1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[New Restaurant] Ruggles Green

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Fatty FatBastard

Alright, most of you who know me here know that I'm not one who typically likes places that cater to vegetarians or eco-friendly places.

That said, I was dragged here last night. The place just opened on West Alabama, between Kirby & Shepherd.

First off, the place is in the process of getting its wine license, so for the time being you can bring your own bottle of wine in, and they'll open it. They didn't have a corkage fee last night, either.

Secondly, the food was damn near some of the best I've had in town, and that's saying a lot. I had an all natural hamburger, medium rare, served with sweet potato fries. I also had the tomato basil soup. Both were outstanding.

The place is set up deli-style, also. No waiters here, and the menu prices ranged between $8-14 bucks, so it's not that expensive, either. Plenty of vegetarian options, as well.

I highly recommend it.

Has anyone else been?

2. Asian Sensation

A deli-style restuarant with no waiters yet you can bring your own wine? Of course you like it.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Hadn't even heard of it before. Thanks for the heads-up, Fatismo! :)

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

If this is owned by the regular Ruggles guys the food will be superb.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

You can still actually get a medium rare hamburger these days? That's a high e-coli bacteria risk. I didn't think it was allowed anymore.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Oh, it was definitely medium rare. Nice and red in the middle.

Might be the best burger I've ever had.

7. droxford

droxford Member

I must be getting old.

8. Fatty FatBastard

Nah, you're just not seeing the concept. It might be a little high for a lunch (although not much higher than Fuddruckers, for example), but being able to bring a bottle of wine to get a romantic dinner for two where you can get some of the best food in Houston & walk out with a tab under $25?

That's a cheap date, my friends.

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

They have wine glasses or do you have to bring that too?

10. Fatty FatBastard

They have wine glasses and a corkscrew. You just need to bring the bottle. And this will change when they get their wine license, so now is the time to go!

11. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

sounds interesting... what's the concept again? all natural/organic stuff? that's pretty neat

i'll have to check it out.

12. Fatty FatBastard

Yep, but the thing that surprised me was how good it was in relation to the cost.

They have something on the menu that describes what all they do as far as recycling/natural/organic, etc.

I wish they had a website. When/if they do I'll revisit & post it on here.

13. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Since your giving me advice, let me give you some too.
    The best burger by far (and this might sound gross) is Red Robin.
    Get the Royal Red Robin hamburger. It has a egg on the burger, but it makes it taste sooooooooooo good! Best I've ever had by far!

here is the description:
    This is the aristocrat of all burgers because we crown it with a fresh fried egg. In addition, topped with three strips of hickory-smoked bacon, American cheese, crisp lettuce, tomatoes and mayo.

$9.29 w/ fries

A+++

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Um, yeah, that sounds really healthy :confused:

15. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

How different is it from the Ruggles in Rice Village? What you had sound like something you could get at the Rice Village location. I really like the sweet potato fries.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As a pescetarian, I look forward to trying this. A quick google search seems to pop up Randy Bower's LinkedIn profile as owner/investor.

Related note, the restaurant called Field of Greens which is closer to the Whole Foods there has very good, well priced food, too. No alcohol (I think), and I can guarantee you that the decor at Ruggles Green is way way better than Field of Greens, but for a quick lunch, or cheap dinner, Field of Greens is very tasty - you'd be shocked how good a fake California Club sandwhich can taste, for instance - also their fries there are great.

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I found that restaurant's myspace page and they have their menu on there...looks fantastic. I'm trying out this vegetarian thing, and so far (a couple weeks or so) I'm really feeling different physically. I have more energy, tend to eat more veggies, overeat less, and my tension headaches are gone. I thought I'd miss meat more but don't really at all.

Btw, Morningstar Farms hot dogs + Boca chili = amazing chili dogs.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Morningstar corndogs are great as well

19. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I eat Morningstar's fake breakfast sausage and their spinach & cheese bites. Tasty stuff.

20. droxford

droxford Member

Okay, yeah.. I guess can see that.

Whew! For a moment there, I thought that $8 to $14 was considered a good price for lunch nowadays!