1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWB] PC BUILD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Nov 30, 2013.

1. what

what Member

Just make your you buy the card from newegg or a place with a good return policy. Then if it doesn't work you aren't out the money.

Also, I believe that your bios also has to be compatible and not just the specs on the video card slot. Which is what I think caused mine not to work.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Hillboy has no idea what he is talking about. He called 1155 a chipset, the chipset is P67, 1155 is the socket all i5 2500k uses. Your MB isn't PCIe 3.0 (even if it is B3), you shouldn't care, and that is just the beginning of why I said to not read his post.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

So. It's simple. I simply upgrade to a new GPU like the 970 and be fine playing new games on high? I don't need a CPU and or motherboard upgrade, none of that? I know it would be nice, but i only want to know if it's necessary and how long from now til im due for a motherboard and CPU upgrade?

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You're going to want to upgrade your Mobo/CPU in about 3-4 years. Its ok for now. Moore's law has hit a barrier, so CPUs aren't going to get that much better unless they come up with something innovative.

The 970 should absolutely work and will continue to run games on high/very high on 1080p for a good while.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Syndicate is hardcore. Curb your expectations. I have Skylake because I like new stuff but a CPU upgrade would be a horrible upgrade for your money right now to just improve frames.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

This is great gentleman. Thank you very much. I'll purchase the 970. Though i would have liked to keep the budget low enough to still buy the Nvidia Shield. But if the 970 is much better than the 960, i understand.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

When the graphics card broke in my ancient computer (with Intel i7 920) a year or so ago, I replaced it with a latest-generation video card, though rather low-power one in nVidia's GTX 750. Didn't cause any problems at all.

Right now, I do a little bit of gaming on this machine-- not a big first-person shooter guy so I runs the kind of stuff I play (Starcraft II) well enough. I will probably upgrade at some point. Figure I'd just build a whole new system at that time, maybe a small form factor one with mini-ITX board.

Question: What is wrong with the "blower" style graphics card?

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sounds like you and I are in a similar boat, Carl. I'm a Starcraft fanatic, I guess. When I finally get a new PC, I'll probably keep the GTX 960 and the good power supply I parked in the damn thing a couple of years ago, and maybe give my current setup to a friend who could use a computer. Any kind of computer. Stick my old graphics card and power supply back into it and tell him to go to town. He's a Rice grad I play trivia with. Brilliant, a great guy, but drinks too much. He's working as a cook at an Austin eatery. What a waste!

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, when a person go to a college named after a food item, it's not surprising that he gets into cooking.

But yes, as someone else mentioned, desktop computer speed has grown relatively slowly over the last 5 years (it's all about mobile tech nowadays). So for light uses like web-browsing, email, watching videos and word processing, a computer with a first generation Intel Core processor would work well enough.

My parents still use their old cheap HP desktop with Intel Core i3 530. It runs everything they need very fast once I help them put an SSD and a $20 graphics card (Radeon HD 3600 with 256 mb of RAM) in it.

Kids nowadays don't know what we went through back in the days where a 3-4 year old computer was positively ancient and almost unusable.

BTW, I just bought one of these $99 Kangaroo PCs. Want to see what I can do with it for teaching a high school math class:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5ftwY6s4WQ8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#109 Carl Herrera, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. magman

magman Member

A 970 will work with your system no problem.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2401508/gtx-970-compatible-asus-p8p67-mobo.html

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Dunno, but I've been playing Fallout 4, Witcher 3 and Alien Isolation fine.

I was surprised at how large the card was though. Barely fit in my case.

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Good find, I've also personally put a 970 in this mobo np, I did run into issues on a z68 board but it was fixed with bios update..

Anyway Caesar - a 970 should run everything perfectly at high settings and be a huge difference from 570... I personally went from a 570 - 660 - 970 and even there saw a huge difference (however I run games at 1440p)... I'm waiting until new flagship from nvidia before upgrading again and got great deals on 660 and 970..for you being at 570 I'd have upgraded last year, hehe, it'll be huge difference and better than upgrading 2500k. Only other significant upgrade would be an SSD.

I only recently got a basically free upgrade to 4790k and I don't notice much real world difference from gaming on 2500k.

Also running at gen 2 pci vs gen 3 pci doesn't mean much in real world performance (not yet at least). I have a feeling it'll be another 2 gpu gens before it matters. I've only seen one benchmark and it was someone running 4 gpu's in a res above 4k... So for everyone else running games at 2560x1600 or lower resolution (probably 1080p for most) you'd need Fraps or something to even realize the 0.1-2% improvement from gen 2 to 3. I mean sometimes it's literally a fraction of a point improvement on fps... LOL, I'm too lazy to throw up sources but just Google 970 2.0 3.0 and you'll see... Heck there's a better card than 970 running 2.0 and not seeing any difference at 3.0 at normal res.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Okay, i've got to open up the case and look and see if my power supply has the proper 6 or 8 pin connections. I don't know how that works, if it doesn't, does it mean i have to get a whole new power supply?

Also. If i am going to buy the 970, i've decided on the EVGA from New Egg but i don't know which one to select. There's like 9 different versions to select from. GTX 970 FTW+2.0+, 970sc, 970sc acx 2.0,970 supersc acx 2.0+ How do i decide?

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

SC is conservatively overclocked.
    ACX is the nonstock fan they use.
    SuperSC is clocked higher.
    FTW is clocked highest.

15. Caesar

Caesar Member

And which clocking selection should i make based on my set up?

16. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

recently built one myself with:

gtx 970 acx 2.0
    i5-6400
    8gb of ram atm since other 8 gb stick was DoA
    asrock z170 extreme4
    250gb samsung ssd

Have had no major issue playing ultra on witcher 3 minus hairworks. Though i had my budget set at 1k, i ended up at 1200 due to accessories.

17. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

You need a 6pin and an 8pin (or 6+2pin) PCI-E power connector for the 970. They should look like this: http://i.imgur.com/7GRoNic.jpg You'll need BOTH.

You should already have a 6pin plugged into your current video card. So you're set for that one.

However, from that amazon link of your power supply you posted, your power supply's 6+2 cable is modular. Modular means that the cable is detachable from the power supply. So hopefully the previous owner kept it inside the case and i's already connected to the power supply but not connected to a card, or he gave you the cable separately and you haven't lost it.

If you can't find the modular 6+2 cable, there is still hope. If you have 2 4pin molex power connector, then you can get an dual 4-pin molex to pciexpress 8 pin adapter:

So double check that before you order your video card.

Here are a couple more things to check:

1) Make sure the card fits your case. These video cards can be very long and sometimes you run into compatibility problems of it hitting your hard drive or fans. If you're not sure, go ahead and post what case you have (or a picture). Better yet, just take a tape measure and measure how much room you have.

2) Do you have good case ventilation? You'll need to be able to properly exhaust the heat out of your case. You may want to add or change a case fan if necessary.

3) Do update your BIOS and chipset drivers before you put in the card. There is NO reason why there would be incompatibility, but updating drivers wouldn't hurt.

EDIT: I just realized that you said you're currently running a GTX 570. There should be two 6pin power connectors to the GTX 570. Just double check that one of the 6pin power connector has an extra 2-pin dangling to the side. So you should be fine. You shouldn't have issues with thermal and case clearance either. GTX 570 and GTX 970 are pretty similar in power draw and size.

#117 jchu14, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  18. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Also, how is your monitor connected to your computer right now? Common ones are VGA, DVI, HDMI, or DisplayPort. Make sure you have the proper output out of the video card. Most cards have all of them, but always good to double check.

As for which 'version' of the card to get, I would get the one that's middle of the pack or the cheaper one. I think you might be CPU limited in some cases, then the higher speed card won't help you. Also, most of the time you can overclock the lower speed card to improve performance if you want a little boost.

I would compare features other than clock speed when you try to decide. Sometimes the more expensive card could be worth it for other reasons such as:
    -better cooling system (dual fan vs single fan, copper heatsink with heatpipes vs only aluminum). Personally I would definitely spend more for a dual fan card for better cooling and quietness.
    -better warranty
    -more memory
    -more video output options

1 person likes this.
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

Ok.
    So i use my LED TV as a monitor via mini hdmi to hdmi into my A/V Receiver. I never play keyboard and mouse games. Use 360 controller for gaming.

I've opened er up and i am in luck. I have 1 6 pin and 1 6+2 pin. So happy when i saw that. Also looks like i have plenty of room. I took out the wifi card bc it was garbage and i prefer wired connection. I also just recently gave my sound card to my dad bc i assume i don't need it if i use HDMI from the gpu for audio. (please do correct me on this as listening to FLAC music and movies on my pc is equally as important as gaming and i want the best possible way to send audio to my AVR 7.2 channel system) When i put the new GPU in, i put it in the same exact slot the 570 is placed in correct?

[​IMG]

This is my case: Lanboy:
    http://www.amazon.com/antec-lanboy-air-computer-modular/dp/b003wmx3sy

I have 1 fan in the back and 2 in the front, but i don't know why i don't have the 2 on the side like in the photo. Should i buy 2 fans for the side like the photo? It is completely ventilated as you see though it's next to an AV Receiver, a tv and 2 large Klipsch towers so i don't know how hot everything gets all bunched together. They are in front of a window so as to keep the heat and cold next to each other during the winter months and then in the warm and hot months i move everything to the side wall away from the window.

20. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Yes. Put it into your PCI express. What card did you get? If a newer NVidia, you're going to love the efficiency of the cards....no longer an oven.

I was getting rid of parts I had sitting around. Just sold a x99s SLI plus motherboard and 2 of that exact card you have. The good old 570's.

Trying to decide whether or not to revive my old PC (I7-860 8gb DDR3 evga p55 board)....just for ****s and giggles.

My current system is an I7 on X99 platform (2011v3) 16gb DDR4 EVGA ftw+ 970gtx.... nothing special.