1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[News] 3,000 gold diggers traped in mine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsinsider, Oct 3, 2007.

1. rocketsinsider

:eek: didn't know you could get that many people in a mine

but from the look of thing they should be fine

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071003/ap_on_re_af/south_africa_mine

3,000 workers trapped in S. Africa mine

By MICHELLE FAUL, Associated Press Writer 32 minutes ago

CARLETONVILLE, South Africa - Some 3,000 gold miners were trapped deep underground Wednesday when a burst water pipe apparently damaged the elevator shaft, but the company expected to get them out safely over the next 24 hours, officials said.
    ADVERTISEMENT

There were no reports of injuries at Harmony Gold Mining Compay's Elandsrand Mine outside Carletonville, located near Johannesburg.

Harmony's acting chief executive, Graham Briggs, said on MSNBC that managers were in contact with the trapped workers and had lowered food and water to them.

A union leader said the miners were hungry and thirsty and had been under ground for hours, some for nearly a day. He described them as fearful and said they were crowded together at an emergency assembly point.

Briggs said rescuers would evacuate the miners using a small cage to raise them up another shaft, but he stressed the process would be a slow one.

"It's a case of getting a large number of people up in cages," he told MSNBC, according to Dow Jones news service.

Briggs said the workers — the mine's entire morning shift — became trapped after damage to the elevator shaft made it unsafe to use.

"Nobody was injured, but there was extensive damage to the steel work and electrical feeder cords," Harmony Gold spokeswoman Amelia Soares told the South African Press Association.

Soares said some miners were making their way to shafts in an adjacent mine, owned by AngloAshanti.

Peter Bailey, national health and safety chairman for the miners union, said the miners were "very afraid" and were hungry and thirsty after being underground for such a long time.

"Some of these mineworkers started duty on Tuesday evening. It is now Wednesday night and they are still underground," he said at the scene.

A spokesman for the National Union of Mineworkers, Lesiba Seshoka, said managers were meeting with union members.

"It's a terrible situation," Seshoka told The Associated Press. "The only exit is blocked, probably by a fall of ground."

Union officials said a broken water pipe probably caused soil in the shaft to give way.

Seshoka said it wasn't clear how deep the miners were underground, but gold mine tunnels in South Africa are typically about 1 1/2 miles below the service.

The union worried that the men could run short of oxygen because of collapsed ground or be impeded by rock falls and mudslides caused the burst water pipe.

Seshoka charged that the mine's shafts were not properly maintained. "Our guys there tell us that they have raised concerns about the whole issue of maintenance of shafts with the mine (managers) but they have not been attended to," he said.

Last year, 199 mineworkers died in accidents, mostly rock falls, the government Mine Health and Safety Council reported in September.

2. Fatty FatBastard

Somewhere, Kanye West is smiling.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I thought we were talking about chicks who go after guys with money. That would have been much better to trap them in a mine.

4. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

lmao exactly what i thought at the title lololol. i think it should say MINERS not DIGGERS
    lmao

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Unfortunately, my ex wife is not in South Africa.

7. rocketsinsider

think about it this way, would you have clicked it if it was just
    3000 miners trapped in mine? :p

8. tulexan

tulexan Member

Speaking of Gold diggers...

THIS APPEARED ON CRAIG'S LIST

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, I'm tired of beating around the bush. I'm a beautiful (spectacularly
    beautiful) 25 year old girl. I'm articulate and classy.
    I'm not from New York. I'm looking to get married to a guy who makes at least half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I don't think I'm overreaching at all.

Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a business man who makes average around 200 - 250. But that's where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000 won't get me to central park west. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and she's not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?

Here are my questions specifically:

- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms

-What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you won't hurt my feelings

-Is there an age range I should be targeting (I'm 25)?

- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the upper east side so plain? I've seen really 'plain jane' boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. I've seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the east village. What's the story there?

- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows - lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out?
    Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?

- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY

Please hold your insults - I'm putting myself out there in an honest way.
    Most beautiful women are superficial; at least I'm being up front about it.
    I wouldn't be searching for these kind of guys if I wasn't able to match them - in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
    PostingID: 432279810

THE ANSWER

Dear Pers-431649184:
    I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament.

Firstly, I'm not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said here's how I see it.

Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Here's why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But here's the rub, your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity...in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you won't be getting any more beautiful!

So, in economic terms you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates!

Let me explain, you're 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By
    35 stick a fork in you!

So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold...hence the rub...marriage. It doesn't make good business sense to "buy you" (which is what you're asking) so I'd rather lease. In case you think I'm being cruel, I would say the following. If my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. It's as simple as that.
    So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.

Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as "articulate, classy and spectacularly beautiful"
    as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe that if you are as gorgeous as you say you are that the $500K hasn't found you, if not only for a tryout.

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldn't need to have this difficult conversation.
    With all that said, I must say you're going about it the right way.
    Classic "pump and dump."

I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

LOL, got that in an email today from a friend of mine. Thats some good stuff right there.

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

LOL

that is CLASSIC humor!

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Very good.

12. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Pure genius.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I just wished that moestavern19 would answer that Craig's list chick 'cuz I sure ain't got the wits.

Men, we totally derailed these sad news about b*tches looking for rich guys. :(

#13 SwoLy-D, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2007