1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New study states Houston not as affordable as it seems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by da1, Sep 24, 2013.

1. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

I work from home most days and save quite a bit on gas, parking, tolls, additional maintenance, etc. Telecommuting FTW!

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Look the party that you support has been cutting transportation funding for years. TxDOT currently needs an additional 5 billion dollars just to maintain current levels of congestion. They're literally turning highways into gravel roads in rural areas of Texas.

And you're naive enough to think that we'll just magically be able to build new highways and expand existing ones forever in order to allow people to keep purchasing cheap suburban housing?

And now that we have massive transportation budget issues, I guarantee you that rural Texans won't standby and watch their roads get turned into gravel while Houston gets highway expansions. They'll divert every dollar they can get for their own communities. Transportation is going to turn into a massive free for all like education spending soon. It'll be rural versus urban and the city of Houston won't win every battle. (particularly if Republicans in the House keep marginalizing Democrats who overwhelmingly represent the cities of Texas)

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

there are 3 guarantees in life, death, taxes, and a da1 thread will feature bigtexxx getting into an argument with him.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Sorry but your visions of the rural plebeians storming the big cities with their pitchforks in hand is not a very compelling case. TxDot is your typical inefficient government organization. They've had outside help in there to help them reduce costs. They need more help to become more efficient.

We have a long way to go

5. da1

da1 Member

Brazil's Paraná state capital Curitiba is planning to build a subway line and highway concessionaire Triunfo Participações e Investimentos (TPI) (Bovespa: TPIS3) is seriously studying the project, TPI president Carlo Bottarelli told BNamericas.
    The subway initiative would be a first for the city and a first for the highway concessionaire. The city is planning to build a US$1bn, 22km system that will cross the city from south to north, Curitiba business relations secretary Luiz de Carvalho told BNamericas.

6. da1

da1 Member

The rural areas already got the politicians to shoot down the gravel road idea. Face it there isn't anymore money for your absurd highway expansion fetid he's meaning congestion will get worse and people will clamor for mass transit.

7. bigtexxx

so your defense is the boogeyman-like "people will clamor for it!!"

where's the clamoring now? Elected politicians aren't clamoring

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

$800 a month in houston

[​IMG]

$800 a month in NYC

[​IMG]

9. bigtexxx

^^

The NYC crib above assumes splitting the place with a roommate

10. da1

da1 Member

Maybe in the outlying areas of houston

11. da1

da1 Member

The price is higher because there is a demand to live there. THINK CRITICALLY

12. bigtexxx

so it has nothing to do with the supply of housing?

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

In the short run, yes.

14. geeimsobored

Its ok apparently hiring new people in TxDOT will erase a multi billion dollar deficit that will allow us to build highways forever.

15. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Not just the demand of housing, but the price range of those looking to buy or rent. Remember, NYC has more millionaires per capita than any other major US city.

16. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i dont care what the justification is, youre still paying 800 a month to live in a broom closet.. and no you can find plenty of places like that in houston for under 1000 a month, single bedroom, access to gym, pool, and washing rooms..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q4FoAr8i26g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

they all live in new jersey..

18. da1

da1 Member

Demand. Same thing in houston the areas where there is a demand to live prices are higher.

19. hairyme

hairyme Member

NYC ranked #4?!? That's the clearest of all signs that your metric is garbage.

Ha! I wish.

Maybe I get paid 5K more up here than I would in Houston? And that's generous. The cost of living here is ludicrous, and I don't even own a house or pay property taxes. I ended up here by accident and will get out as soon as I can...

20. geeimsobored

I didnt realize that your only choices were Manhattan style urban development or endless sprawl like Houston.

Apparently other types of development plans dont exist.