1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Rocket Team Report out tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by barbourdg, Jun 8, 2001.

1. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

I find the last paragraph interesting, that the rocket staff feel Shandon will be back next year. I bet since Francis, Cat & Shandon are working together this offseason, they are building some on court chemistry. Maybe shandon can find that edge he had in Utah, there were a few games this past season that he played like an allstar.

Rockets Team Report
    By Michael Murphy/Houston Chronicle
    Draft pick scenario puts end to deal
    JUNE 7, 2001 Print it

The Rockets' bid to move up in the Draft was torpedoed by Orlando, which altered everything by doing nothing. And if you can follow all the convoluted twists and turns to this plot, then give me a call. Perhaps you can explain to me the baffling popularity of Melanie Griffth.
    Gentlemen, start your flowcharts...
    Basically, here's what transpired -- the Grizzlies had a June 1 deadline to fork over one a first-round pick -- only if it was among the top 18 -- to the Pistons, which would have fulfilled the terms of a trade for Otis Thorpe way back in 1997.
    The Rockets, ever the opportunists, were willing to help the Grizzlies out of their dilemma by shipping the 18th pick, which Vancouver could then send to Detroit. But. . .that No. 18 pick, which was originally New York's, which was owed to Phoenix in the Luc Longley deal, which was then owed by the Suns to Orlando in the Penny Hardaway deal.
    Got that?
    Orlando then owed it to Houston, a residual from the Steve Francis trade. The Rockets were then going to package their three first-rounders to Vancouver for the No. 6 pick, a very cozy spot in the pecking order where they hoped to get a Shane Battier-type talent. Vancouver would have then passed that No. 18 pick on to Detroit.
    Orlando cleverly waited until after June 1, killing the Vancouver deal since the Grizzlies couldn't get that 18th pick. By doing that, Orlando assured the Pistons of getting a better pick next year or the year after, and the Pistons are supposedly going to show their thanks by snapping up a high-salaried player from the Magic (Bo Outlaw and/or Michael Doleac), helping them to sign either Antonio Davis (probably) or Chris Webber.
    Some around the league accused Magic GM John Gabriel of a little double-dealing, but the Rockets shrugged it off as business as usual.
    "He did something that helped his team,'' said one Rockets' official. "We have no problem with that. He didn't break any rules. He was looking out for his team, and you can't blame him for that. Did we get hurt? Yes, but things like that happen in this business.''
    Meanwhile, the Rockets staff assembled in Chicago for the pre-Draft camp, looking at all the centers and small forwards available. The Rockets' needs at small forward might not be so pronounced since some feel that Shandon Anderson, who recently opted out of his contract, may return to Houston. Rumors have Anderson also interested in Seattle, but the instability there may cause him to once embrace Houston.

------------------

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

so, shandon and mo are interested in seattle. that may make for an interesting sign and trade possibility. maybe those two get moved to seattle in a three team deal involving GP?

------------------

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

payton to Kings , Anderson + MO to Seattle , Webber to Rockets..

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

4. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

not a Bad idea but are we gonna get the best of C-Webb in Rockets uniform?

Rockets will still missed the presence of Shandon when it comes to interior defense.

------------------
    Rudy T. will find and fulfill Rockets destiny.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Shandon Anderson returning as a Rocket does nothing to excite me or make me feel that our small forward spot is in good hands. If
    Shandon comes back I hope it is as a backup. I just don't think he has the height or the skills to be the kind of small forward that fits our needs.

------------------

6. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

this is just disinformation to strengthen the Rockets' hands in any potential deals (I hope).

------------------
    girl you looks good won't you mock that draft up?!