1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

newest Yao Ming interview (7/7/02)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lovethisgametoo, Jul 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. lovethisgametoo

2. lovethisgametoo

According to the interviewer, this interview happened yesterday.

A pretty lengthy one, but not a lot of new stuff. Something I find interesting:

1. Ask: NBA seems to have a rule that veterans like to give rookies hard time. Are you prepared for this?

Answer: doesn't it happen in CBA, too?

2. Ask: your English is very good.

Answer: don't put such a big label on me. Yes we had foreign players (american) in Shanghai sharks and we learned from each other. But my English has a long shot to go.

Ask: then is language the biggest barrier to play NBA?

Answer: I think so. But language like english is not an acdemic goal for me but only a tool. playing basketball is kind of different story.

3. Ask: you were pick the first in the draft and how do you think this will influence your national team teammates.

Answer: I don't know. But I envied Wang Zhizhi when he made NBA that year.

4. Ask: your idol?

Answer: no perfect idol exists fro me because I am a perfectionist. Barkley has gone an uneasy way and I respect him a lot. Olajuwan is good and his center skill is my goal. This is what I think at this minute.

3. Panda

Panda Member

Some key points in that article. Pardon the bad translation:

Yao thinks that English is the biggest barrier for him to play in the NBA. He expects 5-6 years of adjustment before playing with ease. He started watching the NBA games in 1994, and had thoughts on playing in the NBA in 1998. That year he played in the USA, and found out he was no worse than the young players there.

Yao also commented on the lack of chemistry in the Chinese national team. He implied that the reason he has better chemistry with another particular guard is that guard played with him in the Sharks, and therefore is used to give him the "cannon ball".

He also admires the fire in Barkley and the skills of Olajuwon.

The thing he wants to tell the fans is:" Challenge doesn't assure success, but giving up assures failure."

4. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Having been ripped by Barkley on national TV, Ming shows a lot of class by saying he still respects him.

5. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

not sure if its the translater being kind or what, but yao ming sounds really smart. he's my favourite rocket so far.

6. lovethisgametoo

just to show my new signiture.......

7. outlaw

outlaw Member

I think I had a fortune cookie that said that once

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This guy could make the All Interview team without speaking a word of english. Some of these quotes are pretty thought-provoking, and when's the last time you've heard "thought-provoking" and "NBA" in the same conversation?

...never.

9. Miggidy Markell

What was it exactly that Charles said about Yoa?

10. clarence lui

clarence lui Member

If I may, the original Q&A went like this:

Q: To a lot of basketball fans, you're their idol. Anything to say to them here?

Yao: I'd tell them this - I saw inside a gym when I went to Taiwan for a basketball tournament in 1998:

"Trying hard does not promise success, but giving up guarantees failure."

He did not come up with it himself, but he surely did use it very well! Like CD & RT said before, people and media here will love him.

#10 clarence lui, Jul 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2002
  11. fromobile

fromobile Contributing Member

yeah yeah yeah yeah ....what did charles say?????

12. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I remember Chuck saying he didn't think Ming should have been the # 1 pick, that it will take him 3 years to have an impact, that he hopes he does well, and that a lot of people are gonna be looking to make a lot of money off of him and that he hoped that kind of stress didn't mess him up. Yeah, Barkley's an ass, how could he totally dis Ming like that.:rolleyes:

13. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

How is that "ripping" Ming? He just said exactly what everyone else said about him. He will take a couple of seasons and how could you not worry about the guy getting ripped off financially, hell he has already lost half his salary to the Reds

14. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

You're guzzling the homer hooch like theres no tomorrow... :D