1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWB] PC BUILD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Also how do i know which is not a "blower" whatever that means?

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Ok great. I understand now, blower is fan in the back. Got it.

I have 1 6 or 8pin(I have to check again) plugged into my GTX 570. What if I need 2? I just add an adapter or something?

4. Caesar

Caesar Member

Also wanted to ask if used ones for sale on Ebay would be a stupid or okay decision? Always buy new with these things?

5. Bandwagoner

970 will need two power connections. 2x6 or 1x6 plus 1x8. If you don't have then get a new high quality PSU. People always cheap out on them, hopefully you have a good one.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

7. what

what Member

I'm just going to put this out there Cesar, just because a card fits the board, doesn't mean that it is going to be compatible with your system.

If I were you I would just keep what you have. I have a p67 and when my card went bad, I got a replacement from the same company, but since it was a newer card it would not even boot up.

You can pretty much bank on the fact that if you are looking at a new card for a system that is a year old or more you, it probably ain't going to work.

8. Bandwagoner

[​IMG]

9. what

what Member

He's trying to add a 2014 video card into a 2011 motherboard. I can guarantee you that it is not going to work. Mark my words.

Better get a good return policy.

10. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I've got an EVGA 770 4GB and I've been running everything on ultra with ease.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130945

11. Bandwagoner

Yeah. Your are insane. I think it's great though.

Back in reality Sandy Bridge was a test bed for most reviewers for several years on GPU benchmarks.

12. what

what Member

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Who to trust? what has me afraid now...PS4? :/

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Can you run Assassins Creed Syndicate on ULTRA or High? I've actually been alright with all the latest games on my 570 with medium or high settings until i played Syndicate and even at it's lowest settings, i struggle to run it and it says i don't have enough Dedicated Video RAM. Minimum is 2GB, but my GPU is supposed to be 4gb so i dont understand.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My rule of thumb is to get a video card based on what tasks you want it to perform. If all you want is routine activities such as web browsing, document editing, etc. then a top of the line video card is overkill. However, if you are trying to build a gaming platform or 3D CAD platform or video editing/creation platform, then you'll need a more robust video card.

Be advised that should you get one of those top NVidia cards, your motherboard's PCI slot will have to be able to support the latest PCI 3.0 standard. The board you listed - P8P67 EVO - should work if it's the Rev 3.0 using the Intel 1155 chipset. Your CPU is sort of OK given that it has 4 cores and all although I'd recommend an I7 for gaming purposes. 12GB is on the low side - I'd suggest 16GB as a minimum amount with 32GB as the desired amount. Should you buy a PS4, you are locked into that hardware platform until it becomes obsolete. With a home-built system, you gain the flexibility to upgrade memory, storage, video and even motherboard/CPU components to increase performance as circumstances dictate.

I build all of my desktop systems and as long as you carefully match the video, memory and power supply to the motherboard & CPU specs then you should be fine. The biggest issue is heat dissipation so be sure to include as much ventilation as possible (120mm fans if possible on top, front and side) in the case.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I recently put a new GeForce GTX 960 in an ancient Intel PC getting its last upgrade. No problem at all. The cards tend to be backwards compatible. While it won't give me the upgrade that I'd receive if I put it in a motherboard with the latest PCIe 3.0 x16, it works fine in my old PCIe 2.0 x16 slot. Solid as a rock and a definite upgrade in performance. If I were replacing the damn PC, I'd get at least a GeForce GTX 970, a much more powerful card, but this should do me for another year or two. Not sure what what was talking about.

17. Bandwagoner

It's almost as if what has no idea wtf he is talking about

Literally don't read any of this

18. what

what Member

we'll see wont we.

maybe you go explain to the guy in that link I posted why he is an idiot because his new video card won't post. or go call the nvida customer support team that couldn't get my video card replacement to work that you know more than him and that he's an idiot.

all i was trying to do was to explain MY experience with it. You can disregard it if you want to.

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

So i don't know if my motherboard has REV 3.0, a google of that model says it does i guess.

Will these specs help? Will photos of my pc help?

[​IMG]

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

Hopefully not at my expense. I'm asking as many questions as possible to be absolutely sure.