1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWB] PC BUILD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Yep i ran msinfo32, and in the column it shows as 3602 now. Is it safe for me to go into device manager and try and auto search the internet for driver updates again?

2. jchu14

jchu14 Member

Don't bother. Asus does not officially support Windows 10 on P67 chipset. See list here: http://www.asus.com/microsite/mb/Windows_10/,

Windows drivers search will only contain official WHQL approved drivers. It won't find something that's approved. So I think it's confused when you try to update through Windows. I say try to download and install Windows 7 chipset drivers. If it doesn't let you, just leave it be. You should still be able to use the new video card without updated chipset drivers.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Oh, i see. Will this model eventually be Win 10 ready?

4. jchu14

jchu14 Member

I doubt it'll ever be officially supported. Since you don't have any issues right now, I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

6. jchu14

jchu14 Member

Also, in terms of noise, your worst offender is the fan that's spinning at over 4000rpm labeled 'Powerfan' in hwmonitor. Your temperature is fine right now so you can decrease fan speed to decrease noise. Your system has the potential to be decently quiet. The Lanboy case has a built in fan controller knob that controls the front 2 fans, so you can play with that.

My guess is that the 'Powerfan' is the fan in the back and it's connected to the motheboard. Ideally, the fan speed could be controlled by the motherboard. So go into the BIOS and see if there are any settings for fans or temperature. I think in Asus mobos, it's call 'Q-fan' and it's probably under hardware monitor something. You should be able to have the mobo automatically vary the fan speed of any fans that's connected to the mobo based on chasis temperature reading and/or cpu temperature readings. Look in the motherboard's manual if you can't find it.

7. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

No, your temperatures are very good.

PC Temperatures are usually measured in Celsius, not Fahrenheit. So the numbers I am going to enter are in Celsius and I will show below the method I utilized to convert F° to C°.

To Convert F° to C°, the formula used is:
    ( _F° - 32) x (5/9) = _C°

Example: 98.6° F
    (98.6° - 32) = 66.6 x (5/9) = 37° C

The Nuvoton NCT6776F CPU and Auxiliary "Value" Temps are both at 33° C, while the Mobo (both Value and Max) are set at 26° C. The CPU "Max" Temp is at 37° C, and the Auxiliary is at 33.5° C.

When looking at your i5-2600K CPU "Value" Temps, the Core Temps are all at 32° C and a CPU Package "Value" of 33° C.

The i5-2600K CPU "Max" Temps are very good as well. Cores 1 and 2, as well as the CPU Package "Max" Temp is sitting at 41° C. Core 3 is sitting at 35° C; and Core 4 is set at 38° C.

The fact that you have your CPU overclocked to 4.2 GHz (4200 MHz in your posted image) and running it at 1.288 Volts and having those kind of temperatures is very good, especially considering how long you've had this setup.

TLDR Version: Your Temps are very good and nowhere near the point of "thermal throttling".

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Wow never noticed the 2 little fan knobs in the front, that makes a big difference with noise when i turn it all the way down.

Anyway i tried updating stuff in device manager, there was a bunch of stuff that downladed and installed drivers. I restarted the computer and it brought me back to the screen that says i need to install the same bios version again
    [​IMG]

I'm going to go ahead and do what it tells me.

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

That's great news Nick! Thanks!

10. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Forgot to mention, the term "thermal throttling" means the CPU is running so hot that it will slow itself down (even if the CPU is overclocked) so the excess heat can be removed.

Normally thermal throttling with your i5-2500K (accidentally put i5-2600K in my previous post; sorry about that) occurs if the CPU temp is around 95° C, so your PC is absolutely nowhere near that limit.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

Just finished reinstalling the BIOS version again like it told me to and my pc restarted normally straight to windows.

So temps are good.
    Got got the right pin connections i need to power up my new GPU

Now i wait for it to arrive.

Thanks a lot to all of you gents!

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

man..so i was curious about Nick talking about im overclocked at 4.2ghz and i didn't know that so i went back to look and now it says 3612mhz if i am looking at the right place under CPU core....

Did the BIOS update reset to default settings?

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LXOaCkbt4lI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

EVGA cards come with a free 3 year warranty right? I don't have to purchase the extra warranty newegg is offering?

15. jchu14

jchu14 Member

yep. No need to buy extra warranty.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

I usually leave my PC on all day and night so i am used to seeing the blue lights on my PC. So i woke around 1AM feeling the effects of Mexican food and when i was done and came back to my room, i realized my room smelled as if something was burning and i also noticed my computer was off. I was so pissed assuming the worst but went to bed to sleep it off. Just got a chance to come home and try and power on the PC. Nothing.

So after a few months of enjoying my new GTX 970, my computer will not power on. No lights anywhere. I've unplugged the cord,etc and nothing works. Not receiving any power.

Someone please tell me good news. Is it an easy fix? Is it the power supply and everything else is safe and should function? If i need to buy a new power supply, which is the best for my set up and how can i be sure that everything else i have will be fine?

17. Uprising

Uprising Member

Swap out the power supply and see if that fixes the issue.

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

So i have no choice but to buy a new power supply just to trouble shoot and there is still a large chance it doesn't work?

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

What size power supply should i get if 700 watts wasn't enough? 850? 1000?

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

Yeah like I said earlier in the thread people cheap out on power supplies. When they fail they can take other parts with them. Get a good one this time and use it for the next dozen years.