1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

News from China: Yao pays $10 million for his NBA dream.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lovethisgametoo, Jun 23, 2002.

Tags:
  1. lovethisgametoo

2. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Here it is in English, errr sorta...

In basketball history unique £¡ -- Yao Ming Wei vainly hopes for pays 10000000 Dollar

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Http://sports.Sina.Com.Cn on June 23rd, 2002 11:45 Sports world weekly report

¡¡¡¡Yao bright broker association member £º Zhang Ming Ji - Yao Ming entrusts representative £¬ John - sea abdicates the standard - the Yao bright American perspective manager which obtains NBA the authentication (front to translate for Hu you Xin adds) £¬ Side phoenix younger sister - Yao Ming mother £¬ First national women's basketball center £¬ Land vast - Yao Ming China manager £¬ Has attained CBA to authenticate £¬ Wang Xiao Peng - Yao clearly hires attorney.

¡¡¡¡Reporter the Soviet group on June 22nd Shanghai reports in in the Shanghai East club absence situation £¬ The Yao Ming manager association "five person of groups" convened press conference £¬ in Shanghai; The complete content only has one speech £º "We already achieved with the Eastern club
    Consistent." But this speech behind has buried too many unknown truth £¬ Does not know has several people to be able the perspective true content.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ Whether discloses and Shanghai East team agreement detail £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ The sea abdicates standard £º I think the now is not discusses the detail time £¬ Our very happy now has such one agreement. This is Yao Ming Zhuan meets NBA to step out first step.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ Whether permits in you in the scope discloses some detail £¿ If negotiates the detail all cannot disclose £¬ Whether means this agreement is top-secret £¬ Or to time can let us be surprised £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ Land vast £º The sea abdicated standard doctor already to say £¬ a moment ago; We are very happy can achieve this agreement £¬ Now also is not discloses agreement concrete provision time. We are which and the risk altogether will take on achieve with the Eastern team's agreement according to the principle the Yao bright future profit share.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ We know the sports bureau must take away Yao bright 50% wages £¬ Then your this compensates the numeral includes in this 50% within £¿ Also has £¬ In that 50% inside £¬ Has 20% originally is for Shanghai Eastern team's £¬ Then this compensates whether the numeral does contain in this 20% within £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ The sea abdicates standard £º We the agreement which achieve with the Shanghai East club is the relative basket cooperates independently but.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ I know you inconveniently disclose you concretely give Shanghai the Eastern team one to compensate digital £¬ Whether but explains this is disposable compensates £¬ Or later no matter Yao Ming in NBA potency how many year £¬ The Shanghai team all must withdraw one proportion £¬ If has this kind of proportion £¬ Has big £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ The sea abdicates standard £º To me experiences says £¬ If both sides already achieved mutual recognition £¬ on one balance point; And both sides both have yield £¬ Then final both sides could think for opposite party too many £¬ We also inconveniently discuss to this agreement.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ You to final compensate the numeral to be able to use "satisfaction" to describe £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ The sea abdicates standard £º We very happy already achieved agreement £¬ We should continue in this foundation to proceed.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ As Yao bright mother £¬ You have paid very big painstaking care £¬ for he this more than 20 years growth; This and the Shanghai East team negotiates £¬ When you meet so have big one digital time £¬ Whether thinks very disappointed £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ Side phoenix younger sister £º Each guardian to own child can its painstaking care £¬ Therefore we do for Yao Ming all all are should. This time negotiates we is gradually is discussing £¬ Can have today this result £¬ I feel very happily.

¡¡¡¡[ Solution clearly read ] Yao to give the East team how much money £¬ This is until now biggest one riddle £¬ Perhaps forever can become one riddle. But understands £¬ according to reporter; The Eastern team proposed makes up the monetary award once to achieve 18000000 American dollar £¬ Afterwards reduced to 10000000 £¬ This means Yao Ming all must give the East in the NBA previous four year beautiful contract majority of wages team £¬ And still had is in debt £¬ But this all premises were the previous four years about 14000000 Dollar wages have one half have already given national physical culture commission £¬ In this 7000000 Dollar also has approximately 2800000 Dollar is gives out the Eastern team according to the plan. This also is the official negotiations long continues to reach half month long time main reason. Yao Ming makes the sacrifice is in the basketball history unique £¬ The promise ά´Ä base bought breaks the contract to pull out approximately 2000000 Dollar £¬ Observed card ÀûµÏ Si Zhi to use not to 300000 Dollar. The side phoenix younger sister replies £¬ with a smile; Actually the innermost feelings are bleeding.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ Now Yao Ming Fu America plays a ball game also is left over any barrier £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ The sea abdicates standard £º Now needs the Chinese basket to cooperate to the international basket association to write up one certificate to believe £¬ Expresses the Chinese government already agreed Yao was bright may go NBA to play a ball game. We always have with the Chinese basket association relate £¬ Progresses the line of discussion in this question. After now and the Shanghai team reaches the agreement we to hope this advancement can speed up.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ Is Yao Ming needs the sports bureau the authorization to be able NBA£¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ Land vast £º According to what I know the Shanghai sports bureau already authorized Yao Ming to participate NBA to elect Xiu. The national sports bureau is acting according to the basket tube center the opinion to do next step works £¬ I think very quick can have the result.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ You and the CBA negotiations focal point is any £¿ He attends the Asian Games to be able to affect NBA season £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ Zhang Ming Ji £º Whether does the basket tube center care about is Yao Ming guarantees the participation national sports team the competition. The Asian Games is carries on £¬ in October; Has not conflicted with the NBA convention match. But can affect before the season training battalion £¬ This need basket tube center and the Houston aspect coordinate £¬ Our standpoint is obeys the Chinese basket to cooperate to the Yao bright all arrangements.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ We all know Wang Zhi Zhi has not all participated in the calf team in the past two years before the summer league tournament and the season match £¬ Then Yao Ming meets every four years in later several years to meet one time of Asian Games £¬ Every four year one Olympic Games £¬ Also has the world brocade match and Asian brocade match £¬ Whether the Yao Ming progress can therefore receives affects £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ Yao Ming Wei national sports team potency is he and his family unsurpassed honorable £¬ In this point he is unconditionally obeys the Chinese national sports team to need. I believe to trains the aspect influence £¬ Needs with the basket tube center, Houston to consult £¬ But the premise is Yao clearly obeys the Chinese national sports team the need.

¡¡¡¡After [ solution reads ] the basket tube center most to worry without doubt is Yao clearly allies NBA to refuse to accept to control £¬ But the manager group makes so direct guarantee £¬ Is for guarantee Yao Ming Neng smoothly to land NBA£¬ This also is the manager group gains the national support the most effective way. By us to Yao bright individuality and quality understanding £¬ He in from now on will not be able to make any obstructs the national image motion £¬ He will be China one of in overseas brightest billboards. The above several questions and answers again have accidentally disclosed one conclusion £º Yao clearly allies the rocket team to be conclusive without doubt.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ In us in the middle of the process which contacts with the Shanghai East team £¬ The Eastern team once has expressed £¬ Yao Ming is is responsible £¬ in USA'S broker business by the Eastern team; At that time they were express question £¬ to Zhang Ming Ji status question; Whether now your status already did obtain the Eastern team confirmation £¿ Whether simultaneously obtains the rocket team confirmation £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ Zhang Ming Ji £º Yao Ming entrusts me and the sea abdicates standard professor to take his plenary powers agent £¬ I have not obtained NBA manager's authentication qualifications £¬ Also has not obtained authentication qualifications £¬ which the Chinese basket cooperates; But this certainly does not hinder me to be bright as Yao personally represents handles or is responsible his business £¬ In this question £¬ In order to satisfy all quarters request £¬ The sea abdicated standard professor already to obtain NBA the authentication qualifications. We also press request £¬ which the Chinese basket cooperates; Hired us to think extremely qualified manager Mr. Lu Hao took Yao Ming in the domestic manager. In manager qualifications aspect £¬ The best reply is £¬ I participated in all and the basket tube center and Eastern club negotiations £¬ But we also reached the agreement with the club. The basket tube center has not given any different comment in this point.

¡¡¡¡£¾ £¾ USA'S ever green company Zeng He Yao have clearly signed one three year contracts £¬ This acts the Yao Ming business with you to have direct conflict £¿

¡¡¡¡£¼ £¼ Wang Xiao Peng £º About ever green company's contract £¬ Eastern club General Manager Bai Li already expressed £¬ to us; He does not approve this contract. The ever green company's contract is £¬ which clearly signs with Yao; With our irrelevant £¬ I think this contract does not affect us to represent Yao to be bright. The NBA player trade union also reveals £¬ The ever green company's contract seriously encroaches upon player benefit £¬ Also cannot establish from the legal angle. This contract involves to Chinese and American both countries legal £¬ We have own viewpoint £¬ Even hired American attorneys the involution with to carry on the analysis. We think this contract seriously harms Yao Ming benefit £¬ At that time on has brought to completion £¬ Therefore today discusses again this contract is inappropriate. This question already no longer clearly constituted any barrier to Yao.

¡¡¡¡[ Solution reads ] the manager which constitutes by the above five people to roll the agreement which and the Shanghai East team achieves is historical £¬ But also hopes this agreement unique £¬ If from now on again will have Yao to be bright such "the national treasure level" the giant star to be born £¬ Its personal interest should join WTO along with China but even more to obtain the legal guarantee. Manager Lu Hao said £º after the press conference; "I hope this agreement not fine will arrive in later imitates £¬ We do not hope becomes in the Chinese sports industry development history criminal." News release £¬ sends out which according to them; This manager rolls the at present is free £¬ which clearly serves for Yao; One cent money does not receive.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

What did you get from that?

It sounds like he is going to be in debt. Nike bettercome through for him quick.

Translated: His younger sister is smiling on the outside but she's crying on the inside. But he doesn't have a sister. I don't know but I do know someone is sad because they feel Yao is getting screwed.

If anyone doubts his passion now. The guy is not playing for the money cause he's not getting nay he's playing for the love of the game. I hope somebody sticks this in Stevie's face.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Could someone do a slightly more American-ized translation. Those translators rock, but they still leave a lot to be desired. Thanks.

5. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

½â¶Á¡¿Ò¦Ã÷µ½µ×¸øÁ˶«·½¶Ó¶àÉÙÇ®£¬ÕâÊÇÆù½ñΪֹ×î´óµÄÒ»¸öÃÕ£¬Ò²ÐíÓÀÔ¶»á³ÉΪһ¸öÃÕ¡£µ«¾Ý¼ÇÕßÁ˽⣬¶«·½¶ÓÌá³öµÄ²¹³¥½ðÔø´ïµ½1800ÍòÃÀÔª£¬ºóÀ´½µÎª1000Íò£¬ÕâÒâζ×ÅÒ¦Ã÷ÔÚNBAÇ°ËÄÄêÐÂÐãºÏͬµÄ´ó²¿·Ö¹¤×ʶ¼Òª½»¸ø¶«·½¶Ó£¬²¢ÇÒÈÔÓп÷¿Õ£¬¶øÕâÒ»ÇеÄÇ°ÌáÊÇÇ°ËÄÄê´óÔ¼1400ÍòÃÀ½ðµÄ¹¤×ÊÓÐÒ»°ëÒѾ­½»¸øÁ˹ú¼ÒÌåί£¬Õâ700ÍòÃÀ½ðÖÐÓÖÓÐÔ¼280ÍòÃÀ½ð°´¼Æ»®ÊDz¦¸ø¶«·½¶ÓµÄ¡£ÕâÒ²ÊÇÕýʽ̸ÅгÖÐø³¤´ï°ë¸öÔÂÖ®¾ÃµÄÖ÷ÒªÔ­Òò¡£Ò¦Ã÷×÷³öµÄÎþÉüÊÇÀºÇòÊ·ÉϾøÎÞ½öÓеģ¬ÅµÎ¬´Ä»ùÂò¶ÏºÏͬÌÍÁËÔ¼200ÍòÃÀ½ð£¬²ì¿¨ÀûµÏ˹ֻÓÃÁ˲»µ½30ÍòÃÀ½ð¡£·½·ïæ·º¬Ð¦»Ø´ð£¬ÆäʵÄÚÐÄÔÚÁ÷Ѫ¡£

Translation:

So how much did Yao Ming give the Shanghai Sharks? Till now, it is still a mystery, and it might always be a mystery. But from the understanding of the interviewer, Shanghai Shark did once ask Yao Ming for up to 18 million US dollars, but has since tone down to 10 million. This meant that most of Yao Ming's salary in his four rookie seasons would be all handed to Shanghai Sharks, and this might still not be enough, because half our Yao Ming's expected 14 million 4 year rookie salary will need to be given to the national commity, and out of that 7 million, 2.8 million is already allocated to Shanghai Sharks. This is the main reason why the negoiation took more than half a month. Yao Ming's sacrifice is the first of its kind in the history of basketball. Notwiztki's contract cost him about 2 million US dollars, ²ì¿¨ÀûµÏ˹ only cost him less than $300,000 US dollars. Fung Fong Di has smiles on her face, but inside its really bleeding.

Its basically saying Yao will play NBA without getting any money from his salaries, as all would be going back to the Shanghai Sharks or the national commity, atleast in his first four years. In the interview with one of Shanghai Shark guys earlier, they were not willing to discuss whether their deal with Yao Ming extends beyond the initial 4 rookie years contract or throughout Yao Ming's NBA career.

You really have to feel for Yao for this one... he is REALLY playing for the love of this game, and not for money. It saddens me to hear this, I really hope he will make a big impact throughout his NBA career.

btw, Fung Fong Di is Yao Ming's mother.

-G'day-

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Ming will do a Wang Zhi-Zhi on china. I know the money isn't as important to him as it is other american players, but his endorsemnet deal will compensate him well. Hell probably get about 3 or 4 million a yr from a shoe company and some of the other endorsements will be availiable also.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nike will come through.

8. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Thats hope so too, because the article mentioned that his NBA salary might not be enough for him to pay both the Shanghai Sharks and the national commity...

Hell, the Sharks and the national commity might have even signed a contrat regarding their share of the pie when it comes to other endorsements Yao gets...

-G'day-

9. Miggidy Markell

Doesn't Yoa already have a contract with Nike?

10. Launch Pad

Launch Pad Contributing Member

I have no doubt that Yao will make a lot of money on endorsements, however, I can't imagine that the management of the Sharks were stupid enough to not negotiate to dip their greedy little hands into his endorsement money also.

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Ming will still make more money than 99.5% of all Americans. He will make more money than 99.99999% of all Chinese. Financially, he will be okay.

I do have some sympathy for him, but not for giving up a lot of his paycheck. The things I feel sorry for him about is trying to fit into airplane seats, buy clothes, walk under doors, never being able to drive a sports car, and always being stared at all the time. And of course, being so tall may result in health issues later in life.

And finally, needing a subpoena to get the ball from our guards.

12. micah1j

micah1j Member

Funny... I hope its not true though. ;)

13. Shark Rocket

Shark Rocket Member

No, Yao will pass ball with an angel's hand to our guards. :)

14. TRADECUTTINO

TRADECUTTINO Member

LOL. I hope so, just our two ball hogs (Cat and Francis) will not have such grace with the pass....... as they like to jack up plenty of shots : )

15. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Ok i give up trying to translate this simplied chinese crap. The links you are giving are from Beijing. Sina is a chinese paper but there are different areas (Different region cover different news, but usually wording might change), and I just scanned taiwan side and found two relevant articles.

http://news.sina.com.tw/newsCenter/sports/xinmin/2002/0623/10511233.html

This article can pretty much be summed as Houston Rockets have the first pick and worried if they pick Ming right now, he might not be able to come, then they wasted the pick. All is hinging on CBA release right now, and hopefully they will get it soon.

http://news.sina.com.tw/newsCenter/sports/xinmin/2002/0623/10511165.html

This is the article about the 10 million from Beijing side. Basically they reiteriated the article above that the Shanghai Sharks have reached an agreement with Yao and his representatives. The actual number we don't know because they people aren't talking. The only thing standing in the way now is CBA...yada yada we all knew this stuff already I know.

Now for the new stuff about the discussion between CBA and them. Nobody is talking either so we don't really know what is going on. But what is being rumored is Ming will have to pay some percentage yearly until he reaches $10 million total. Don't take this as final or anything, but remember these are just rumors since no one is talking.

Hope this helps.