1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New yankee sign stealing info?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Htown Legend, Jun 13, 2020.

1. raining threes

Quoted for truth

This gets down to the heart of the matter.

Cant have a small market team that pisses off the media as the best team in baseball and beating up on the cash cows while they're at it.

SemisolidSnake, awc713 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Was so annoyed with how the Astros were treated. The northeast baseball media doing their best to keep attention off their teams and blame the Astros. Other mlb writers having their "revenge" on Luhnow who "destroyed" baseball with how he rebuilt the astros. He was hated on for tanking but then the talent came to the big leagues and you couldn't trash talk anymore. It's obvious what happened. A witchhunt on the Astros

3. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

This is about the best news I could have woke up to. But I do have a sinking feeling it’ll just get passed over like the Red Sox’ 2018 cheating with Cora. Hoping that’s not the case...

4. Buck Turgidson

Hi Aaron,

I like you. Do you like me? Check

[ ] yes
    [ ] no

Paul

RayRay10, raining threes and awc713 like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

Casual reminder:

This is how I feel:

#45 awc713, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  6. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

guys... Jeff Passan gets it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

It makes a difference in how the Astros are viewed long term.

Major League Baseball knows it was a long standing problem (sign stealing) made worse by technology.

They didn’t even want to investigate it until forced to after CHOMO went public. Astros front office figured they were insulated because it was so rampant.

**** runs down hill so the owner was protected but not the GM and coach. The owner and commissioner believed it wouldn’t be as big a deal and die down. It didn’t. So it was predictable how the league handled the Red Sox scandal.

Problem is the 2017 letter could undermine what the commissioner has maintained about sign stealing.

We have an MVP (Yelich) that has been benefiting from sign stealing since going to Milwaukee. We have the Mets accusing the Dodgers of stealing signs illegally (technology). The Red Sox have been caught multiple times. Yankees have been caught with illegal use of technology.

If enough comes out, down the line the scorn against the Astros will be less.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The other thing about stealing signs that isn't being discussed is the fact since everyone is stealing them your team has to realize when your signals have been 'decoded' and it's time to switch them up. You'd think a team would notice a loud banging every time a slider is signalled -- followed by the batter taking the pitch over and over again.

10. Nook

Nook Member

A big part of what makes baseball so uniquely American and timeless is the cheating and flawed nature of the game.

Whether it is teams clamoring to get vets that can steal signs and cheat (Beltran and Alou) or watching alcoholics hit bombs only hours after driving to the ballpark smashed after a night of sinful behavior (Bagwell, Cammy, Mantle, Grace), guys altering their bat (Belle, Sosa, DiMaggio) or stupid remedies like bedding hideous women or pissing on their hands.

Cheating is constantly happening... the Cards won WS with mediocre pitchers that cheated (Suppan, Williams) or Astros (Scott, Fiers, Niekro).

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hoping for more than just this. It would be nice for some clemency in 2021 draft.

Though, I am curious what letter will say. If it does confirm sign stealing...Crane should be pissed.

12. Nook

Nook Member

I think you are being way too optimistic. I suspect that they will redact more than they should and it will end up with an in camera inspection by the Judge before it gets out. I don’t expect a smoking gun but then again MLB leadership is stupid.

My guess is we pay our punishment regardless. What would be nice is for Cole to fizzle in NY and Santos (who we got with the Cole pick) to become a Hall of Famer....

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Nothing on the major sports outlets. This is incredible. Can someone retweet this to that b**** Tyler Bauer?

#53 RKREBORN, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    RayRay10, Dgn1 and raining threes like this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

15. Nook

Nook Member

The person to watch is Alex Bregman. He is very young, but the brightest guy in the clubhouse and the best connected. When he starts tweeting then there is likely something substantial going down.

RayRay10, mikol13, IowaAstro and 7 others like this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Hope does not equal what I expect. I am curious what the Yankees would be worried about if it isn't a smoking gun.

RayRay10, raining threes and Nook like this.
  17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

He tweeted a GIF this morning but has deleted it.

18. cdain3

cdain3 Member

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

MLB will admit that the Yankees cheated. As punishment, the Astros will lose two more draft picks.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I haven’t been this excited probably all year lol