA is working on a list of procedures to govern such donations.

Summer league: Derrick Dial and Ira Newble each scored 19 points Monday as the Spurs opened the Shaw's Summer Pro League in Boston with an 83-73 loss to Atlanta.

jludden@express-news.net

07/17/2001

oh yeah. everything's going great in san antonio [​IMG]

they'll be MUCH better next year [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

[This message has been edited by Shandon Anversen (edited July 17, 2001).]

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Actually, 1.) The Spurs feel that Antonio Daniels can feel the role, and 2.) The summer isn't OVER yet! Even without Anderson I still see the Spurs as one of the Top 2 teams in the West. Nobody in the West has improved enough to fill that gap. Also, the Spurs could go for a cheap wing player to help fill the gap. In fact there seems to be some selective reading there:

The Spurs won't know exactly how much they have to spend until the NBA releases the official cap figure either late tonight or Wednesday.

Anderson appears willing to hold off on agreeing to a deal until he makes sure the Spurs have no more room under the cap.

"I'm not frustrated," Anderson said by phone Monday evening from Louisville, Ky. "I said I wouldn't let this get to me and I haven't. If something gets done, it gets done. If it doesn't, it doesn't."

Spurs officials and Anderson's representatives also continued to explore sign-and-trade options. The Spurs appear willing to do such a deal if they can receive the right package of players in return.

If the Spurs don't like the sign-and-trade offers and still can't reach an agreement to re-sign Anderson, they likely will use their $6-plus million of cap room to sign multiple players. The team has targeted Washington free-agent guard Mitch Richmond and Miami free-agent forward Bruce Bowen, and would have enough money to sign both players.

It sounds like the Spurs have a backup plan.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 17, 2001).]

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I CANNOT believe Denver is going to give Avery Johnson that much money! That is just crazy. Van Exel is already extremely overpaid as well...how much money will they tie up in the point guard spot?

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

SA should go after...SA (Shandon Anderson) IMO.

------------------

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

How about this way:

There is a rumor reported by one of the SA TV stations that Derek Anderson will be sent to Miami via a sign and trade that will have them receiving Eddie Jones and Bruce Bowen (free agent) in return. I'd say that would improve them.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

6. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Pat Riley has shot down all rumors concerning trading away Eddie Jones.

------------------
    Endtroduction..........

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Eddie Jones for Dereck Anderson? What a terrible deal for the Heat. That would never happen.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

8. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Usually the deals are lopsided in Riley's favor.

And Bruce Bowen and Mitch Richmond aren't much of a back-up plan.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

9. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Where is Tim Duncan in all this mess? Is he working behind the scenes recruiting DA and others? Is he telling Pop what he wants him to do? Or is he wondering why he didn't take the Magic job and counting the days till he can opt out?

Heeeyyyy,is there any chance the Rockets will be under the cap in 2003.......? Or is that Stevie's year to re-up?

------------------

10. Shandon Anversen

SA Rocket:

i wasn't going to bring that up, but i'm glad you did. i've been wondering that, myself, since the beginning. if tim is their leader, why has he not been vocal about ANYTHING???

we've seen our own leader (steve) and others step up when free agency hit their team. tim? well....

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

11. Shandon Anversen

The Cat:

notice every reported DA for EJones trade rumor you heard came from san antonio...NEVER from miami.

it doesn't make any sense at all for miami. plus, why would riles suddenly change from being a defensive minded coach to one who wants DA and Jaren Jackson - two players that don't play much (if any) defense at all? answer: he wouldn't.

they aren't even "riley"-type players.

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

12. Shandon Anversen

and with the cap being *probably* less than expected, the spurs might be FORCED to either lose DA or s&t him. but i wouldn't look to miami for that one.

richmond's going to the lakers, so forget that.

bowen sux. plain and simple. and if you're going to rely on him, you're in trouble.

shandn andersn sux, too. see: bowen, bruce or augmon, stacey.

the spurs are still in a precarious position, made even worse by the NBA v. Player's Union spat of this morning. if that cap comes in below 40 mill....

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

13. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

...looks like we won't find out what happens today.

Anyways, the Spurs have become disenchanted with DA ever since his proclamation that he should be getting a guaranteed 25 shots a game and the MAX...during the playoffs. Of course, this was after he failed to show versus Minnesota in the first round.

Antonio D was a pleasant surprise in the playoffs and yes, the Spurs want to make him a starter...if DA somehow returns, then most likely Pop (who promised AD he would start next season) will indeed swallow his criticisms of AD's point abilities and let him start at the 1.

Daniels and Anderson for 35 minutes a night in the Spurs' backcourt will help to improve the team's athleticism just a tad.

The main question is at the 3. A Bruce Bowen and Stephen Jackson, along with occasional cameos by Danny Ferry and Malik Rose, should give the Spurs what they need out of the 3.

------------------
    It's a cool site, this clutchcity.net

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If you could roll them into 1 player. Maybe the Spurs have some stock in some genetic reengineering firm where they can do it.

15. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Well, with Bowen you have a defender and spot up shooter...that works well with an ADDA backcourt and Duncan & Robinson up front.

SJackson would be the main sub off the bench.

Rose and Ferry would be limited to backing up the 4 and perhaps see some action at the 3.

If they can get Bowen and SJackson, they'll be fine at the 3. That's better than an Elliott with bad wheels and a Ferry with no wheels.

------------------
    It's a cool site, this clutchcity.net