1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Newley may stay

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotrock?, Jul 17, 2007.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Well that's good. Do you know what league or team he will be on? Whatever it is it sounds like it will be a talent upgrade. It would be pointless for him to move into a lateral league from his own.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I think this was posted last month. Same misleading title and everything.

3. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I remember him from international ball and thought he at least would be a decent NBA sub. Think a better version of Eddie House. Instead he could barely make any rosters at all. Real wake up call for me in assuming from any international game performances that these guys can automatically make it in the NBA. Jasikevicius and Spanoulis are only more recent glaring examples to turn international performances into contracts they never should have gotten.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Heal was a 6-0, unathletic, shooting guard.

5. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

That is exactly why I brought up Eddie House.

6. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

Article from The Advertiser written by Botinagy
    article link

whoa...Newley was NBL Rookie of the Year, Sixth Man of the Year and MVP of the All Star game all in one year (2005)!!!! Does anyone know what happened in 2006?

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Newley's headed to Greece.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22252423-12428,00.html

8. BBall Scientist

Yep confirmed by the team itself.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...ckets_draft_pick_newley_signs_with_panionios/

ULEB Cup -
    Panionios have announced the signing of Australian swingman Brad Newley, who was a second round pick of the Houston Rockets in the 2007 NBA Draft.

Newley, one of the rising stars of Australian basketball, will be playing overseas for the first time. He arrives from the Townsville Crocodiles of the Australian NBL, where he averaged 22.4 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 33 games last season. [READ]

BTW, this is a league BELOW the one Spanoulis plays in/played in. So since he's regarded as pure "crap" by 90 percent of the people here, I guess 90 percent should forget about Newley permanently then.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

I think most people realize he won't be ready for awhile, and we don't need him for awhile, and will just let him develop. I don't think anyone thinks he's pure crap.

10. BBall Scientist

Since he plays for a weak Greek league team, while Spanoulis plays for the best, since he plays in ULEBCup, a whole league below Euroleague and not even on that good a ULEBCup team, while Spanoulis plays in a whole league above it, the Euroleague and on the best team in the Euroleague, and since 90 percent of the fans believe Spanoulis is pure crap then............

How would Newley not be considered pure crap here then by that 90 percent?

ULEBCup is like NBDL to Euroleague, so is the NBDL version of Spanoulis not pure crap when again 90- percent of fans here believe the NBA version of Spanoulis is pure crap?

Or is this just some imaginary double standard here?

11. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

There are plenty of NBA players that are "crap".

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

which double standard, you mean the one about working hard to get playing time and improve?? or the one about expecting things to be handed to you on a platter??? or the one about talking to the media about you concerns and problems rather than management and then coach?? or the one about running away and leaving the team???

Newley may or may not make the rockets, but he is certainly nothing like VSpan in this regard...

plus of course he is not European and has no playing reputation in europe, so in the cut throat world of imports in Europe it really isn't surprising he has to start with a lower team

#32 SmeggySmeg, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  13. BBall Scientist

I guess we will see if there's a double standard if fans here start praising him for having less success than Spanoulis while playing in a weaker league and "anticipating" how we will "help" the Rockets in the NBA.

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

not at all, no double standards on my part, VSpan can certainly play in the NBA but has decided to go home rather than stick at it and get better, Drazen didn't run away and go home when he was stuck at the end of the Portland bench, he worked harder and become an NBA star, Beno Udrih didn't leave when Pop nailed him to the bench.....

Newley is a completely different case, he has played well at junior international level and excelled in the Australian National League, but Europe is number 2 and he is yet to prove himself there, he is pursing his dream of making the NBA by leaving his home (Australia) to move to Greece to get better, while sort of ironic it is completely different. Even though I come from the same town as Newley and seen him play as a kid, I have my doubts if can make the NBA, he might, he might not, but at least he is giving up, he is working to get better and if he doesn't make he won't be he choice.

Vspan could play in the NBA, but has chosen to depart and head home to play and better yiros' and baklava. It is his choice to go and turn away from the challenge.