1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New York Times: Hillary Clinton illegally used private email for all State Dept. business

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Mar 2, 2015.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Earnest: Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton corresponded via her personal email
    By KENDALL BREITMAN 3/9/15

President Barack Obama communicated via email with Hillary Clinton while she used her personal email, according to the White House.

In a press briefing on Monday, White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said that Obama did correspond with his secretary of state via her private email address.

“The president, as I think many people expected, did over the course of his first several years in office trade emails with his secretary of state,” Earnest said. “I would not describe the number of emails as large, but they did have the occasion to email each other.”

Earnest’s admission comes after Obama said on CBS on Saturday that he learned about Clinton’s use of a private email and server “the same time everybody else learned it, through news reports.” According to Earnest, this comment should not be assumed to mean that Obama and Clinton never emailed back and forth.

“The point that the president was making is not that he didn’t know Secretary Clinton’s email address, he did,” Earnest said. “But he was not aware of the details of how that email address and that server had been set up or how Secretary Clinton and her team were planning to comply with the Federal Records Act.”

When pressed on whether Obama was aware that Clinton was conducting business over her private email, Earnest responded, “the point is the president did email with Secretary Clinton. I assume that he recognized the email address that he was emailing back to,” before saying that the important issue is whether she complied with the Federal Records Act.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/obama-hillary-clinton-personal-email-115899.html#ixzz3Tz5nbMLR

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

In email, there is no having the only copy unless you write to yourself.

3. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I think I'm going to setup a private email server for my work emails. Sounds like such a good idea (if you want to hide illegal activities.)

Maybe Lois Lerner should have taken some notes from Killary... instead of the whole "all of our pc's crashed simultaneously and emails got lost but then were found when people didn't buy it" excuse

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

And not be able to communicate with your co-workers. Great idea.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

6. basso

Supporting Member

even then there are two copies. the one you sent, and the one you received.

7. bigtexxx

lol a "matter of convenience"

horrible excuse

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's actually a very good reason (who want to carry around 2 devices?) except for the fact that a single device can handle multiple email addresses. Unless it's policy that no other addresses can be used with your phone when using .gov email server.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Convenience is not a good excuse for disobeying security protocol. Especially with her job.

http://acecomments.mu.nu/?post=355440

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

The law is very clear, dates back to the fifties and was revised in the Clinton administration. She broke it. And nothing will happen, because the laws apparently don't apply to the political aristocracy, just normal people like us. The practices of King George pale in comparison to the contemporary political arrogance.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hyperbolic, much?

12. basso

Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yswuleqFIGk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Major

Major Member

What exactly does the law require?

As far as her press conference, I think she's boxed herself in pretty well. She stated that all correspondence even remotely connected to government has been provided to the State Department, and I believe the State Dept has said all the emails will be released in a few months. So all it takes is one person who received a work-related email from her to prove her a liar. That person that can do that at the time of their choosing (ie, Fall 2016) whenever they want to make it a controversy again.

If she's lying, she's basically put herself in a position to be destroyed by anyone who has one of these emails. Conservatives should be thrilled.

14. treeman

treeman Member

Convenience? Two weeks ago Clinton said she had both iPhone and Blackberry

After avoiding questions for the past week about her reliance on a private email system during her time as secretary of state, Hillary Clinton finally came up with an explanation.

Clinton argued that the reason why she maintained a private server for her email was merely about "convenience" because she didn't want to carry around two devices when she traveled — one for work email, one for personal email.

But on Feb. 24, in a question and answer session at a Silicon Valley event, Hillary Clinton was asked by Kara Swisher, "iPhone or Android?" and responded "iPhone," before pausing and then adding, "In full disclosure ... and a Blackberry."

A video of the answer, flagged by GOP opposition research firm America Rising, is from theWatermark Silicon Valley Conference for Women, cuts off after 18 seconds.

But the full video is even worse for Clinton.

In it, she elaborates: "There are reasons when you start out in Washington on a Blackberry you stay on it in many instances. But it's also — I don't know, I don't throw anything away. I'm like two steps short of a hoarder. So I have an iPad, a mini iPad, an iPhone and a Blackberry."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2561329

I find the fact that anyone at this point believes a word that comes out of this woman's mouth at this point mindboggling. Really, truly, mindboggling.

15. bigtexxx

She's a liar. Just like her husband.

16. treeman

treeman Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>MORE: Clinton: No classified material sent via her personal emails while secretary of state: <a href="http://t.co/3LAdM4kEW3">http://t.co/3LAdM4kEW3</a></p>&mdash; The Associated Press (@AP) <a href="https://twitter.com/AP/status/575378448274882560">March 10, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Does anyone REALLY believe that this is possible? Over the course of four years, tens of thousands of emails, the Secretary of State never ONCE sent or discussed any classified material? I don't see how that's remotely possible.

17. treeman

treeman Member

It just keeps getting better and better...

State Dept. Source: Hillary Likely Used Unauthorized iPad, iPhone as Sec. of State

Besides exclusively using a secret email account to conduct official government business, it’s likely that Hillary Clinton also used unauthorized electronic equipment—an iPad and an iPhone—as Secretary of State after being warned not to, a veteran State Department official told Judicial Watch this week.

On at least half a dozen occasions Clinton’s top aides asked the State Department’s Office of Security Technology to approve the use of an iPad and iPhone, according to JW’s inside source. Each time the request was rejected for security reasons, the source confirms. The only mobile device that meets the agency’s security standards is the BlackBerry, JW’s source said, adding that the Office of Security Technology—Bureau of Diplomatic Security’s Directorate of Countermeasures must approve all equipment such as cameras, phones and communication devices for all officials.

Evidently set on using the popular Apple devices, Clinton repeatedly challenged the ban and asked management in the Office of Security Technology to allow their use. The executive secretariat responsible for all communications and information technology always rejected the requests, JW’s source affirms. “From day one Hillary was trying to get the iPhone and the iPad approved,” the State Department official told JW. “She kept trying and trying to get us to approve the iPhone and the iPad, but we wouldn’t do it. Technology security experts tested the iPhone and the iPad several times because she constantly wanted them approved, but it never happened.”

The longtime State Department employee reveals that it’s common knowledge among government security tech experts that Apple devices don’t meet strict security standards so agency insiders were puzzled that the Secretary of State was hell-bent on using them. “There was a lot of head-scratching,” JW’s source revealed. Every State Department employee goes through a rigorous security training that includes strict warnings about using non approved equipment or personal email like Clinton did throughout her tenure as the president’s chief foreign affairs officer, the agency insider said.

Clinton’s persistent efforts to persuade the State Department’s technology security experts to approve the use of her favorite Apple devices led those in the division to conclude that she did in fact go through with it. “My guess is she did it and wanted approval after the fact,” JW’s source said. “But no waivers were ever issued.” JW reached out to the State Department for a comment on this latest potential scandal surrounding its former leader, but failed to get a response.

http://www.judicialwatch.org/blog/2015/03/state-dept-source-hillary-likely-used-unauthorized-ipad-iphone-as-sec-of-state/

I wonder what the Russians and Chinese know about her after reading all of her email that we don't? We'll never know...

18. Major

Major Member

If it's not true, it will be easy to prove - all it takes is one person who received one of these emails and doesn't want her to be President.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Security protocol? You might meant something else. It seems the server was very secure given that it was setup for Bill Clinton and protected by government service. This lead me to believe... it was setup by the government for former presidents. Bush might even have one such server now.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't know about what confidential info can be electronically sent. Do you?

I would think that US might have a separate government intranet for it's very sensitive info. But I don't know.